Does anyone have a degree in Aviation Management?

PrincessPilotNJ

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
WATXNJMA
I start in 3 weeks at Bridgewater State University, and I would like to know if any POA'ers went there. I look forward to earning my degree majoring in Aviation Management!

PPNJ = Thread Starter General. Where's that popcorn icon?

:popcorn:

Oh.. found it.
GjYjLvGErsggg.gif

No idea about the school, but you'd be waaaay better served going into a 2yr or 4yr RN nursing program, far better ROI and it goes very well with aviation.

Aviation degree is right up there with a BS in basket weaving

I wish I would have done that, on my off time pick up some per diem work, travel the world as an ATP/RN, the world is your oyster.

Last edited:
No idea about the school, but you'd be waaaay better served going into a 2yr or 4yr RN nursing program, far better ROI and it goes very well with aviation.

Aviation degree is right up there with a BS in basket weaving

I wish I would have done that, on my off time pick up some per diem work, travel the world as an ATP/RN, the world is your oyster.
I am minoring in Business Marketing. I plan on going for my MBA as well. It's just Aviation Management is next up to bat.

I am minoring in Business Marketing. I plan on going for my MBA as well. It's just Aviation Management is next up to bat.

Gotcha, MBA that's a great couple letters to have!

The aviation degree, well that's a different story, really horrible ROI, but as someone who goes on these boards, I'm sure you know this.

Gotcha, MBA that's a great couple letters to have!

The aviation degree, well that's a different story, really horrible ROI, but as someone who goes on these boards, I'm sure you know this.
gotta agree with this....given the choice...go for a generic management degree vs. the aviation flavor. I bet the courses could be identical.

If they are identical, why not the Aviation flavor?

An Aviation Manage ENT degree is mostly useful in airport management; not sure it would do for much in the general business world. A degree in Business Management, however, is useful in the much larger business world AND in the aviation world. Take some Av Mgmt classes as your electives. Or: a business manager can manage an airport better than an Av Mgr can manage most businesses.

It's all about flexibility and Plan B. My own career started as Plan D or E, at least two letters farther out than I had even thought about much less planned for. And it's been good to me the last three decades. Gawd, I'm a-getting old . . . .

If they are identical, why not the Aviation flavor?
because it's too focused....and won't mean anything outside of aviation. It really means nothing other than how it reads on a resume and if someone would hire you outside of an aviation job.....should you need to go outside aviation.

I have a BS in Aviation Management. Not sure why all the hatred towards it. There are many career paths in AV Mgmt.

B.S. Aviation Mgmt, ATC, New England Aeronautical Institute, 1977, Now known as Daniel Webster College
MBA, Aviation Mgmt, Embry Riddle, 1993

I have one and it has been useless.
A lot of jobs, it's not so much the specialty of the degree, I.e., aviation or airport mgmt, but the fact that you have a degree in mgmt, you can think, you can manage projects and get things done.

I have a BS in Aviation Management. Not sure why all the hatred towards it. There are many career paths in AV Mgmt.

There's no hatred, we're just recommending a more versatile degree with widespread acceptance inside and outside of aviation. You know, for Plan B in case Plan A doesn't pan out.

Probably off topic, but the princesses pic is more risque and her face doesn't seem to match the former pic.

Not so much if aviation doesn't "work out", 'more so ROI.

An aviation mgmt degree won't get you on the bus, best case maybe get you a job as a manager at Micky D's.

A RN will clear well over 60k with little effort before the ink is dry, much much more if you hustle. Anywhere in the world. And that's for just a 2yr RN program.

If you already have a MBA, just do a P&L on it, you'll see your time would be better spent selling lemonade street side than working/wasting your time on a aviation degree.

Real world

no hatred.....hate the game not the player. :D

I too have several "aviation" degrees (Aerospace Engineering and Aviation Maintenance). With over 30 years in the industry I've had several jobs "outside" of aviation and it did take some splain'in and convincing that my degrees were applicable out of the aviation market. It would've been much simpler with "generic" degrees.

btw....Riddle Diddles are over-rated. :stirpot::lol:

Last edited:
I have an AAS in ATC and a Business Admin BS degree. The ATC degree didn't really do anything as I was already in the ATC field and just knocked it out on the way to a BS degree in Business Administration.

That's a good school. Training out of EWB. I know a couple of people that went through that course. The school is about 15 minutes down the road.
Any degree is good and if it is in something you enjoy, even better. If needed, you can always augment it with additional classes. Get the basics that become transferable to additional degrees but realize you may never get to use the degree other than to prove you have one.

I work in Higher Ed. "Any degree is good" is simply not true. I would agree with those that said get a more generic Business Degree if that is the field you want.

Going to talk out of school here a second because I see this all the time. Precious little snowflakes come to college and after having received participation trophies their whole lives, are told their feces doesn't stink,they can "be anything they want to be" or "do what makes you happy" they sign up for a degree that has no job potential. They graduate sometimes with 100s of thousands in college debt and the best job they can get is in fast food. They have no ability to ever get ahead because they are strapped with what amounts to a mortgage payment in student loans.

There is nothing wrong with pursuing your dreams but be realistic and have a fall back that will actually keep a roof over your head and food on your table. Better yet skip college get a trade and these days you are likely to make FAR MORE money.

There is nothing wrong with pursuing your dreams but be realistic and have a fall back that will actually keep a roof over your head and food on your table. Better yet skip college get a trade and these days you are likely to make FAR MORE money.

Boy you hit the nail on the head here. Skilled jobs (trades) often pay more, sometimes a lot more, than a 2 year and even a 4 year degree. And the future in skilled jobs is tremendous as most younger people are afraid of getting their hands dirty or the work may be a little more physical than they want, and many feel it's beneath them to work a trade.

I work in Higher Ed. "Any degree is good" is simply not true. I would agree with those that said get a more generic Business Degree if that is the field you want.

Going to talk out of school here a second because I see this all the time. Precious little snowflakes come to college and after having received participation trophies their whole lives, are told their feces doesn't stink,they can "be anything they want to be" or "do what makes you happy" they sign up for a degree that has no job potential. They graduate sometimes with 100s of thousands in college debt and the best job they can get is in fast food. They have no ability to ever get ahead because they are strapped with what amounts to a mortgage payment in student loans.

That

Couldn't agree more.

The same parallel applies in the engineering field. An ME can work in the aviation field no problem. A degreed Aeronautical Engineer will have a tough time working in other than the aviation field. I also say get a general business management degree.

I'm a fan of the Finance degree in the business field. I have one, and it's about as versatile as it gets in the business world. Gives you the credentials to be easily considered for positions in Project Management, FP&A, Accounting/Audit, Investments, or even an actual Finance position. I happen to have gone the route that went from Finance degree to accountant, then to FP&A/Controllership. The world will never cease to need accountants, so it's a pretty safe occupation to fall back on.

I don't have any aviation-degrees, but I can tell you that if two candidates are similar except that one has a generic business degree from a 4-yr state school, and the other has an Aviation Management degree, the candidate with the generic business degree will get further in the interview process do to not being pigeonholed.

A degreed Aeronautical Engineer will have a tough time working in other than the aviation field.
That has not been my experience in the slightest. There's a lot of crossover between mechanical, aero, and electrical engineering these days.

Nauga,
the control lawyer

That has not been my experience in the slightest. There's a lot of crossover between mechanical, aero, and electrical engineering these days.

Nauga,
the control lawyer

Sure there's lots of crossover. An aero is essentially a mechanical engineer, just focused. At the end of the day, the person with the most relevant experience will get hired. But, barring a sufficient amount qualifying experience, the more relevant degree will prevail.

AA in Aviation Maintenance.....:stirpot:

As do I from the "Community College of the Air Force" <giggle> (yes its actually accredited) and a Bachelor's in Human Resource Management from Park University. Both degrees and $5 will get you a cup of coffee from a foo foo facility.

There may be a lot of crossover, but many people with that coveted MBA in front of their name have a very closed mind when it comes to degree titles.

I got very lucky when I was working on my BS in Computer Engineering that my Dean scheduled a meeting with me out of the blue one day. He talked to me for an hour about what I wanted to do, and why I was in the program I was working on. In the end he talked me into moving from a CE to an EE degree. The bottom line is that a CE would be great if I wanted to go into chip/board manufacturing/design or something along that path, but an EE would allow me to follow those paths and many others where I would not be considered with a CE. Thank you very much Dr.

I ended up in the computer field as I had always planned, but not in design/manfacturing. My EE served me well as a degree, but other than reading an oscilloscope while looking at data feeds I have not really used it at all. I got my masters in Computer Science focused on Software Design, and that put me exactly where I wanted to be. Developer and team leader to developers.

TLDR, I agree with those that say get a more generic degree as long as it still meets the end requirements for the job you want.

Sure there's lots of crossover. An aero is essentially a mechanical engineer, just focused. At the end of the day, the person with the most relevant experience will get hired. But, barring a sufficient amount qualifying experience, the more relevant degree will prevail.
Or, in my experience trying to get an airport operations job of some kind, 3-5 years experience is required in addition to the degree with no way to get said experience. That is why I am working in a pharmacy warehouse packing prescriptions right now and instructing as a CFI very little. I have had so many students quit on me this year, I am about to give it up. It makes me angry and I and I feel ashamed of what I have to do to survive. I had to get this crappy job because CFI'ing almost put me in a bankruptcy hole. Now I am just in a financial hole. Life sucks and tomorrow I turn 45.

David

Back