Votes: 24 15.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Scrabo

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Scrabo
I saw on the AOPA website last week the lucky folks who were part of the "One Week to solo" project - all three were waiting flight suits.

So I was curious - do you & why ?

I did when I was in CAP sometimes (although 99% of the time I wore the blue & gray corporate uni), but never in my own plane.

I don't see the point in wearing a flight suit (unless they're NOMEX perhaps - but still).

Last edited:
Like the air force or something??

I do for work. It's part of the required uniform. I don't for personal flying for the same reason why I don't wear a helmet. Odds of me requiring the added protection isn't worth the hassle of putting them on.

I plan on wearing one on my Check ride.

In your case for the CAP is normal. For a hobby pilot... A bit goofy IMO.

IMO too. I always guessed people did it to stay clean (thinking coveralls) but then that implies they have regular clothes on underneath which would be bulky and hot.

If someone wants extra fire protection then NOMEX coveralls do that - but at the expense of comfort. In that case are you really that worried about fire? And, if so, did you provide any NOMEX to your passengers? :D

On my own plane, hell no!

For work I have to wear the damn thing, nomex is hot in the summer and cold in the winter, you look like a monkey, it's just not cool.

Anyone who wears one of their own free will needs to have their head checked.

IMO too. I always guessed people did it to stay clean (thinking coveralls) but then that implies they have regular clothes on underneath which would be bulky and hot.

If someone wants extra fire protection then NOMEX coveralls do that - but at the expense of comfort. In that case are you really that worried about fire? And, if so, did you provide any NOMEX to your passengers? :D

I've never met anyone who wore normal clothes underneath, t shirt and boxers.

I have two sets of flying pajamas: A nomex one and a reproduction 1930s/40s style wool one. I wear the nomex when flying warbirds. I'll occasionally wear the wool one to fly ins in the Waco when I want to keep my oil off of my clothes.

I don't wear a flight suit in the Baron or other traditional GA airplanes.

Of course there is always this, for those that like to wear nice clothing under their coverall - or having an old friend over for dinner.

Attachments

• Hannibal.jpg
    Hannibal.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
I am disappointed no one has gone for #4 yet - we know you are out there !!

Maybe because most of the older generation don't think he is cool anymore and the younger generation don't know he flew an F14 in the movies? :dunno:

Wing Suits are the only suit I would wear when it comes to flying :yes::yes:

I do in winter because they are so warm but not in summer for he same reason.

Of course I wear a flight suit.....what else would one wear? :D

tron-guy-plane.jpg

I have debated buying one for a Halloween costume and then wearing it walking out to a 172 just to give people a laugh. Have not done it yet though.

Of course I wear a flight suit.....what else would one wear? :D

tron-guy-plane.jpg

I knew it was only a manner of time before this one showed up.:goofy:

Thanks to the 3 (so far) who were brave enough to get out of the closet, your flight suit I mean :nono:

I kept a few flightsuits from my military days. They've actually made great coveralls for painting and such.

I see guys wearing them when performing in air shows, that makes sense to me... Flying around in a 172/182 makes no sense to me.... Especially the cosplay of uniforms of CAP.

In the winter I haven't found nomex to be any warmer or colder than say jeans and a long sleeve shirt....but I have found that nomex is more comfortable and warmer when wearing over long underwear on cold open cockpit days.

I wear a tuxedo under mine. You never know ;)

When I was a kid I had one that I wore all the time, and little aviator sunglasses because of Top Gun. God I loved that movie.

Ill wear an old one now and again for doing work on the car or around the house.

We wear flight suits in the RV when temps drop into the 30s, which is thankfully rare on the gulf coast.

Why? Because the RV-8 has NO heat in the back cockpit! The front hole has adequate heat, but it doesn't trickle into the back enough to make much difference, especially on an overcast day. Since we switch PIC every other flight, we're both gonna be in the back cockpit at some point on every flight of any distance.

...If someone wants extra fire protection then NOMEX coveralls do that - but at the expense of comfort...

:confused: I wear a nomex flight suit when required for certain CAP activities, and have always found it to be quite comfortable.

I wear a tuxedo under mine. You never know ;)...

I once wore a tuxedo while flying to a Monterey Symphony concert that I was playing in. When a couple in the FBO commented on it, I said, "Oh, you didn't know this was a formal airport!" ;)

For some reason, the guy didn't look like he thought it was funny. :dunno:

Of course I wear a suit in flight.
b95b66e3170dc574c6b61c414d7b70b6.jpg
That was a different time.....and he had money to burn.

It does remind me of old photos of aircraft flight tests in the 1930s. The company execs and test pilots would wear flight suits over their full business suits.

That was a different time.....and he had money to burn.

It does remind me of old photos of aircraft flight tests in the 1930s. The company execs and test pilots would wear flight suits over their full business suits.

Reminds me of the old photos of people all dressed up in their finest threads to fly on a commercial airliner.... Nowadays it's people wearing Hello Kitty pants that are 2 sizes too small.

The Commemorative Air Force is now requiring all pilots and required crew members of CAF aircraft to wear Nomex flight suits. No such requirements for pax.

I have debated buying one for a Halloween costume and then wearing it walking out to a 172 just to give people a laugh. Have not done it yet though.

The sad part is that most people wouldn't even get the joke. I see guys in flight suits at the airport regularly. Usually walking across the ramp to the helipad though.

I question even the safety aspect of a nomex flight suit. When companies like Simpson or Impact racing test their racing fire suits they blow fire at them for a very short amount of time. IIRC it's less than 10 seconds even for the thick multi layer drag racing suits. Idea being that the nomex is simply there to buy you the time to get out of the vehicle. If your plane has an ejection seat this might be realistic, but if not and you're on fire that suit isn't gonna do you a damn bit of good.

:confused: I wear a nomex flight suit when required for certain CAP activities, and have always found it to be quite comfortable.

Especially in Fresno in summer....not.

I'll wear the flight suit when I have to. I get the option at work. I don't take it.

I wear my Pitts flight suit in the Pitts
I wear my Piper flight suit in the Cub
I wear my Cessna flight suit in the 172
I wear my Chevrolet flight suit driving my Suburban
I wear my Ducati flight suit riding my 1198
I wear my Kawasaki flight suit on my jet ski
I wear my Baja flight suit in my boat
I wear my Honda flight suit on my scooter
I wear my Dixon flight suit riding my lawnmower
I wear no flight suit riding my old lady :)

yes. The PR's would probably look at me pretty weird if I wasn't in one when walking.....

Back