Do You Tip When Getting Carry-Out?

Mooney Fan

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mooney Fan
Thinking about this yesterday when I picked up some Big Daddy's Barbecue. I never tip for carryout unless they went up and beyond just taking my money then handing me the food. I don't tip maids either.

What say you?

If its a sit down restaurant where they would normally bring you your food and refill your drinks then I usually add a few bucks for take out orders. I figure someone that normally gets tips may be spending some time getting some of that stuff ready.

I tip to reward good service, not to ensure it as some signs would lead you to believe. If a take-out place cashier is friendly, polite, and my order is correct, I tip. If our hotel room is clean, in good condition, and supplies are replenished, I tip. More if they go out of their way (towel sculptures, handwritten notes, responses to notes or requests I've left, etc.). At restaurants and pubs, I routinely tip 20%, unless a significant portion of the bill is an $80 bottle of wine. On the other hand, on the very few occasions when service has been glaringly awful, especially due to attitude or rudeness, I have left 10% or even nothing. When it's so bad I leave no tip at all, we generally never go back....if we did, we'd probably be identified as awful people who don't tip and receive even worse service, so there's no point.

I like to tip... it's a nice, concrete way of saying "Thank you!," and it's difficult for me not to. On the other hand, I hate to reward rude, nasty, incompetent people on the rare occasions I encounter them in the service industry. I'll happily tip someone who is incompetent but pleasant and trying hard.

I tip to reward good service, not to ensure it as some signs would lead you to believe. If a take-out place cashier is friendly, polite, and my order is correct, I tip. If our hotel room is clean, in good condition, and supplies are replenished, I tip. More if they go out of their way (towel sculptures, handwritten notes, responses to notes or requests I've left, etc.). At restaurants and pubs, I routinely tip 20%, unless a significant portion of the bill is an $80 bottle of wine. On the other hand, on the very few occasions when service has been glaringly awful, especially due to attitude or rudeness, I have left 10% or even nothing. When it's so bad I leave no tip at all, we generally never go back....if we did, we'd probably be identified as awful people who don't tip and receive even worse service, so there's no point.

I like to tip... it's a nice, concrete way of saying "Thank you!," and it's difficult for me not to. On the other hand, I hate to reward rude, nasty, incompetent people on the rare occasions I encounter them in the service industry. I'll happily tip someone who is incompetent but pleasant and trying hard.

Sounds like you just really like giving money to people who are nice to you.

I usually tip because I believe they could use the money.

Tipping is so far out of control right now. Generation M seems to expect it for putting coffee in a cup. Sorry kid, unless you're going above and beyond your normal duties, not happening.

In a sit-down place, if you are waiting on me, checking on me, making sure my drink is full, in other words, outstanding service, then yes, I tip well...

The only time I have ever tipped on a carryout order was at Amy's ice cream in Austin Texas. The guy actually threw the ice cream scoop up in the air and caught it with the cone. It was entertaining and it was great service. Simply installing ice cream on a cone... Nope.

Good, friendly customer service should be the norm, not the exception in a customer service job.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Lousy service? No tip but I make it a point to talk to the manager. I also tell the manager when the service is excellent. They rarely hear good news, so it makes a better impression for the wait staff.

I always tip based on satisfaction. If I get lousy service, your tip will be greatly affected or may not get one at all. If you are attentive, I will tip well.

Takeout depends on the restaurant. Someone has to prepare the food, box it up etc., so a lot of times I’ll throw a few bucks in the jar.

Sounds like you just really like giving money to people who are nice to you.
Well...yes, kind of. I like giving money to people who are nice and try hard. Like I said, I don't subscribe to the practice of tipping to ensure, i.e., as a PREREQUISITE for getting good service...pleasant, good service should be the default. I like to tip as a reward and a thank you for it. I tend to be a grateful person.

I'm 50/50 on carryout tipping. If I do, I round it up a couple of bucks+the change to make an even .00 number on the charge ticket. I.E. 2.38, or something like that.

My wife tips hotel housekeepers $6/per night we stay. By myself, I do zero.

But I'm getting a little concerned about tips lately, especially with the tip-entitlement attitude that seems pervasive among food-service workers. Now, if you don't tip someone, for whatever reason, you stand the chance of having your ticket posted on Instagram or some other social media site, and I get my mug on the local TV station while I'm being tip-shamed.

Here's a recent example. It's not alone: https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/restaurant-patron-state-senator-new-jersey-state-senator-tip-jerk

If it's a takeout only place with a counter, the employees are on a hourly wage and no tip is owed.
If it's a sit-down restaurant and the waiter or bartender has to take time to process your takeout order, he does so on a 'tipped wage' of $3.50/hr. Sure , you can be a duck and say 'thats his problem', or you can give him a few percent on the order to recognize that he puts in a day's work and needs to pay rent just like anyone else.

If it's a takeout only place with a counter, the employees are on a hourly wage and no tip is owed.
If it's a sit-down restaurant and the waiter or bartender has to take time to process your takeout order, he does so on a 'tipped wage' of $3.50/hr. Sure , you can be a duck and say 'thats his problem', or you can give him a few percent on the order to recognize that he puts in a day's work and needs to pay rent just like anyone else.
And it doesn't help when Uncle Sam automatically taxes servers (waiters etc) on 'assumed tips'. My kids were hosed quite often when we lived in So Cal. Some cultures don't believe in tips period.

On take out, I tip the delivery guy.

big daddy bbq? Is that a chain?

I do.
10% for carry out
20% dine in
20+% for great service

Never put a ton of thought it in...just evolved into this.

Tipping is so far out of control right now. Generation M seems to expect it for putting coffee in a cup. Sorry kid, unless you're going above and beyond your normal duties, not happening.

I wonder if it's an Internet thing. Before we were all connected I imagine there was nowhere to compare, nowhere to complain, nobody to virtue signal, harder to shame, etc. If you were a server you got what you got and you had little to measure whether it was good or bad. Habits were probably not so homogenized either.

Aside from a sit down restaurant or bar, I do not tip.

I tip at take out and also the chambermaid at hotels.

I hate tipping takeout, baristas, and pizza delivery (esp. the ones that charge a delivery fee). But, I often do because here in the USA, the entire food service industry seems to rely on it. And, I have some empathy for the young guys and girls, many of whom are working to put themselves through school.

By the same token, I have no sympathy for the $15/hr career burger flippers. I tip 20% at sit-down restaurants and bars with good service. $2 to $5 to bellhops, room service, shuttle drivers and such. I will not tip you if you are a flippant little twerp, come to my table with dirty hands, dish rags, or leave hair in my food.

Generally no, although I will sometimes put my change into the tip jar.

I find the entire idea of mandatory tipping obnoxious. I do it at the sit down places because you're pretty much obligated to by the knowledge that the restaurant doesn't pay their staff properly and social expectations. If I'm supposed to pay 20% extra than why isn't the price of food just 20% more? Or just put a service fee on the bill. Just pay the staff reasonably, I shouldn't have to make a decision as to what to pay my waiter every meal. Beyond that why is it a percentage? Do they work harder to carry a $30 plate out than a $10 plate? See none of this makes any sense.

The one argument for it I've seen is to somehow motivate the staff to do a better job. I've been out to eat in countries where tipping is not the custom and it's not much different you just pay more for the meal and don't tip. Makes sense, we've made it essentially mandatory here so they're expecting to get it, why would that motivate anyone?

Servers generally have to box up your stuff at a sit down place, so I'll give them 10%. While boxing your food, they are not at a table so......... I won't tip a carry out place though.

The only guy I tip is the one who smears some nameless fluid on my windshield at the intersection.

I’ve only heard of tipping the maids at hotels like a year ago. I didn’t even know that was a thing.

and it shouldn't be. they get paid to clean rooms, if they dont make enough then quit and when the rooms dont get cleaned management will have to raise pay to get people to do the job. now if i call down to the desk and say, hey can i have a few more towels because i just want them at 200am and the maid brings them right up,then a tip is in order, but to do the job they are paid for, no way. the line, but they do not get paid much, is bogus also. should you get tipped because a regional pays so much less than a major? i get it with waiters because of the way the pay is set. but maids get paid an hourly rate to do the job, not enough? there is the door.

Another thing to consider - When you frequent a particular restaurant, you better be sure to tip well or else you’ll have a target on your forehead each time you walk through the door.

If it’s an occasional or rare visit somewhere and the service sucks, don’t bother tipping, because they didn’t earn your buck.

I’ll be honest, I hate the places who automatically tack on an 18% gratuity for parties of 6 or more. Usually the service is good when the party is bigger, but if it’s not, I shouldn’t be obligated to pay them a generous tip.

Thinking about this yesterday when I picked up some Big Daddy's Barbecue. I never tip for carryout unless they went up and beyond just taking my money then handing me the food. I don't tip maids either.

What say you?
No, but I always feel like an ****ole

Nice thing about Germany is tips are much less expected. If a restaurant takes credit cards most of the receipts don’t even have a spot to add a tip. And over here you don’t leave cash on the table. You give it directly to them, normally by telling them to give you less change or no change at all (keep the change).

Nice thing about Germany is tips are much less expected. If a restaurant takes credit cards most of the receipts don’t even have a spot to add a tip. And over here you don’t leave cash on the table. You give it directly to them, normally by telling them to give you less change or no change at all (keep the change).

The standard model of payment for a waiter in Germany is 10% of the check. It is paid by the restaurant out of the check total. If you give a 5% tip, you bump the waiters pay by 50%. A couple of euro coins handed to the waiter is always appreciated but not expected.

What say you?

I ALWAYS tip maids. They are not in it for the money....it is hard, difficult work, usually performed by people unable to qualify for more intellectually demanding jobs, and they need all the help they can get. I do not tip at carry-out restaurants, but I ALWAYS tip at sit-down restaurants for the same reason.

Bob Gardner

Heh. You'd be surprised by the level of service you can get from a maid when you give her a $120 tip.

+1 For maids, especially down in Mexico not easy or fun work. I usually bring $100 worth of $5 bills and the cleaning lady gets one every day...the room is always spotless. I wonder if just 3 or 4 other people do that everyday it might be more than her regular days pay. I never do all inclusive but if there’s a breakfast that is made to order I’ll leave at least $25 per week.

20% for great sit down service at any restaurant.

Just a dollar or two for a buffet.

10% for our favorite take spots out where I pick it up. Otherwise usually no tip.

The pizza guy always gets around $3..$5

Heh. You'd be surprised by the level of service you can get from a maid when you give her a $120 tip.

When she comes in to clean, do you have the cash draped over your... Oh, never mind.

That’s an impressive tip, she must’ve gone above and beyond the call of duty with the services that she provided you!

+1 For maids, especially down in Mexico not easy or fun work. I usually bring $100 worth of $5 bills and the cleaning lady gets one every day...the room is always spotless. I wonder if just 3 or 4 other people do that everyday it might be more than her regular days pay. I never do all inclusive but if there’s a breakfast that is made to order I’ll leave at least $25 per week.

20% for great sit down service at any restaurant.

Just a dollar or two for a buffet.

10% for our favorite take spots out where I pick it up. Otherwise usually no tip.

The pizza guy always gets around $3..$5

I bring few $100s is $5 bill too, for a completely diff reason though .

$20 for dine in. Nothing for take out unless they are delivering the food to my car when it’s -20 out and I am too lazy to go in.

I leave a $10 or so for the hotel maids.

I prefer to dine and dash.....:lol::lol:

Actually for take out, if there is a tip jar next to the register, I may drop a dollar into it. If it is one of those places where you drive up, call them and they bring it out to me, I may give a tip. depends on the weather.

I prefer to dine and dash.....
I actually knew some kids in high school that used to do that. I already knew they were dumb, but that just revealed their complete ignorance. :fingerwag:

Back