Do you read back "frequency change approved"?

Do you read back "frequency change Approved"?

• Yes, read back "frequency change approved"

Votes: 28 25.2%
  • No, I ignore that portion of the instructions since it's not a clearance

Votes: 31 27.9%
  • Not verbatim, I say....

Votes: 52 46.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Badger

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Badger
It's a mouthful for me, though I ususally try to spit it out.
I often hear other pilots not even read back that part.

What do you do?

It's a mouthful for me, though I ususally try to spit it out.
I often hear other pilots not even read back that part.

What do you do?
I never read that back. I'll usually say something to acknowledge like' 16C, See Ya'. If it is super busy and they are working other aircraft, I'll just change freqs without saying anything.

"Thanks," and if it's my home field, "Thanks, see you later."

I'll say something like...

"467SA over to Atlanta on 133.1", sometimes amending "Thanks for your help" or "Good day" or something, depending on how busy the frequency is.

I like to repeat the frequency - it gives them a chance to correct me if I copied it wrong.

"N12345, on behalf off all pilots, I would like to take a moment to offer my sincere appreciation for your time and effort in assuring we have safe passage through your airspace. I hope we get to do it again sometime soon. YEEHAWWWWW!"

In the FRZ around Washington, I acknowledge by "Keep the squawk, change the talk, have a good day, Cessna 1234"

Otherwise, "Thanks, be seeing you"

I don't read it back, but I'm not sure it's wrong to do it. I think it depends on why the phrase came out

If I was in flight following and reported airport in sight, I'm going to get "Frequency change approved" so my response will be "Thank you for the help". If they're dropping me at their request, then I'll probably put "Squawking VFR" or whatever in front of it.

If they change the squawk I'll read that back otherwise "Good day"

"Squawk VFR, G'day"

Rojaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!

That reminds me....whatever happened to that moron who landed on the beach on Long Island?

Are you expected to reply when they quit your flight following due to terrain?

"JetStar 9876, radar service lost, squawk 1200, frequency change approved."

I never like that conversation as it seems terribly one-sided and unilateral, without giving me a chance to see if I can reestablish radar coverage.

I just respond with my abbreviated call sign and leave it at that.

Rojaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!

You think you're joking! Several of the first four or five captains I flew with at my airline ALL did the "Rojaaaahhhhhh!!!" when acknowledging some internal communication. Thankfully I never heard it go out over the air. I was thinking, "Is this some inside airline joke?" I never asked...just sort of ignored it...and made a point to NOT do it myself!

Mostly just a "good day" or "thanks"

Unless... If I'm just going out to the practice area or a little sight seeing I'll advise: "plane123, will be monitoring you, maneuvering over [something], call you when I'm coming back"

Nice to let them know what the blip is, and they can advise me of stuff if they want.

You think you're joking! Several of the first four or five captains I flew with at my airline ALL did the "Rojaaaahhhhhh!!!" when acknowledging some internal communication. Thankfully I never heard it go out over the air. I was thinking, "Is this some inside airline joke?" I never asked...just sort of ignored it...and made a point to NOT do it myself!

Have you seen the "Livng the Dream part II" video yet? Some classic stuff right there.

Rojaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!

That reminds me....whatever happened to that moron who landed on the beach on Long Island?
The rumor is that his license was revoked. But I have no source to confirm nor deny it. I am sure somebody here knows. This idiot is bound to have friends so I assume someone on here knows him and can tell us his fate.

We use it as well, internally only, as a tribute to the moron mentioned by FT above. We laugh every time. What a tool he was! :)

"[abbreviated tail number] Thanks-good-day"

Quick and easy

But the trick is to mumble it in the deepest voice possible so everyone on the frequency knows you're a badass.

Readback, no, sign-off, yes. Tail number + "good day" so they're not left hanging.

Depends how busy the controller is. Local controller, always give a good day/night/have-a-good-weekend sign-off. Usually something like "1200, have a good day, 7DS"

I'll say something like...

"467SA over to Atlanta on 133.1", sometimes amending "Thanks for your help" or "Good day" or something, depending on how busy the frequency is.

I like to repeat the frequency - it gives them a chance to correct me if I copied it wrong.

If you're being handed off and given a frequency that's the way I handle it as well. I think the OP was talking about VFR departures where you simply get "frequency change approved" with no frequency given. Basically meaning, you can stop talking to me now.

I just say "thank you" or "good day" with my callsign.

If you're being handed off and given a frequency that's the way I handle it as well. I think the OP was talking about VFR departures where you simply get "frequency change approved" with no frequency given. Basically meaning, you can stop talking to me now.

I just say "thank you" or "good day" with my callsign.

yes departures or anytime leaving a controllers airspace (VFR approaching destination), etc

I never read that back. I'll usually say something to acknowledge like' 16C, See Ya'. If it is super busy and they are working other aircraft, I'll just change freqs without saying anything.
Ditto.

^^^^ That.

"Squawk VFR, Cessna 345, see ya".

Pretty much all that is needed.

During training flying out of Bravo to the practice area it was usually a read-back that included: leaving bravo, frequency change approved, squawk vfr, radar coverage terminated.

My cfi let me struggle with that for I don't know how long before he kindly mentioned the shortcut. What a jerk. :lol:

Are you expected to reply when they quit your flight following due to terrain?

"JetStar 9876, radar service lost, squawk 1200, frequency change approved."

I never like that conversation as it seems terribly one-sided and unilateral, without giving me a chance to see if I can reestablish radar coverage.

The few times that has happened, I've asked what was needed, and the answer was altitude. Sometimes I can comply, sometimes not. Not something I'd do on a busy frequency, but this seems to happen in BFE.

To answer the OP, usually just my call sign.

How about "N714YF Last Call"

(one of the most useless things that has cropped up on the CTAF in a long time).

Back