Do you read back "frequency change approved"?

Do you read back "frequency change Approved"?

• Yes, read back "frequency change approved"

Votes: 28 25.2%
  • No, I ignore that portion of the instructions since it's not a clearance

Votes: 31 27.9%
  • Not verbatim, I say....

Votes: 52 46.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I never read that back. I'll usually say something to acknowledge like' 16C, See Ya'. If it is super busy and they are working other aircraft, I'll just change freqs without saying anything.

Audience survey sez... Good Answer!!

How about "N714YF Last Call"

(one of the most useless things that has cropped up on the CTAF in a long time).

I'm not sure that it's COMPLETELY useless, so I've decided not to get worked up about it! ;)

At the end of an IFR or FF flight, assuming I cancel IFR in the air, I read back "squawk VFR" and I say "thanks" or "see ya" or "so long" but not "freq change approved" or "change to advisory frequency approved".

If I request the freq change as I might when I'm still nearing the edge of B, C, or D airspace (or if I request to leave freq and come back) and they say that then I just acknowledge with "roger, thanks". If they tell me to report back up, I use "wilco".

Last edited:
I'm not sure that it's COMPLETELY useless, so I've decided not to get worked up about it! ;)

It's all I can do to avoid responding with "You promise?" or "I'll have a double scotch to go."

If you're being handed off and given a frequency that's the way I handle it as well. I think the OP was talking about VFR departures where you simply get "frequency change approved" with no frequency given. Basically meaning, you can stop talking to me now.

I just say "thank you" or "good day" with my callsign.

This is usually the consequence of a plane departing from Class D airspace and making an unnecessary call to the tower to report doing so. AIM 4-3-2 makes it clear that no report is required when leaving CDA.

Instructors are at fault here.

Bob Gardner

"Squawk VFR, have a good one, 13Bravo."

"13Bravo."

"Ok, talk to you in a bit, 13Bravo"(if I'm doing an instrument approach to a non towered field)

Whatever I feel like saying but I don't read back the frequency part.

As a new student I used to read back everything verbatim, after you do it a while you learn what isn't necessary. Especially if it's busy it helps the controller to get to the next guy if you keep it short.

I usually get offended and say something like "what, u don't wanna talk to me anymore? I thought we had a good thing going here?!? Fine, thanks for nothing! Later. Doosh."

I do usually get that when I'm leaving JQFs Delta but I don't think it's because I did anything wrong....I'll just say I'm ready for a northwest departure and when I clear their airspace they'll tell me freq change approved. I do reply with freq change approved but now that we're talking about it it's kinda silly so imma drop that.

My tower never says it and neither do I. I will ask for a freq change if headed East towards the nearby Class D, e.g. KTZR --> KLCK and acknowledge that with a C Ya.

"frequency change approved" is a response to your request to change frequencies. No need to respond to a response.

"frequency change approved" is a response to your request to change frequencies. No need to respond to a response.

Does not begin with the request from the pilot.

Many times initiated by the controller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Read back"? No.

"Acknowledge"? Yes. ATC needs to know that I heard their instruction. Sometimes they tell me to keep my squawk to the ground, especially at night. A quick "thanks for your help, 4DJ" is quick, polite and confirms in ATCs mind what I'm doing. Adding "keep the squawk" when necessary is also quick and painless.

I'll say something like...

"467SA over to Atlanta on 133.1", sometimes amending "Thanks for your help" or "Good day" or something, depending on how busy the frequency is.

I like to repeat the frequency - it gives them a chance to correct me if I copied it wrong.

I do the same, along with a thanks.

Back