do you pray before you fly?

The vast majority of Christian theologians, and virtually all Jewish ones, interpret the Genesis creation story metaphorically.

Perhaps, but what about the rank-and-file followers? You could argue, as several have done here in the past, that most Christians do not take everything in the Bible literally. And sure, many Christians don't. But many do. Right here in the good old SZ I'd bet that you can find many who do.

My guess is that at least a third of the Christians in the US believe that Adam and Eve were two real people, the first of our species, created magically by Yahweh, and that no humans existed before them. Note that I have nothing to back up that number other than a broad impression I get from growing up in the south.

I do not and never did but I'll bet Joel osteen does. He owns a Gulfstream and probably prays for bigger tythes so he can buy lots of fuel. What would Jesus fly?

Well, I never pray but if I were to start I would start by praying that fat people would not fly or at least not sit by me.

I wonder how the virgins feel about their role as reward for such behaviour and find it interesting nobody of faith gives it more than passing thought if that.

Christianity made simple:

At first, god was god. Then one day he made everything. I guess he made himself first, but I’m a little hazy on that point. Anyway, then he made a man from some dirt and water. God made the man look like himself, because he didn’t have any other specifications. Then he made a woman from one of the man’s ribs. The man didn’t mind because it was a spare rib. Then there was a snake, a talking donkey, and an apple tree, but that’s just too silly to even talk about. Then the man and woman, who god made with a little bit different shape from the man so the man would like her, had a bunch of kids, who had kids, who had kids, and so on until the world was full of people. God also made some animals and plants and other stuff, but I don’t know where he got the specs for those. Then god got angry for some reason and made a huge rainstorm that drowned everything, except for a few people and animals that were wandering around the local area that he put on a big raft built by some 600-year-old guy. Honest! That’s actually what Christians really believe! Then all the water went away somewhere and the world got repopulated with a fresh batch of people and animals from the big raft. I don’t know how the kangaroos, koalas, polar bears and penguins were handled, but that’s not important. The dinosaurs must have been a special problem, too.

Then god got lonely so he decided to impregnate some woman he spotted kicking hooves at a used-camel lot. But he missed and instead nailed a young girl named Mary who just happened to be walking by. That’s why it’s called the inaccurate conception. So Mary married a guy named Joe to cover her pregnancy and Jesus (at least that’s what we call him now) was born. Three wise guys came and brought some loot, but I don’t know why. Bribery, maybe. Jesus, who is also god himself (don’t ask me how that works), then does a bunch of magic tricks to impress people and also builds stuff out of lumber. And he makes a lot of speeches which were really pretty good, but non of them were written down until many years later. Jesus then arranges to get himself tortured, killed, and raised from the dead after three days (he was beginning to spoil) to sit somewhere with his father, who is also himself (I think). There's also a ghost with holes in it that gets involved somehow. The father and son (who somehow are one and the same, I think) invite this ghost to join them. That was about 2000 years ago, and none of these three wackos have been seen or heard from since. But Jesus is supposed to show up any day now and rapturize people, so we all have to behave ourselves.

That is pretty much what Constantine sold everyone on.

One thing, in every religion, God forbids usury.

Henning, thought ain't as special as you think. It's just neurons firing. Pfft, that's it.

Couple buddies of mine who used to fly the FRED told me that at the beginning of every takeoff roll they would put their manpleaser close to the CVR mic and say any dozen variations of "I can't believe they're making us do this/ I don't feel comfortable right now", and throttles up. Not sure if that counts as prayer but sure would come in handy when you're asking for Jesus at the FEB. :D:D:D

That is where the energy component comes from, now where does the information component come from? The intelligence behind the thought?

That I can't answer. But that doesn't mean we must attribute it to divine magic. There are an endless number of questions that we haven't learned answers to. That's why we keep studying and investigating. Well, at least some of us.

There's no indication that anyone "made gravity". But let's follow your line of thought to it's next logical question and see how you answer it: Who made God? (any god will do)

His mom and dad. duh.

No one. There doesn't need to be a physicist for gravity to work either.

There must be creation for Gravity to exist though. Gravity is the byproduct of creation, of quanta popping into existence from apparently nothing, and disappearing to nowhere, and jumping back and forth instantly from shell to shell, and to share that information instantly across infinite distances instantly in quantum entanglements.

The Chaos theory died with the Higg's.

...quanta popping into existence from apparently nothing, and disappearing to nowhere, and jumping back and forth instantly from shell to shell, and to share that information instantly across infinite distances instantly in quantum entanglements.

Kinda sounds like your persona on the PoA forums!! :D

There must be creation for Gravity to exist though. Gravity is the byproduct of creation, of quanta popping into existence from apparently nothing, and disappearing to nowhere, and jumping back and forth instantly from shell to shell, and to share that information instantly across infinite distances instantly in quantum entanglements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvan5cHhPq4

:yes:

I do not and never did but I'll bet Joel osteen does. He owns a Gulfstream and probably prays for bigger tythes so he can buy lots of fuel. What would Jesus fly?

Osteen does not own a Gulfstream. It doesn't appear that he, nor his church even own a plane. If you recall his wife got in trouble with the FAA over a disagreement with a flight attendant on a Continental flight. He also takes no salary and derives his income from book sales. Not one cent of those tithes would go to him.

This isn't the first time you've told this lie.

Maybe he is thinking of creflow dollar?
He prays publicly for a better jet

Osteen does not own a Gulfstream. It doesn't appear that he, nor his church even own a plane. He also takes no salary and derives his income from book sales. Not one cent of those tithes would go to him.

What a great deal for his book business. He gets the equivalent of 10s of millions in free advertising for his brand. Assuming that his ministry is getting non-profit tax breaks, I have a real problem with that.

Read this and mark my words.
I too will stop taking a salary at the point my net worth is $40 million.

Please remember I said it here. I promise.
attachment.php

Attachments

• jo.jpg
    jo.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 88
Perhaps, but what about the rank-and-file followers? You could argue, as several have done here in the past, that most Christians do not take everything in the Bible literally. And sure, many Christians don't. But many do. Right here in the good old SZ I'd bet that you can find many who do.

My guess is that at least a third of the Christians in the US believe that Adam and Eve were two real people, the first of our species, created magically by Yahweh, and that no humans existed before them. Note that I have nothing to back up that number other than a broad impression I get from growing up in the south.

And maybe Adam and Eve were two real people, the first of our species, created magically by Yahweh, and no humans existed before them.

Neither the Bible itself nor natural history seem to indicate that: What's called "internal evidence" in the scriptures (style, phrasing, grammatical factors, and so forth) suggest that the story was both allegorical and poetic, and there's more than enough doubt about some of the vocabulary and grammar to allow for multiple interpretations.

But if people want to take it literally, who cares? What difference does it make unless someone has a weird control issue that causes them to lose sleep over what someone else believes about cosmology? I've studied dozens of creation stories, and it really doesn't bother me a bit that they exist and that some people believe them to be literal, regardless of how bizarre they may seem to me.

Rich

But if people want to take it literally, who cares?

Well I care. If that story is true then it concerns me to know that I'm the product of a massive amount of incest between Adam and Eve's children and grand children etc.

;)

What a great deal for his book business. He gets the equivalent of 10s of millions in free advertising for his brand. Assuming that his ministry is getting non-profit tax breaks, I have a real problem with that.

I loathe religion. I have huge issues with churches' tax exemptions.

I'm just trying to keep Jimmy honest, he has a track record of talkin out of his ass.

But if people want to take it literally, who cares? What difference does it make unless someone has a weird control issue that causes them to lose sleep over what someone else believes about cosmology?

I would argue that such beliefs cause societal damage when perpetuated. They equate unfounded mythology with science and that is not a good thing. Now of course I don't care if some bozo thinks Adam and Eve were literal people as long as he doesn't try to convince someone else, including his children, of such nonsense. And in real life, we have had Presidents and legislators in influential positions using such idiotic beliefs when making public policy. And that is a REALLY bad thing.

Well I care. If that story is true then it concerns me to know that I'm the product of a massive amount of incest between Adam and Eve's children and grand children etc.

;)

Regardless how mankind began, incest was part of the picture. Some states it's still part of the picture.:lol:

Regardless how mankind began, incest was part of the picture. Some states it's still part of the picture.:lol:

Those would be the states where crime labs don't bother with DNA because it is all the same. There's not gonna be any dental records neither.

I would argue that such beliefs cause societal damage when perpetuated. They equate unfounded mythology with science and that is not a good thing. Now of course I don't care if some bozo thinks Adam and Eve were literal people as long as he doesn't try to convince someone else, including his children, of such nonsense. And in real life, we have had Presidents and legislators in influential positions using such idiotic beliefs when making public policy. And that is a REALLY bad thing.

I suspect most politicians couldn't care less about religion other than in terms of how it affects them politically. There are some exceptions, such as Mitt Romney in our own day; but I suspect that for most, it's more of a pragmatic thing. In many parts of America it would be difficult for anyone other than a professed believer in some sort of religion to be elected; and in some parts of America, only believers in a specific religion have a chance.

This is nothing new, of course. Even Constantine's conversion is questionable based upon historical evidence. At best, I suspect that he basically welcomed the Christian god into his personal pantheon for pragmatic reasons upon gaining certain concessions from them, particularly with regard to military service. Christians had been mainly pacifists up until then, and Constantine needed soldiers more than he needed another deity.

There's also the fact that the medallion Constantine minted a year after winning the Milvian Bridge battle and a year after his professed conversion to Christianity bore the images of Constantine and Sol Invictus, one of the Roman sun gods. That kind of casts doubt on the sincerity of his conversion.

There also are those who like to run the "religion has led to more wars than anything else" line in defense of Atheism; but in most cases (including the myriad Roman Catholic inquisitions and military campaigns), religion was more of a convenient justification for waging wars for the purposes of property, power, control, and wealth.

I mean, just look at the papacy of Alexander VI as one example. His son Cesare's conquests were about money and land, not doctrine. It's questionable whether Cesare was even a believer when he commanded the Vatican and other armies, despite having been created a cardinal when he was a teenager. But there was no question that Alexander needed to bring the papal states in line, particularly as concerned the payment of tithes.

Politicians will do what they do using any convenient justification; and no doubt many have used religion, often in detestable ways. But among ordinary people, I suspect that a lot more good has been done (and a lot more evil abstained from) because of religious faith than has harm come from it.

Rich

Religion has been nothing but a tool of greed and governance for thousands of years now.

It must still be important in America because we continue to put it on all our currency

Back