do you pray before you fly?

Why ask Why?
It's his choice. It doesn't hurt anyone.

Because it's hypocritical to your own beliefs, basically you are lying to people. If you're an atheist, why not be an atheist, why pretend to be something different?:dunno:

The first officer of EgyptAir 990 was praying to god, as he pushed the nose down into the Atlantic.

"""The cockpit voice recorder (CVR) recorded the captain excusing himself to go to the lavatory, followed thirty seconds later by the first officer saying in Egyptian Arabic "Tawkalt ala Allah," which translates to "I rely on God." A minute later, the autopilot was disengaged, immediately followed by the first officer again saying, "I rely on God." Three seconds later, the throttles for both engines were reduced to idle, and both elevators were moved three degrees nose down. The first officer repeated "I rely on God" seven more times before the captain suddenly asked repeatedly, "What's happening, what's happening?""""

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EgyptAir_Flight_990

Thank you god!

Because it's hypocritical to your own beliefs, basically you are lying to people. If you're an atheist, why not be an atheist, why pretend to be something different?:dunno:

so...maybe he's not really an atheist....but a-theist? ...just say'n. :D

Personal religious beliefs are absolutely nobody else's concern. In fact, people get so worked up, one way or the other, about other people's religious beliefs that I see no reason at all to explain or demonstrate them to anyone else. Why would I owe it to you to make you aware of my beliefs?

I don't disparage those who pray.

I just don't think it has any real world effect.

It doesn't really because it's unnecessary. Everything a prayer would do has already been done when you have the thought about the situation you're in and what you want to happen next. God doesn't hear your words, God is part of you and your thoughts become part of God, it's part of why you exist, to provide new information and Dark Energy through the process of thought.

Why ask Why?
It's his choice. It doesn't hurt anyone.

Whether or not it hurts anyone is irrelevant. When you want to expand your understanding of the world and those who inhabit it, it's always a good idea to ask "why?"

Personal religious beliefs are absolutely nobody else's concern. In fact, people get so worked up, one way or the other, about other people's religious beliefs that I see no reason at all to explain or demonstrate them to anyone else. Why would I owe it to you to make you aware of my beliefs?

I wasn't questioning his religious beliefs, I was questioning his actions in contradiction to his beliefs. It doesn't matter what he believes, that's completely irrelevant. If you are willing to be dishonest with others to make them feel better, you are much more likely to be dishonest with yourself to make yourself feel better. "I'm a safe pilot" now no longer has any meaning, because it can't be gauged if accurate or self delusion.

Yep, forcing thought is not possible, people have to choose it to be effective, otherwise it's counter productive.

Nonsense. Religious groups vote to enforce their beliefs on others everyday. It is an old trope, but a valuable example nonetheless - many municipalities have enacted laws to prevent alcohol sales on Sunday. I don't drink so it has little effect on me, but why should I be prevented by law from buying alcohol on someone else's holy day? It's not holy to me but I am forced by law to uphold their religious beliefs.

Nonsense. Religious groups vote to enforce their beliefs on others everyday. It is an old trope, but a valuable example nonetheless - many municipalities have enacted laws to prevent alcohol sales on Sunday. I don't drink so it has little effect on me, but why should I be prevented by law from buying alcohol on someone else's holy day? It's not holy to me but I am forced by law to uphold their religious beliefs.

I understand and agree, and basically you agreed with me. You can't force someone to think something, it's counter productive. Blue laws, (which have been dropped most places) caused more antipathy towards religion than sympathy. People have to decide for themselves what they believe, and they have to be allowed to live their lives accordingly, regardless the belief. There is of course the limitation on that of 'do no harm' through your beliefs. That is the meaning of Freedom of Religion, even if it means freedom to have no religion.

Depends on why you are praying. If it's something you would to anyway before any activity, knock yourself out. If you're doing it out of fear, you have some confidence issues going on.

Until those people decide to force their beliefs on others.
Sometimes I don't think it's forcing exactly, but making assumptions that others have the same beliefs as you. Once, after giving the passengers the safety briefing, they asked if I wanted to join in a group prayer. I was so startled by the request I think I mumbled something about needing to get back up front. I could have handled it better, in fact I could have anticipated it because I knew in advance that it was a religious group.

Most people are like a penis. They believe they are the biggest and best when in fact they are just..dick's.

Tony

LOL..

I don't take any chances. I pray to Allah, Bhudda, JC and any other religious honchos I can think of.
^^^^^^
Movie line

LOL..

I don't take any chances. I pray to Allah, Bhudda, JC and any other religious honchos I can think of.
^^^^^^
Movie line

Throw in Satan too, you know, just in case that is the real winning side.

;)

Heck yes!
I also do communion a brief alter call during preflight.

My passengers appear to do a lot of praying too.

Haha, well, heck, if you passed out those little grape juice and cracker servings, that would be pretty alright. :D

LOL..

^^^^^^
Movie line
see there .....ya just went and cancelled out all the benefits by doing that. :goofy:

see there .....ya just went and cancelled out all the benefits by doing that. :goofy:

Nope, he was just repeating himself, it's all the same to God, the rest of the crap is just about people selling God. All our religions are rooted in Blasphmey that way by taking God's name to profit themselves, that is the definition of "taking God's name in vain".

Nope. I don't think I'm that religious, I don't think I would get any help from above when I'm flying.

Then again - not sure why - the only time I cried when I got married was when, I asked for it, they read the Lords Blessing.

"May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May the Lord make his face to shine upon you,
and be gracious to you.
May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you,
and give you peace."

Nope, he was just repeating himself, it's all the same to God, the rest of the crap is just about people selling God. All our religions are rooted in Blasphmey that way by taking God's name to profit themselves, that is the definition of "taking God's name in vain".

ya but.....he said "other religious honchos". That right there is scary. :yikes::mad2:

I think more pray when something occurs while in the air, like the recent accident where the nut committed suicide, or the fumbling of the crew of air France not long ago.

ya but.....he said "other religious honchos". That right there is scary. :yikes::mad2:

Nah, the only thing that matters was why and what his thoughts were, to whom is irrelevant. God knows we're confused on the entire subject because every religion lies about God to profit themselves. The lie that creates the greatest doubt is omnipotence. God can only act in the realm of creation through the inspiration of sentient life. Since we have to have free will to create new information, we have to choose what to do with that inspiration. That's why the real answer to "Why does God let bad things happen to good people?" is not "Don't question God's will" but rather, "There's nothing he can do about it, God can't over ride human free will."

Last edited:
I think more pray when something occurs while in the air, like the recent accident where the nut committed suicide, or the fumbling of the crew of air France not long ago.

Nope no time to pray. When the engine came apart on me at 1000' I was not praying. I was to busy flying the airplane. Once on the ground I said some prayers.

Tony

Nope no time to pray. When the engine came apart on me at 1000' I was not praying. I was to busy flying the airplane. Once on the ground I said some prayers.

Tony

Yep....plenty of time to pray in the situations I described. From 30 000 feet, plenty of time. I'm speaking, of course, of the passengers not the pilot. When my Stearman quit I was fortunate to be over farm land. I did not pray but did curse the idiot mechanic who had recently worked in it.

Last edited:

You typically focus on the tasks at hand, "God helps those who help themselves." God isn't your co-pilot, just along as a pax.

You typically focus on the tasks at hand, "God helps those who help themselves." God isn't your co-pilot, just along as a pax.

so....how did you find God? You sound like some kind of minister....Sharpton? :D

so....how did you find God? You sound like some kind of minister....Sharpton? :D

I have been an ordained minister for nearly 15 years.:lol: When the we lost the ability to be marriage celebrants on our USCG licenses, I had the choice of becoming a Notary Public or a Minister. Notary takes money and time, Minister is free and took 10 minutes on the Universal Life Church website (same guys that had the admin Rolling Stone forever, was $10 when it was mail in).

As for knowledge of God, I learned to listen, do that and God will tell you everything.

Nope. Never pray before I go, but I've sure said a few after I got back once or twice ....

Back