Do you actually pronounce the second "a" in "caramel?"

Car-mel, or care-a-mel?

• Total voters
Of course she does, Probably intentional on her part. ;)

I say CAR-um-el. Of course, it does amuse me that people talk about Car-a-mel Church (town near here in Virginia, spelled the same way as the one in California). I got used to in living in Westminster, CO which the locals all pronounce West-Min-is-ter. Of course they also pronounce the town of Buena Vista as Byoona-Vista.

No locals I know say West-min-I-ster... just West-minster.

But most of the folks up there aren't usually locals. That town was the hotbed of transplants before transplanting here was cool -- and required more housing.

West-minster was probably the first suburb to California-ize, complete with higher taxes, a bunch of fancy new municipal buildings (back then) and a fancy new hospital. Many jokes about their "Taj Mahal" which migrated (the jokes, not the building) to Jefferson County's overpriced stuff a number of years later out near Golden.

Now all that stuff is old news. Their clock tower is pretty funny though. As if they needed that...

They never really quite got the whole metrosexual thing right and the Californians looked elsewhere around the metro for the most part for newer housing that reminded them more of home, and Westminster went back to looking and feeling like Ar-vaaa-duh (Arvada) hard aaaah, like in "at". ;)

Probably didn't help that they had a hopelessly run down mall by that point. The migrants to Colorado always congregate around the fancy new malls and outlet stores. LOL.

No locals I know say West-min-I-ster... just West-minster.
You're talking to the transplants. The locals do indeed stick an extra syllable in it. I lived in Colorado in 1981 and my roommate had grown up there to a long time Colorado family and he pronounced it that way (we even lived in Westminster). I heard it from others as well. I drew the line when listening to a local radio station and they were talking about Westminister Abbey in England.

You're talking to the transplants. The locals do indeed stick an extra syllable in it. I lived in Colorado in 1981 and my roommate had grown up there to a long time Colorado family and he pronounced it that way (we even lived in Westminster). I heard it from others as well. I drew the line when listening to a local radio station and they were talking about Westminister Abbey in England.

Considering we've either been here since the horse and buggy days, or the 70s, depending on which side of the family you're talking to, and nobody we know says it that way... I'm going to guess you found an odd group of "locals". :)

I never thought about it until now, but I call the candy care-a-mel, but as a kid I remember car-mul corn. (like Cracker Jacks)

car·a·mel
ˈkerəməl,ˈkerəˌmel,ˈkärməl/
noun
noun: caramel
  1. sugar or syrup heated until it turns brown, used as a flavoring or coloring for food or drink.
    "an apple dipped in caramel"
    • the light brown color of caramel.
      "the liquid turns a pale caramel"
    • a soft candy made with sugar and butter that have been melted and further heated.
      plural noun: caramels
Origin
upload_2016-11-23_13-33-38.png
early 18th century: from French, from Spanish caramelo .

car·a·mel
ˈkerəməl,ˈkerəˌmel,ˈkärməl/
noun
noun: caramel
  1. sugar or syrup heated until it turns brown, used as a flavoring or coloring for food or drink.
    "an apple dipped in caramel"
    • the light brown color of caramel.
      "the liquid turns a pale caramel"
    • a soft candy made with sugar and butter that have been melted and further heated.
      plural noun: caramels
Origin
View attachment 49406
early 18th century: from French, from Spanish caramelo .
Aaaand now we know what the Chief Counsel says. :)

Iraq:
Eye-rack or Ear-rrrak ?

OH....no. :eek:

8e9c3493f049e51118af7be006624c2a.jpg

Pronounced ca-ra-mel, in the same way as jew-el-ry. Some (black) people pronounce it as "jury" LOL

Feb - u - ary or Feb -ru- ary?

Back