Do I Need an Endorsment to become a Ground Instructor?

Penguinforce

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Penguinforce
I have taken the IGI exam and I’m about to take the FOI written exam as well. I have an appointment setup with a FSDO officer before the end of the year and I just wanted to verify endorsements. I know to take the actual written exams I do not need an endorsement, but do I need to take an endorsement with me to the FSDO officer meeting?

Note: This is only for ground instructor, NOT CFI

Nope. To get the rating, just complete the FOI and whatever ground instructor written exams correspond to the rating(s) you seek, fill out your end of the IACRA application, then have the FSDO guy complete it on his end after verifying your credentials. No endorsements necessary.

As I understand it, if you want to actually exercise the privileges of Ground Instructor, you need an endorsement from a CFI (see 14 CFR 61.217) since you start off without recency of experience.

I believe that you can also start teaching (or restart if you haven’t taught for a while) by completing a CFI refresher course. Sporty’s FIRC is free but boring. AOPAs is much more interesting but costs $124.
§ 61.217 Recent experience requirements.
Completion of an approved flight instructor refresher course and receipt of a graduation certificate for that course; or

Nope. To get the rating, just complete the FOI and whatever ground instructor written exams correspond to the rating(s) you seek, fill out your end of the IACRA application, then have the FSDO guy complete it on his end after verifying your credentials. No endorsements necessary.

As I understand it, if you want to actually exercise the privileges of Ground Instructor, you need an endorsement from a CFI (see 14 CFR 61.217) since you start off without recency of experience.
Awesome thanks I just wanted to verify. I was reading up on it and got a little concerned for a second so I wanted to verify if what I originally thought was true haha

I believe that you can also start teaching (or restart if you haven’t taught for a while) by completing a CFI refresher course. Sporty’s FIRC is free but boring. AOPAs is much more interesting but costs $124.
Completion of an approved flight instructor refresher course and receipt of a graduation certificate for that course; or
I didn’t know about this. Thank you for this info! :)

Another area of confusion - Once you do get the Ground Instructor certificate, to actually use it, you need the endorsement specified in 61.217(d) to use it unless you qualify by one of the other activities listed. It did not make sense to me - I thought passing the knowledge test demonstrated you had knowledge of the areas the test covers. I think there was letter of interpretation confirming this requirement.

1703028709546.png

I have taken the IGI exam and I’m about to take the FOI written exam as well. I have an appointment setup with a FSDO officer before the end of the year and I just wanted to verify endorsements. I know to take the actual written exams I do not need an endorsement, but do I need to take an endorsement with me to the FSDO officer meeting?

Note: This is only for ground instructor, NOT CFI
Nope you do not need any endorsement but you might be need to take appointment or you might need to give a call back ahead to FSDO near you

I would suggest also doing the AGI exam and saving a trip to the FSDO.

Thanks for the reference on doing a FIRC. I hold AGI and IGI ratings, but haven't taught officially in many years.

Sporty's also gives ground instructors access to their free CFI portal, which provides access to the free FIRC mentioned earlier. They also provide free access to their private, instrument, and commercial pilot courses.

Another area of confusion - Once you do get the Ground Instructor certificate, to actually use it, you need the endorsement specified in 61.217(d) to use it unless you qualify by one of the other activities listed. It did not make sense to me - I thought passing the knowledge test demonstrated you had knowledge of the areas the test covers. I think there was letter of interpretation confirming this requirement.

View attachment 123429
I teach drone classes, which means FAA Part 107 so is this accountable to skip 12 calendar months?

You are training pilots so that counts.
(a) Employment or activity as a ground instructor giving pilot, flight instructor, or ground instructor training;

§ 107.7 Inspection, testing, and demonstration of compliance.

(a) A remote pilot in command, owner, or person manipulating the flight controls of a small unmanned aircraft system must—

Sporty's also gives ground instructors access to their free CFI portal, which provides access to the free FIRC mentioned earlier. They also provide free access to their private, instrument, and commercial pilot courses.

I'm taking advantage of this currently, and using the IGI/AGI credentials to access the Sporty's instrument ground school videos. Feels like I cheated the system, despite having blown $525 on PSI exams in order to avoid spending $299 on the Sporty's course (which is less informative than all the free content readily available on YouTube.) :biggrin:

I'm taking advantage of this currently, and using the IGI/AGI credentials to access the Sporty's instrument ground school videos. Feels like I cheated the system, despite having blown $525 on PSI exams in order to avoid spending $299 on the Sporty's course (which is less informative than all the free content readily available on YouTube.) :biggrin:
You also have access to the commercial course if you ever go that route. Since I doubt you took the FOI, AGI, and IGI with the intent of just getting free access to the CFI portal, it really is all upside.

Yes, it's the 2009 Metzinger letter.

Yes, it seems weird.

Thanks for all this information!

Update, I did not need an endorsement like you said. Luckily I didn't even have to go into the FSDO office for the appointment wmand was able to complete the appointment through zoom. Just waiting on the certificate to arrive in the mail now!

Back