Do airline crews tell you their names anymore?

RussR

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Russ
I travel the airlines a little more than average, and have noticed recently that it seems they are no longer announcing their names, at the least the pilot/copilot, and sometimes not even the cabin crew.

When did this start? Is it universal, or airline dependent? Have I just been on the wrong flights? I was on two flights today and specifically noticed that on neither flight did any of the crew mention their names.

Didn't the captain used to get on the PA and announce who he was, who the FO was, and "Sandi, Bobbie, and Joe are the cabin crew today, please sit back and enjoy the ride... (Etc)"? Has this gone away? If so, when?

I haven’t noticed any change ,they usually give the names during the safety briefing that no one pays attention to.

I did for the most part until I retired a couple of years ago. I actually did one better, most of the time, and did my passenger briefing in the cabin so everyone could see me. Face to voice, if you will.

I often tried to do the in person "welcome aboard" speech for years. Very few people payed attention or noticed. After while I quit. I always tried to acknowledge people in the boarding area whenever I could. Especially kids and people who seemed nervous. I stopped using my name after someone got my name, license and home address, land line etc. Since I was gone a lot, it became a problem with late night calls to my wife when she was at home alone. So no names after that.

I stopped using my name after someone got my name, license and home address, land line etc. Since I was gone a lot, it became a problem with late night calls to my wife when she was at home alone. So no names after that.

That’s why it’s best to use someone else’s name. Still gives that personal, friendly touch but without the risk. Next time, introduce yourself as “Trevor Jacob.”

New United Name tags also allow for pronown selections if desired…so I don’t think it’s the case…

I keep PAs to a minimum. No one cares and as a pax i hate chatty captains. Only time i say anything really is if we arent on time or something out of the ordinary.

No announcements by the crew on the United Express flight I just got off. Safety announcement was a recording as well.

I keep PAs to a minimum. No one cares and as a pax i hate chatty captains. Only time i say anything really is if we arent on time or something out of the ordinary.
Yep, exactly that. Minimum PAs unless delayed or funkiness happens. And doing a PA in the cabin? Aww hell no! I don't do a standup routine and methinks the passengers wouldn't care one way or the other. Plus, it just gets in the way of boarding and the flight attendants.

Last night? Did you like it?

On the flight to Jamaica for the honeymoon, @kayoh190 found out who the captain was, and when he made the welcome to the flight announcement the captain said "We have a newly married couple on board and Dustin told me something interesting, and I verified it, all of Ed's friends said he married way above himself..."

On the flight to Jamaica for the honeymoon, @kayoh190 found out who the captain was, and when he made the welcome to the flight announcement the captain said "We have a newly married couple on board and Dustin told me something interesting, and I verified it, all of Ed's friends said he married way above himself..."

He wasn’t lying……….:)

Some captains will say our names in the PA. IIRC NWA had FAs mention pilot names in their PAs

IIRC NWA had FAs mention pilot names in their PAs

We have a canned briefing strip that the FAs have access to, and it lists our names. You can usually tell the junior ones, because they just read from the strip and therefore let everyone know who we are. :)

I don’t care what their names are, same as with waiters and waitresses. We’re not making some personal connection.

Yep, exactly that. Minimum PAs unless delayed or funkiness happens. And doing a PA in the cabin? Aww hell no! I don't do a standup routine and methinks the passengers wouldn't care one way or the other. Plus, it just gets in the way of boarding and the flight attendants.

Our mainline partner, who has a big hub in the city on your profile, wants us to do pre-departure, top of climb, midway during flight, top of descent, and after arrival at the gate. :eek:

We used to have a flight attendant that introduced us Captain Incredible and First Officer Awesome.

I spoke with a flight attendant who asked for us up front not to use her name. She was rather attractive and she said people have tracked her down on line before.

I spoke with a flight attendant who asked for us up front not to use her name. She was rather attractive and she said people have tracked her down on line before.

“Folks, our flight attendant has asked that I not give her name, and I will respect that. For those interested, however, her phone number is .....”

She doesn't want to be known, but has social media profiles. o_O :rolleyes:

I have been so tempted to say “Welcome aboard, on behalf of First officer Roger Murdock, this is your Captain, Clarence Overman hoping you have a great trip.”

How many aboard would get the reference?

I have been so tempted to say “Welcome aboard, on behalf of First officer Roger Murdock, this is your Captain, Clarence Overman hoping you have a great trip.”

How many aboard would get the reference?

how many people would be listening?

I have three neighbors who fly for United (and three for AA). I always fear that they would announce the captain's name as one of them and I'd be screaming "Let me off this thing." Someone pointd out he'd have a first officer. The only problem is the FO (and we have pictures of them crewing together) would be one of my other neighbors.

Of course the problematic guy (who is a good friend) just lost his medical (cardiac event) so it isn't a problem. He's my age so I'm not sure he'll be back on the line before retirement.

If the landing is good, he’s Captain Bill. If the landing is bad, he says he’s Captain @eman1200

no doubt. of course now I have to go back and read this entire thread.

also, is it almost time for a GMU meetup?

On a recent flight to Europe, our FO announced that we were under the command of Captan Kirk something.

:D

Back