Disabled and flying.

But you said she 'wouldn't necessarily her disqualified' for Parkinson's, multiple sclerosis, and terminal cancer? Right?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Sounds right to me. The old man was able to get a special issue for a while even with the cancer.

Sent from my laptop using my fingers on the keyboard.

I'm a triple amputee, been flying this way for about 5 years. Flew with the FAA from the FSDO and all that. Flew about 10 years will all my limbs before that. I know others with conditions.

Reaction from one poster here seems a lot like one who yells at a person parking in a handicap spot that walks with no visible disability. Fact is the disabled person may just be having a good day, between the bad ones.

Not a doctor? No first hand experience with a person's condition? Its impossible to know what they are or aren't capable of.

Sounds right to me. The old man was able to get a special issue for a while even with the cancer.

Sent from my laptop using my fingers on the keyboard.

There was a guy near here recently that finally got an SI, took 10 years post op from brain tumor.

This thread confuses me... I have much respect for those who can fly with missing limbs, I have a hard time and I have all my falculties in order.

I'm a triple amputee, been flying this way for about 5 years. Flew with the FAA from the FSDO and all that. Flew about 10 years will all my limbs before that. I know others with conditions.

Reaction from one poster here seems a lot like one who yells at a person parking in a handicap spot that walks with no visible disability. Fact is the disabled person may just be having a good day, between the bad ones.

Not a doctor? No first hand experience with a person's condition? Its impossible to know what they are or aren't capable of.
I have the utmost respect for you and what you've accomplished, as well as other folks with physical disabilities. And no, I don't tell at folks that park in handicap spots and then walk inside. Not all disabilities can be seen from the outside.

Yep, you need your legs and feet to fly. At least Jessica Cox does.

She is a living example of: It's not about what hand you were dealt when you were born it's about how well you play it"

I have been trying to find a set of Union hand controls for the Cessna. Operation PROP has theoretically gotten the rights to manufacture the Union hand controls but, I have been unable to get in contact with them. The "Contact Us" on the web site does not work. Any suggestions? I have an above knee amputation and am unable to use toe brakes, therefore, I need the hand control.

My neighbor was a high seniority US Air pilot when he got rearended by a semi and has been in a wheelchair ever since. He has a set of hand controls that fit a 172 he moves around for instruction purposes but he's been working on a Glassair or something similar for his normal flying.

First post here so why not find out if I am still able to fly.

I have been flying off and on for 18 years now with 4 solos in 3 different states and 2 solo cross country flights.
In 2008 I was in a severe motorcycle accident and broke quite a few bones including my back. This caused nerve damage in my feet and left leg. I got back into flying in 2014 and wonder if there are hand control kits for aircraft that can be switched around. I have looked online and haven't really found anything.

Is this a real thing or am I destined to fly with a instructor for ever?

I had several paraplegic students when I was instructing actively in Cherokees. My star pupil got his private and commercial certificates and instrument ratings using hand controls....he would have gotten his multiengine rating but the realities of making 90-degree turns on crowded ramps or rows of hangars made it impractical. Google wheelchair pilots.

Bob

Bob, correct me if I am wrong, and I think it is great that someone with a disability can fly, I know I would.
Many eons ago when I took my private pilots ground school at a junior college there was a guy that was on arm crutches. The teacher said, you know you will never get your private ticket due to your handicap. He replied, yes, but I want to take ground school anyway for my own knowledge and I want to fly paraglider or something to that effect.

I completely agree! I have great friends that are transgender, and amputees that still fly, but they aren't stupid

Curious how transgender fits into a discussion about disabled pilots.

Curious how transgender fits into a discussion about disabled pilots.

Holy necropost!! You have to take it in context considering ruthie...I have a few friends in the LGBT(insert letter here). And none of them do it for attention, they are normal people. So go ahead and take it out of context all you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look up Douglas bader. He flew a spitfire, in combat, later , after the war, flew a multi for gulf oil. Both legs had been amputated due to an accident . Good book called " reach for the sky." ( about him)

Look up Douglas bader. He flew a spitfire, in combat, later , after the war, flew a multi for gulf oil. Both legs had been amputated due to an accident . Good book called " reach for the sky." ( about him)

He could pull more "Gs" because he didn't have legs.

Holy necropost!! You have to take it in context considering ruthie...I have a few friends in the LGBT(insert letter here). And none of them do it for attention, they are normal people. So go ahead and take it out of context all you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get your panties unwadded. You act as if we all know who this ruthie is. And good for you mentioning you have freinds in the alphabet group.

Bob, correct me if I am wrong, and I think it is great that someone with a disability can fly, I know I would.
Many eons ago when I took my private pilots ground school at a junior college there was a guy that was on arm crutches. The teacher said, you know you will never get your private ticket due to your handicap. He replied, yes, but I want to take ground school anyway for my own knowledge and I want to fly paraglider or something to that effect.

The instructor was wrong. There are many physical limitations that can be addressed with a Special Issuance. The applicant must demonstrate to an FAA ops inspector that s/he can perform the actions required to fly safely and that's that.

Bob

I appreciate all the come backs, but I haven't seen much that helps my posting. There are a myriad of disabled pilots out there. I still need the hand controls before I can actually get to solo or do any type of aircraft ground control. I do have some flight time but , again, I NEED the hand controls. Maybe what I need to do is buy a Ercoupe except I can't afford to purchase an airplane.

The instructor was wrong. There are many physical limitations that can be addressed with a Special Issuance. The applicant must demonstrate to an FAA ops inspector that s/he can perform the actions required to fly safely and that's that.

Bob

It may not even take a SPECIAL issuance, just a more involved regular issuance. In fact, when I was running a flying club ages ago, we had a guy with a similar situation. While he couldn't WALK without crutches, he could move his legs. All he had to do was show the FAA he could work the rudders just fine in flight to get a regular medical.

Put this search term into google
"aircraft hand controls for sale"

Various types of hand controls both used and new for various aircraft.

Back