Disabled and flying.

Ruthie kaur

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
FlyGirl34
First post here so why not find out if I am still able to fly.

I have been flying off and on for 18 years now with 4 solos in 3 different states and 2 solo cross country flights.
In 2008 I was in a severe motorcycle accident and broke quite a few bones including my back. This caused nerve damage in my feet and left leg. I got back into flying in 2014 and wonder if there are hand control kits for aircraft that can be switched around. I have looked online and haven't really found anything.

Is this a real thing or am I destined to fly with a instructor for ever?

Last edited:
First post here so why not make it a good one.

I have been flying off and on for 18 years now. In 2008 I was in a severe motorcycle accident and broke quite a few bones including my back. This caused nerve damage in my feet and left leg. I got back into flying in 2014 and wonder if there are hand control kits for aircraft that can be switched around. I have looked online and haven't really found anything.

Is this a real thing or am I destined to fly with a instructor for ever?

This guy might be able to hook you up with a set of Union hand controls. I don't personally have any experience with such devices but have seen them come up for sale from time to time. Someone on here probably has better info them me.

http://www.operationprop.org/

Some are temporary removable controls and others are permanent mods that aren't quickly and easily removed.

Last edited:
A guy owned a Cherokee with hand controls at an airport I instructed at. Should be available. Son-in-law's son has 'em on his Honda CRV.

I've see One plane that is equipped for a paraplegic pilot. As I recall it was a Mooney.

The device that was a handle mounted in center where moving it right or left would give the appropriate rudder command. I think all braking was via hand brake (no big deal there)

I saw it in the shop when my plane was being worked on.

Send me a PM and I'll give you some information to track down the pilot using it.

I've see One plane that is equipped for a paraplegic pilot. As I recall it was a Mooney.

The device that was a handle mounted in center where moving it right or left would give the appropriate rudder command. I think all braking was via hand brake (no big deal there)

I saw it in the shop when my plane was being worked on.

Send me a PM and I'll give you some information to track down the pilot using it.

I've seen a Cessna 177 set up similarly, but were permanent mods not intended to be removed.

I've seen a Cessna 177 set up similarly, but were permanent mods not intended to be removed.

Yes, I think this is also permanent, but the rudder pedals and toe brakes were not removed so it could be flown using either rudder controls.

I hope there isn't a removable version for renters... that just seems scary to me. I'd want one that is installed and flown with a CFI in the other seat for a while before I'd rely on it.

Yes, I think this is also permanent, but the rudder pedals and toe brakes were not removed so it could be flown using either rudder controls.

I hope there isn't a removable version for renters... that just seems scary to me. I'd want one that is installed and flown with a CFI in the other seat for a while before I'd rely on it.

There are removable ones and its pretty simple set-up and wouldn't bother me if I was leasing.

A crafty guy could make something similar pretty easy.

There is a group called Able Flight http://ableflight.org/ . They train in Sky Arrows and they are fitted for hand controls. There is a pilot at my home field that has one his name is Sean O'Donnell. You might look him up through FB or Able Flight. I'm sure he could give you a good amount of info.

I met a guy that was flying a KA-200 at the time. One leg was missing from the hip.

One of my favorite pieces of advice, I don't know who to give the credit to: If you don't try, you have already failed.

You will fly again.

I am not giving up on this. I have no problem flying with a instructor just gave to find a new one again
In the meantime I am working on my instrument ground instructor and aircraft dispatcher certificates.

I thought you soloed a Piper cub over the summer? I mean one could just go get an Ercoupe. Does this mean you can get a medical now? Since you're hinting at being able to solo....

I thought you soloed a Piper cub over the summer? I mean one could just go get an Ercoupe. Does this mean you can get a medical now? Since you're hinting at being able to solo....
Cub was light sportamd that was back in march I think.
I had a medical but when I began to have issues with motor control in my feet and legs I opted out of renewing it. I know I am not safe for solo flight anymore but still want to fly.

Cub was light sportamd that was back in march I think.
I had a medical but when I began to have issues with motor control in my feet and legs I opted out of renewing it. I know I am not safe for solo flight anymore but still want to fly.
You think? I forgot what day I soloed too and I didn't take pictures either, especially when I post pictures of every other airplane I easily within a mile of. Isn't MS, Parkinson's, I think I remember cancer and something else, disqualifing even for light sport?

You clearly haven't thought this through,. You realize the cost vs buying an airplane that came factory with no rudder pedals?

Must be a real pain walking around with no motor function in your feet.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

You think? I forgot what day I soloed too and I didn't take pictures either, especially when I post pictures of every other airplane I easily within a mile of. Isn't MS, Parkinson's, I think I remember cancer and something else, disqualifing even for light sport?
Not automatically. Yes they're disqualifying for 3rd class (though a SI might be a possibility, depending), but one need not necessarily qualify for a 3rd class in order to qualify for light sport, that's the whole idea. If your physician honestly considers your ability to fly safely to be intact despite your condition, you're legal to exercise light sport privileges.

Not automatically. Yes it's disqualifying for 3rd class, but one need not necessarily qualify for a 3rd class in order to qualify for light sport, that's the whole idea. If your physician honestly considers your ability to fly safely to be intact despite your condition, you're legal to exercise light sport privileges.
Flying with poor motor skills in your feet and legs? Give me a break, no Dr in their right mind will sign off on that, I checked a few data bases and couldn't find where a Ruthie gaging, or Ruthie wells ever had a medical, or ground instructor certificate. She's just looking for attention and someone to help her justify herself.

I didn't say Ruthie would be able to fly light sport, did I? (Though I hope for her sake that she still has enough motor control to do so.)

What I said is that those conditions aren't NECESSARILY disqualifying. Whether a doctor will agree about someone's specific condition is a whole other question.

As for whether she's ever had a medical, two things: 1. How do you know that's her real name? and 2. what difference does it make? Or are you thinking of the new rules under PBOR2 where one has to have held a valid medical in the last 10 years?

Flying with poor motor skills in your feet and legs? Give me a break, no Dr in their right mind will sign off on that
That's why she's looking for hand controls...

Flying with poor motor skills in your feet and legs? Give me a break, no Dr in their right mind will sign off on that
Lots of people fly without legs (or leg function) at all, let alone poor motor skills there.
And some of them are very accomplished, could probably fly circles around most people on this board.

To the OP... Here is someone that may answer some questions.

I can't tell from the video what he using.

Good Luck

I didn't say Ruthie would be able to fly light sport, did I? (Though I hope for her sake that she still has enough motor control to do so.)

What I said is that those conditions aren't NECESSARILY disqualifying. Whether a doctor will agree about someone's specific condition is a whole other question.

As for whether she's ever had a medical, two things: 1. How do you know that's her real name? and 2. what difference does it make? Or are you thinking of the new rules under PBOR2 where one has to have held a valid medical in the last 10 years?
Please enlighten me, who would you ride in an airplane with, with NO controls on your side, and the 'pilot' having an admitted lack of motor skills in their legs and feet? Lol!!

Lots of people fly without legs (or leg function) at all, let alone poor motor skills there.
And some of them are very accomplished, could probably fly circles around most people on this board.
Agreed, and what airplanes are they flying? I bet they aren't renting and modifying them before every flight!

Mind you all, the OP, has claimed on FB before that she ? Has: Parkinson's, multiple sclerosis, terminal cancer, just to start!

Mind you all, the OP, has claimed on FB before that she ? Has: Parkinson's, multiple sclerosis, terminal cancer, just to start!

Even if she is a troll, that shouldn't deter other real disabled people from flying.

Please enlighten me, who would you ride in an airplane with, with NO controls on your side, and the 'pilot' having an admitted lack of motor skills in their legs and feet? Lol!!

Not sure why you're pressing this point with me since I never said I would ride in an airplane with someone who could not safely operate the controls, or even that the OP would be able to. I simply can't say one way or the other, I don't know how bad her condition is. That's for her and her doctors to judge.

My only reason for posting in this thread was to correct a misstatement you made about certain conditions being disqualifying for light sport. That being done, I'll bow out of this conversation and let you have the last word.

Even if she is a troll, that shouldn't deter other real disabled people from flying.
I completely agree! I have great friends that are transgender, and amputees that still fly, but they aren't stupid

Not sure why you're pressing this point with me since I never said I would ride in an airplane with someone who could not safely operate the controls, or even that the OP would be able to. I simply can't say one way or the other, I don't know how bad her condition is. That's for her and her doctors to judge.

My only reason for posting in this thread was to correct a misstatement you made about certain conditions being disqualifying for light sport. That being done, I'll bow out of this conversation and let you have the last word.
But you said she 'wouldn't necessarily her disqualified' for Parkinson's, multiple sclerosis, and terminal cancer? Right?

Name 2 airplanes you can land coordinated in a cross wind,
The hand controls operate the rudder pedals, so the pilot is able to make the proper inputs for landing in a crosswind.

The hand controls operate the rudder pedals, so the pilot is able to make the proper inputs for landing in a crosswind.
And it's still way cheaper to buy an airplane that came from the factory without rudder pedals

And it's still way cheaper to buy an airplane that came from the factory without rudder pedals
I'm not sure why you are worried about the expense she would incur since you are obviously hostile to the whole idea. Can you give it a rest?

I'm not sure why you are worried about the expense she would incur since you are obviously hostile to the whole idea. Can you give it a rest?
No, you clearly have not seen some of the BS that has been spouted by this person. And yes some if it was very personal to me. And the rest is nothing more than 'look at me and give me attention!' so attention I will give

No, you clearly have not seen some of the BS that has been spouted by this person. And yes some if it was very personal to me. And the rest is nothing more than 'look at me and give me attention!' so attention I will give
Don't bring your issues with this poster here. If you give too much attention you'll get a warning from us. In fact this is your warning.

Oh no! Not a warning!!!!
Yes. Do not bring issues you have had with a poster in some other place to this board. If you suspect someone of trolling, do not start arguing with them. Hit the bad post report.

However, the MC is already aware of this issue and will deal with it if it comes up again.

Back