Did your parents/family support your journey to get a sport pilot or private pilot license?

Discussion in 'Pilot Training' started by N918KT, Jun 17, 2017 at 7:50 AM.

1. MassPilot

MassPilot Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    MassPilot
    I tried to get my parents to pay for lessons when I was in high school but they were not willing to spend the money. As soon as I graduated college and got an engineering job I started taking lessons. My mom was nervous about it, but both my parents acted very proud when I hit a milestone (first solo, passed checkride). I was single at the time, and I don't think my wife would have approved of me spending so much of my income learning to fly if she was in the picture. We didn't start dating until shortly after I got my license and she loves to fly with me. My parents flew with me for the first time last fall.

2. GeorgeC

GeorgeC Pattern Altitude PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    GeorgeC
    Indirectly; had my parents not put me through undergrad, I might not have had the means to pursue aviation as an adult. My kids, however, will have direct and emphatic support should they express interest in flying.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017 at 9:40 AM
  3. yak-aviation

yak-aviation Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    yak-aviation
    I was in my early 30's back in 2001. Armed with limited funds (sufficient for license and perhaps a small a/c) I decided to enrol on a 3wk course and off to Florida I went. The folks at Orlando Flight Training at Kissimmee were great, there was a good mix of students from the sub-20's to the mid-50's. Parents and family showed some interest but just mainly thought I was doing something life threatening. Upon arrival at OFT, a chap was being berated for a wheels up landing in a twin. I went solo on September 11, 2001, and landed as everyone was grounded. Needless to say, I didn't get my license in the US and with work/life circumstances, it took another year back in the UK. In the interim, I bought a Yak 18T from Lithuania and all throughout, to keep on topic, parents and family were only really interested to hear progress but seldom keen to come flying as a passenger.

4. wayne

wayne Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    wayne
    I started when I was 40 or 41, so my parents didn't pay for it; maybe indirectly by paying for my undergrad degree. :)

My wife has been great with me learning and flying, and therefore spending lots of money we could spend elsewhere. As the kids have all done a study abroad in college and been to about a dozen countries or so, I don't think we've missed out on too much. ;)

My mother hasn't flown with me, she's not wild about small planes, including turboprops. Back when the airlines flew more of them she and my dad would pick specific flights to go on jets over turboprops. She used to worry about it at first, especially when I flew the kids with me. Now it's just normal for us. I'm sure she's still concerned at some level, but no where near as much and the kids like it, so she's not going to say much. My father has flown with me one weekend. He'd go again with me, but he knows Mom won't go, so it's just be a guy's trip. We flew from Atlanta to Fayetteville, AR to see an Auburn-Arkansas game. He graduated from Arkansas and I graduated from Auburn. We looked for our old house there, but couldn't find it. Things had changed, and it had been since he graduated that we were there last.

5. yak-aviation

yak-aviation Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    yak-aviation
    Oh yes, the wife, I met mine in the process of buying the Yak, so in terms of support from her, it has all been positive but post learning. She's not keen for us to fly with the kids, yet, she is happy with just the two of us??? Logic ? :)

6. N3368K

N3368K Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    JimR
    My folks were both commercial rated pilots. Dad owned/operated an Aerial Application business and we lived on field. Mom was a CFI. Dad taught both my brother and me to fly in a J-3 he restored when we were young kids. There was never any question my brother and I would become pilots. Neither sister ever learned, despite their being dragged around the country in dads Stinson SM-6000 Trimotor or SM-8A.

Zeldman and yak-aviation like this.
  7. Zeldman

Zeldman En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Billy
    My dad graduated from high school in 1942, then went to the Merchant Marine Academy. After graduating from the Academy in '43, he joined the Navy. After he signed the paper and raised his right hand, the recruiter mentioned that the Navy might not take him as an officer. My dad had planned on becoming a Naval Aviator.

The Navy did not take him as an officer, so he spent the rest of the war getting ready for the invasion of Japan, which fortunately did not happen.

After the war, my dad stayed in the Navy reserve, then took advantage of the G.I. Bill and got a college degree. That and along with an act of congress he became a gentleman in the Army. The Army only offered him a reserve slot, so he switched to the Air Force. The AF gave him a reserve slot with a promise for active duty. By the time he was offered a active duty slot, he knew he would not be able to pass the flight physical due to his eyes.

Instead, my dad took a job with the Agriculture and Mechanical College of Texas (sometimes called Texas A&M now) as a associate professor, later a professor, text book writer and research scientist working to mechanize small farms to make them more profitable and produce more yield per acre for less cost. A job he stayed with for 39 years. While working full time he finished his masters degree, then PHD.

In the mean time he stayed with the AF reserve, making LTC. He retired in I believe 1978.

My dad never did achieve his dream to fly. As with so many others his age, the war, college and real life took priority over anything else. But he really supported me as I went through flight school. He wanted me to become an airline pilot. That was the only time he pushed me towards any type of career. (besides farming)

Sadly, he passed away 10 weeks after I got my first flying job.

8. Timbeck2

Timbeck2 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Timbeck2
    "Hey mom and dad, I got my pilot's license."

Dad - "You did? Well alright...did I tell you about the deer I saw in the woods..."
    Mom - "That's nice dear, I'm proud of you."

That's pretty much how it went.

exncsurfer likes this.
  9. Kritchlow

Kritchlow En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kritchlow
    My parents paid for my schooling and ratings.
    I was fortunate, but part of the reason they paid was because it was "schooling for an aviation career". Ie an aviation degree.

10. bluerooster

bluerooster Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    shorty
    Well, let me think about it for a minnit. Not only was flying supported, it was bred in. The guy in my avatar is my Granddad with his brand new 1932 Eaglerock longwing. I was born in the back seat of a Stinson V-77 with my Dad flying it. As I was growing up, I didn't realise that not everyone had an airplane project in their basement, untill I was about 10 or 12, because untill that time, everyone that we knew did.
    Dad courted Mom in a PT-19 because he didn't have a car. Dad built C130s, an uncle flew for the airlines, another uncle worked for NASA on some project to put a man on the moon.
    So in short I would suppose that not only was it supported, but expected.

N3368K likes this.
  11. Timbeck2

Timbeck2 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Timbeck2

You win.

12. PeterNSteinmetz

PeterNSteinmetz Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    PeterNSteinmetz
    Wow, what odd timing.

13. Skip Miller

Skip Miller En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Skip Miller
    Nope, did it on my own. I did get to give him a ride before he passed, though. -Skip

14. SkyDog58

SkyDog58 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    SkyDog58
    Paid for all of my flying myself.
    No other aviator in my family tree to my knowledge.
    No one in my family seems to be the least bit interested in flying.
    None of my "accomplishments" seem to impress them at all.
    For some reason, I find all of the above satisfying.

Dp21 and Timbeck2 like this.
  15. James331

James331 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    James331
    Of course!

I was raised around planes, and I also got into some other things like computers, wrenching on cars, guns, etc that my family isn't super into, but they support it and are always down to learn or come out to the range, or help hold a wrench because they love me, trust me, and I was raised properly, and that's what friends and family do.

MIFlyer likes this.
  16. Lindberg

Lindberg Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Lindberg
    Got my cert in high school. My mom was not enthusiastic, but was at least supportive enough to pay for lessons as an incentive. I think the fact that my late dad would have been excited about it helped her along.

Got back into it as an adult. My wife would be much happier if I didn't fly, and she hasn't gone up with me. Both kids have, one loves it, one doesn't.

17. CARLOS W

CARLOS W Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Wild2fly
    Well I am 37 years old and started this past February. I at the near end with my ppl. I have about 42 hours.. all I have left is my solo xcountry and prob few mock checkrides. My brother is very supportive and his in laws are as well. His father in law was a col In the Airforce and mother in law is also a CFI which they both have thier own flight school in Florida. But my wife in the other hand is not. At first she was bad. You can read an old thread of mine on that. But now she is just going along with it. But still hates the idea. Oh well

18. kayoh190

kayoh190 Pattern Altitude PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kayoh@190
    My Mom grew up around GA and was really supportive (typical Mom though - she's the type to support anything I did!). My Dad's a tech guy and brought me up in that world, so he was disappointed to see me pursue aviation as a career. He can't imagine why someone would do it for work, much less for fun. That said, he knew I loved it, and did his best to outwardly support me. They never had a ton of money, but they'd get me a flying lesson every year on my birthday and if I was lucky, another one on Christmas. When I was old enough to legally work (15), I scraped together enough money to ratchet up my training and knock out my PPL before heading off to college.

Writing code paid for the degrees and everything through CFI/II/MEI, and I finally took the plunge - leaving a fairly lucrative programming gig to flight instruct full time. My Mom loved it, while my Dad pretty well lost his mind. :)

19. Ted DuPuis

Ted DuPuis Administrator Management Council Member

Display Name:

Display name:
    iBanYou
    My mom was not supportive initially and overall I think wishes I hadn't done it, but long ago learned that telling me not to do something didn't do her any good. When I started working in aviation she told me "If you get your pilot's license, don't tell me." I was in my early 20s when I started flying, and told her after I had my first solo.

When I told her, she told me if I'm going to fly, I should get my instrument rating since JFK Jr. died because he didn't have an instrument rating. I was going to anyway, so that was easy. Then she told me I should fly twins so I had a second engine to get me home if one quit. Well, that was easy, I was going to do that.

I tend to think that, while parents can have their influence, ultimately as an adult it's your decision. I wouldn't look to them for permission. Use your judgement in talking to them.

20. N3368K

N3368K Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    JimR
    No way. My mom was pregnant with me when my dad (WWII B-24 pilot) taught her to fly in a J-3...she took her checkride less than two months prior to my birth. I grew up in my mom's C-170 with her flying. :rolleyes:o_O

21. spiderweb

spiderweb Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ben
    I learned in my early 30s. My parents supported it, though they knew it was my decision. My wife semi-supported it. Her concerns were money, a concern which I shared, as well. On the flip side, she appreciates the convenience of flying, and respects the instructors and training I've had.

22. jonnyjetprop

jonnyjetprop Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    John
    I was an Aeronautical Engineering student at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo when I learned to fly. I did it in secret and never told my parents until after the check ride. My parents flew with me once afterward. I continued on to the instrument and commercial single without my parents knowledge. I dropped out of college and returned to So. Cal. I informed my parents of my intention of becoming a professional pilot (or running away to join the circus). They took it well, but were very worried. I got my CFI and started instructing. My parents financially assisted me for my multi-engine ticket. The next time my parents flew with me was when I was a captain at a commuter airline and I flew them to Vermont to visit me and my girlfriend. My mother wasn't impressed with the Metroliner and she jokingly told me the next time I better get her an upgrade to first class with free drinks. Because of the airlines I worked for, I haven't gotten her an upgrade. My airline was the type where the flight attendants instructed the passengers as to the proper storage of their weapons.

The real answer is that my parents always supported my flying and my decision to be a pilot. Yes, I'm the black sheep and my three siblings have done better than me. It's more because they really excelled, not the lack of success on my part. When my long term airline ceased operations, they paid the tuition so I could finish my bachelors degree. I hope to still score an upgrade for my mom.

23. spiderweb

spiderweb Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ben
    What airline did you fly for? Are you planning on flying for the majors?

24. evapilotaz

evapilotaz Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Drone airspace abuser

We must had the same parents

25. jonnyjetprop

Display Name:

Display name:
    John
    I spent 18 years at World Airways. I'm currently starting over at Piedmont. I'll flow to American unless I can get on at another good airline.

26. spiderweb

spiderweb Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ben
    Sounds good!

27. jordane93

jordane93 Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jordan
    What's the flow time to AA now?

28. Zeldman

Zeldman En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Billy
    Same as always....12 steps....:rolleyes::lol:

29. jonnyjetprop

Display Name:

Display name:
    John
    5.5 years for me assuming zero attrition.

jordane93 likes this.