Delta retires the 777 today

No MD-88, no 777. Now what am I going to fly:eek:

The A220 of course. Other than calling you a retard and making the term flying a euphemism writ large, it's honest work as any. :D /TC

:rofl: Anything in NYC is fine.

Indeed. Driving to work makes it an entirely different job altogether. I'd fly aladdin's carpet if I could drive to work and sit RSV in my abode. Part time work by another name. NYC being so junior, you'll be in pretty good shape QOL wise.:thumbsup:

Indeed. Driving to work makes it an entirely different job altogether. I'd fly aladdin's carpet if I could drive to work and sit RSV in my abode. Part time work by another name. NYC being so junior, you'll be in pretty good shape QOL wise.:thumbsup:
Yea I’m not too worried. I was playing around with the seniority calculator and I’m going to retire number 34 in the company and hold wide body captain for 10+ years!

Yea I’m not too worried. I was playing around with the seniority calculator and I’m going to retire number 34 in the company and hold wide body captain for 10+ years!

:rolleyes:

Famous line from THE Chief Pilot at your competitor during new hire indoc went something like, "Enjoy the ride. When you retire, a dump truck full of money will back up to your driveway and unload, then you can really have fun."

A few mergers and a bankruptcy later, not so much. At least he got the ride part correct.

:rollercoaster:

Plan accordingly financially, be pleasantly surprised if your expectations get exceeded. We just sold the Captain house to move back into the FE house, but we bought a really cool little FE house 24 years ago in a place we really like and were able to keep it all this time renting it out. The market is hot for Captain houses outside the city, and downsizing is trendy, so all is good.

Playing with calculators is fun, though. Anyone else remember the 'Shell Oil' riddle when LED calculators first came out? :cool:

No MD-88, no 777. Now what am I going to fly:eek:
A cargo plane full of rubber dog s**t out of Hong Kong.

Your career track as documented here shows that you're resilient and passionate, so even if my tongue-in-cheek answer is accurate, you'll still end up flying wide bodies with a huge grin on your face one of these days.

You have not actually touched a Delta airplane (or sim) yet, correct?
Nepotism at its finest..??

PS.. I don’t blame you. I would do the same. Just don’t make it sound like you’ve actually achieved something.
Take it and run with it. Truly good for you that your dad helped you. I would do the the exact same thing if I could, but probably not boast.

:rolleyes:

Famous line from THE Chief Pilot at your competitor during new hire indoc went something like, "Enjoy the ride. When you retire, a dump truck full of money will back up to your driveway and unload, then you can really have fun."

A few mergers and a bankruptcy later, not so much. At least he got the ride part correct.

:rollercoaster:

Plan accordingly financially, be pleasantly surprised if your expectations get exceeded. We just sold the Captain house to move back into the FE house, but we bought a really cool little FE house 24 years ago in a place we really like and were able to keep it all this time renting it out. The market is hot for Captain houses outside the city, and downsizing is trendy, so all is good.

Playing with calculators is fun, though. Anyone else remember the 'Shell Oil' riddle when LED calculators first came out? :cool:
Yea, it really has been a crazy roller coaster for the past 6 months. So much uncertainty and planning for the unknown.

If this keeps up a CRJ7 for a few years unfortunately.
Not even an RJ unfortunately. The only way to go back is getting hired again and that won’t happen for a few years. I’ve come to terms that I won’t fly for a few years.

You have not actually touched a Delta airplane (or sim) yet, correct?
Nepotism at its finest..??

PS.. I don’t blame you. I would do the same. Just don’t make it sound like you’ve actually achieved something.
Take it and run with it. Truly good for you that your dad helped you. I would do the the exact same thing if I could, but probably not boast.
I didn’t intend for my post to be boastful. As someone who is on the furlough chopping block, I’m just looking for any sort of positive news there. 6 months of ups and downs has really taken a toll on me mentally, physically, and emotionally. The only “help” I got from my dad was a letter of recommendation and a lot of solid advice. The letter of recommendation didn’t do anything becasue I still had to wait for my guaranteed interview slot through 9E. It didn’t push me up the ladder any further. I mean, I’d like to think that my hard work paid off. Working full time while going to school full time, flight instructing 6.5 days a week, picking up open time at 9E, not having a social life so I could upgrade quickly, shutting myself out from family and friends for 6 months to focus on the Delta interview. I think I’ve more than paid my dues to get to where I’m at and wouldn’t necessarily call it a silver spoon. I have a lot to be thankful for and certainly couldn’t have done it by myself. I’m working a minimum wage job right now to stay afloat because money is money. I’ll take what I can get.

O and working M-F, 9-5 every week is rough. I don’t know how everyone does it, for real:D

Last edited:
@jordane93 I wish you the best of luck. These are cardinally tiring times for many. A recent accident took the sight out of my right eye. I hope over time to regain the sight.

What ever trouble one is having, my only advice is to keep the faith and do the best you can do. Stay positive, good things happen to good folks

@jordane93 I wish you the best of luck. These are cardinally tiring times for many. A recent accident took the sight out of my right eye. I hope over time to regain the sight.

What ever trouble one is having, my only advice is to keep the faith and do the best you can do. Stay positive, good things happen to good folks
O man. Hoping for a speedy recovery!

Oh man, I’m sorry to hear that! You’ve got the right attitude, keep your head up!

Not even an RJ unfortunately. The only way to go back is getting hired again and that won’t happen for a few years. I’ve come to terms that I won’t fly for a few years.

If it truly is going to be that long before Delta takes you back, why aren't you applying to anywhere and everywhere that is hiring pilots right now? There are plenty of 135's that are looking for people.

If it truly is going to be that long before Delta takes you back, why aren't you applying to anywhere and everywhere that is hiring pilots right now? There are plenty of 135's that are looking for people.
I’ve applied to 30+ 135 companies and I only got responses from 2 of them even after saying I’d commit 2 years. Unfortunately, relocation is not an option right now for me so I’m sure I’m limiting my options. Ive also applied to different 121 ACMI operators but I’m trying to stay away from any place that will make me resign my number. I don’t want to leave Delta permanently. I actually applied today to be a TSA bomb sniffing dog handler at EWR so we’ll see what happens with that.

I’ve applied to 30+ 135 companies and I only got responses from 2 of them even after saying I’d commit 2 years. Unfortunately, relocation is not an option right now for me so I’m sure I’m limiting my options. Ive also applied to different 121 ACMI operators but I’m trying to stay away from any place that will make me resign my number. I don’t want to leave Delta permanently. I actually applied today to be a TSA bomb sniffing dog handler at EWR so we’ll see what happens with that.

Yeah not being able to relocate is going to really hinder you. Good luck.

Yeah not being able to relocate is going to really hinder you. Good luck.

At the end of the day, he's going to get paid 30 hrs a month until 2022 at this point. Sure it's not great, but it's hard to complain about. Plus he could go out and do whatever other job he wanted at the same time.

At the end of the day, he's going to get paid 30 hrs a month until 2022 at this point. Sure it's not great, but it's hard to complain about. Plus he could go out and do whatever other job he wanted at the same time.

Oh I didn't realize he was in that group of people. Guess you're right, I just couldn't fathom not flying an airplane for that long of time.

Thankfully I've got a few years of seniority built up and I'm not getting furloughed (on this round at least). I wish you the best Jordan, hang in there. People have been asking me what I'll go back to at Delta but with all the ups and downs I really don't know. I have until March to return to Delta; I'm hoping the situation will settle down (internally at least) after the holidays. Sad I never got to fly the triple - or the whale. Buses for all my friends I suppose...

I didn’t intend for my post to be boastful. As someone who is on the furlough chopping block, I’m just looking for any sort of positive news there. 6 months of ups and downs has really taken a toll on me mentally, physically, and emotionally. The only “help” I got from my dad was a letter of recommendation and a lot of solid advice. The letter of recommendation didn’t do anything becasue I still had to wait for my guaranteed interview slot through 9E. It didn’t push me up the ladder any further. I mean, I’d like to think that my hard work paid off. Working full time while going to school full time, flight instructing 6.5 days a week, picking up open time at 9E, not having a social life so I could upgrade quickly, shutting myself out from family and friends for 6 months to focus on the Delta interview. I think I’ve more than paid my dues to get to where I’m at and wouldn’t necessarily call it a silver spoon. I have a lot to be thankful for and certainly couldn’t have done it by myself. I’m working a minimum wage job right now to stay afloat because money is money. I’ll take what I can get.

O and working M-F, 9-5 every week is rough. I don’t know how everyone does it, for real:D
Your post wasn't boastful in the least. The post claiming you were was uncalled for. Ignore it.

well, guess it's that time in a thread already, this place is getting lightweight...
upload_2020-11-2_11-19-41.png
:D

I’ve come to terms that I won’t fly for a few years
6 months of ups and downs has really taken a toll on me mentally, physically, and emotionally
I’ve applied to 30+ 135 companies and I only got responses from 2 of them even after saying I’d commit 2 years.

I genuinely admire your tenacity. I wish I had more of that. In another life somewhere I would have flown big jets for an airline.. but having earned my PPL in the middle of the last meltdown where our flight school suddenly had furloughed 777 pilots instructing and selling used cars I quickly gave up the dream

You've got a fantastic attitude.. I genuinely hope and wish the best for your career in aviation. Some of us, like me, can at least live that life vicariously through others

but having earned my PPL in the middle of the last meltdown where our flight school suddenly had furloughed 777 pilots instructing and selling used cars I quickly gave up the dream

You've got a fantastic attitude.. I genuinely hope and wish the best for your career in aviation. Some of us, like me, can at least live that life vicariously through others

meh, don't be so self-deprecating. If you're interested, PM me and we can talk some inside baseball wrt "living da dream" without derailing the thread. Cheers.

meh, don't be so self-deprecating. If you're interested, PM me and we can talk some inside baseball wrt "living da dream" without derailing the thread. Cheers.

Still grinding away at that axe, huh? ;)

There is going to be a big demand for pilots once things are back to "normal", plus a little time. I would suspect that this pandemic will cause a fair amount of people to leave the industry, and a few more to not even try to enter into it. That will cause there to be a even bigger shortage of experienced and qualified pilots. If I had a crystal ball, I would say people will be back talking about the "pilot shortage" by the end of 2022.

Hard to think that plane only 25 years old is already discontinued.

There is going to be a big demand for pilots once things are back to "normal", plus a little time. I would suspect that this pandemic will cause a fair amount of people to leave the industry, and a few more to not even try to enter into it. That will cause there to be a even bigger shortage of experienced and qualified pilots. If I had a crystal ball, I would say people will be back talking about the "pilot shortage" by the end of 2022.

Maybe, but business travel subsidized personal travel when things were "normal". I'm firmly of the opinion that business travel will never again be what it was. Some will come back, but virtual meetings are rapidly 1) becoming viable as tech sorts out, 2) becoming the norm for many folks, 3) are waaaay more cost effective both in terms of travel costs but more importantly in terms of opportunity cost. Do some folks still need to travel? Sure. Field service, some kinds of hands on training, some secure meetings and or service work. But tons of business travel was for face to face meetings that can easily be done via virtual meeting. And because it's will have a couple of years to be come the norm and the technology was largely ready (or got there pretty quickly), we're not likely to go back. In my humble opinion.

A removing the business travel which was often full fare, (== expensive) will raise the prices of personal travel driving demand down. I think the industry is altered permanently.

Maybe, but business travel subsidized personal travel when things were "normal". I'm firmly of the opinion that business travel will never again be what it was.

I think it will come back; just my opinion, as my crystal ball is broken.

There is a lot of dissatisfaction in WebEx/Skype/MS Teams/Zoom meetings even in my IT coworkers and we’ve been working remote for years. The business folks I know and work with are really annoyed with them. I know “road warriors” that want to get back to traveling; plus some of their families aren’t used to seeing them this much either. :eek:

Again, just my opinion. You may be spot on.

Only time will tell.

Either way I think personal travel will make up for a bunch of it in the first couple of years. Lots of people are really missing their leisure travel; we are part of that crowd.

I think it will come back; just my opinion, as my crystal ball is broken.

There is a lot of dissatisfaction in WebEx/Skype/MS Teams/Zoom meetings even in my IT coworkers and we’ve been working remote for years. The business folks I know and work with are really annoyed with them. I know “road warriors” that want to get back to traveling; plus some of their families aren’t used to seeing them this much either. :eek:

Again, just my opinion. You may be spot on.

Only time will tell.

Either way I think personal travel will make up for a bunch of it in the first couple of years. Lots of people are really missing their leisure travel; we are part of that crowd.

I agree. There will be a reduction in business travel, but a lot of stuff is much easier in person when dealing with external parties. We have the guise of a pandemic to cover delays and misunderstandings and etc., but there is no replacement for the "cup of coffee/watercooler/glass of wine/off to the side/between us girls" conversation that makes everything much more clear. In many instances, those conversations are what provide an edge.

Maybe, but business travel subsidized personal travel when things were "normal". I'm firmly of the opinion that business travel will never again be what it was.

I agree 100% with this. My employer has people on 6 continents and spread all across the US. We completely stopped travel in April last year and have barely resumed. I don't see us returning to even 50% of previous levels of business travel for a long time. People have figured out virtual meeting and that they save a lot of time and money. I'd be very scared if I was in the business travel (hotel or airline) business. Leisure travel will come back when COVID dies out, but business travel...not so much, at least for a while.

Maybe, but business travel subsidized personal travel when things were "normal". I'm firmly of the opinion that business travel will never again be what it was. Some will come back, but virtual meetings are rapidly 1) becoming viable as tech sorts out, 2) becoming the norm for many folks, 3) are waaaay more cost effective both in terms of travel costs but more importantly in terms of opportunity cost. Do some folks still need to travel? Sure. Field service, some kinds of hands on training, some secure meetings and or service work. But tons of business travel was for face to face meetings that can easily be done via virtual meeting. And because it's will have a couple of years to be come the norm and the technology was largely ready (or got there pretty quickly), we're not likely to go back. In my humble opinion.

A removing the business travel which was often full fare, (== expensive) will raise the prices of personal travel driving demand down. I think the industry is altered permanently.
I tend to agree. We are doing virtual instrument demonstrations via Zoom or Teams now, and we are planning to continue such demos when things become more normal. Trade shows are different. People seem to want to go to those again. We tried a couple of virtual trade shows and stopped because no one "came". It wasn't worth the money.

Maybe, but business travel subsidized personal travel when things were "normal". ...
Our expense savings due to very, very limited business travel has been substantial enough to more than pay for the IT investments necessary to go 98% virtual in a F100 company with ~35K employees.

Back