DC3 Restoration

Lance F

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Lance F
A DC3 has been deteriorating literally in the weeds at our airport for a few years. An outfit called Edwards Brothers Aviation out of London came here a couple of months ago to check it out. Subsequently they bought it and came back about a week ago to get it flying.

The thing looked hopeless, but they claimed it wan't too bad. Working outside on the ramp they claim they'll have it flying in 6 weeks. To me this is amazing and really makes me happy. It will be fun to watch. These pictures are from Memorial Day Monday. There were 4 of them working. One was pressure washing the mildew that covered most of the plane (yech). The wings were off and one was inspecting every little fastener hole with a magnifying glass. The other two were opening stuff up.

They're really nice people.

Attachments

• P1020281.JPG
    P1020281.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 169
  • P1020285.JPG
    P1020285.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 124
  • P1020278.JPG
    P1020278.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 130
  • P1020279.JPG
    P1020279.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 134
I'm no expert, but it really doesn't look that bad to me. But it was probably rescued just in time. Best of luck to these folks!

All DC3s should be flying. Most excellent that this one is going to get back into service.

The old girl looks good... Don't confuse peeling paint with airworthy... I have seen pictures of DC3 freight dogs from South America that look like the pics were taken after the airframe had been through the crusher at the scrap yard - and they were being flown every day...

denny-o

That is cool. They, the Edward Brothers people, do a lot of DC3/Dakota restorations. They is good people!

But...but....but... its already got a Union Jack flying from the front.:yikes:

It would be a good documentary.
I guess condition is relative. It looked pretty rough to me and had been sitting in the weeds for years. I know water has been leaking into the cockpit and all instruments for quite awhile.
I think the plane is going to the UK. I heard one comment that they may take it to the DC3 get together at Oshkosh if it's ready in time.

I know water has been leaking into the cockpit and all instruments for quite awhile.
From what I've heard about Gooneys, water has probably been leaking onto the panel since it came out of the factory. :D

That's cool. Hopefully you will be able to add pictures as it progresses.

Now I know what my next type rating has just got to be:rofl:

More pictures of this DC3 coming up shortly.

Attachments

• P1020310.JPG
    P1020310.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 63
There's a nice DC-3 for sale on the Swanton, VT airport. Formerly operated as an executive transport by TRW, it's one of the lowest time -3's out there with less than 16,000 hrs TT.

http://coyafct.com/2009/01/dc-3/

Good price, too.

But, it has only flown one hour in the last 5 years??!

Both Props have less than one hour since overhaul and were overhauled in 2005 by B&L propeller.

28 Days after Lance took the DC-3 pictures, I stopped by to check on the current state of things. The two guys were sitting in the open door of the big hangar where they had borrowed a bit of space out of the sun sealing the many fuel tanks with Pro-Seal. That stuff is NASTY. The engines were on, but props were still off. I heard last night that the tanks are now back in, and the props on.
I'll try to get over to check and get a few more pictures this week. They claimed they were on target for the 4th week of July for the first flight. I can't even imagine what the logbook entries will look like.

Attachments

• DSCF3623.JPG
    DSCF3623.JPG
    446.3 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCF3624.JPG
    DSCF3624.JPG
    474.5 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCF3626.JPG
    DSCF3626.JPG
    445.6 KB · Views: 71
My Wife and I first laid eyes on this restoration when we flew our 1946 Aeronca 7AC Champ to a July 4th cookout this past wekeend put on by the EAA 1025 guys and "Barefoot Billy" at 9A1.

Actually, I have watched in great disappointment for many years now as the "3" sat unhappily on the Ramp with nobody to fly her. I always wondered what would happen? Cut up and hauled away some day......I was sure!

When we saw the group of dedicated folks working in the Mid Summer Georgia heat on black asphault.....breathing life into her, it brought tears to my eyes.

To top it off..........they guys stopped their work and answered our questions "happily" and generally welcomed our bothering them.......we were careful not to overstay our welcome or get in their way.

I could go on and on, but it is a great thing to see. We just stopped down again this evening for a progress check on our evening Harley ride and they are doing a fantastic job........we plan on going down every few days and checking in.....it really is a once in a lifetime experience to see so close to our home. We are enjoying it.

I will take pics and post an update this weekend from our next visit......my wife and I are going to try and bring down some items that may help the crew....we just want to help in some small way!!

And.......we will be there for the first flight....post restoration!!!! You can bet on it!!!!

Cheers!!!!!

My Wife and I first laid eyes on this restoration when we flew our 1946 Aeronca 7AC Champ to a July 4th cookout this past wekeend put on by the EAA 1025 guys and "Barefoot Billy" at 9A1.

Actually, I have watched in great disappointment for many years now as the "3" sat unhappily on the Ramp with nobody to fly her. I always wondered what would happen? Cut up and hauled away some day......I was sure!

When we saw the group of dedicated folks working in the Mid Summer Georgia heat on black asphault.....breathing life into her, it brought tears to my eyes.

To top it off..........they guys stopped their work and answered our questions "happily" and generally welcomed our bothering them.......we were careful not to overstay our welcome or get in their way.

I could go on and on, but it is a great thing to see. We just stopped down again this evening for a progress check on our evening Harley ride and they are doing a fantastic job........we plan on going down every few days and checking in.....it really is a once in a lifetime experience to see so close to our home. We are enjoying it.

I will take pics and post an update this weekend from our next visit......my wife and I are going to try and bring down some items that may help the crew....we just want to help in some small way!!

And.......we will be there for the first flight....post restoration!!!! You can bet on it!!!!

Cheers!!!!!
Great PIREP!:thumbsup: And welcome to PoA!

Hi Peyelot, I saw your Champ at 9A1 on the 4th, but I guess we didn't meet. Wasn't that barbecue great!
Let me know next time you'll be out there, and we can not bother Clive together. Mine's the last hanger on the west end of the taxiway.

I sure hope one of you 9A1 guys is planning to be there for first flight, video it, and post it here!! I wanna hear the rumble of those engines; you'll be lucky, because you'll get to FEEL the rumble of those engines!

Quite cool. The first time I landed at 9A1, I was surprised to see that big ol' DC3 sitting out there on the ramp! Like you, I figured it was just rusting in place.

Here's how it's looking now.

Taking the last picture from the inside of the DC3 reminded me of William Shatner in the Twilight Zone gremlin episode :D

Attachments

• P1020437.JPG
    P1020437.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 52
  • P1020438.JPG
    P1020438.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 47
  • P1020439.JPG
    P1020439.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 50
  • P1020445.JPG
    P1020445.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 55
so when are you going to get your type rating lance?

The engines are running, and they taxied a little yesterday. Plan is to fly it tomorrow and if all OK head straight to AirVenture.

G:\DCIM\100MSDCF\DSC06562.JPG

G:\dcim\100msdcf\dsc06563.jpg

G:\dcim\100msdcf\dsc06536.jpg

G:\dcim\100msdcf\dsc06571.jpg

G:\dcim\100msdcf\dsc06558.jpg

G:\dcim\100msdcf\dsc06569.jpg

G:\dcim\100msdcf\dsc06534.jpg

Really cookin' now! Flew down Tuesday in the Champ, but had to leave before first taxi.....darn! Drove back over after work tonight and watched the Weight & Balance............fisrt flight Thursday if all goes well!! Good Luck guys!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Lance, are they bringing it to the 75th anniversary at Sterling IL July 23rd (Timeline, I suppose not)?

"The Last Time" as this weekend is the 75th anniversary of the DC-3.

She flew for the first time in over 10 years this afternoon at about 2:30pm. They just made a pattern flight and landed. There was some kind of oil leak from the right engine. I had to leave so I don't know what they found or if they flew again. Those radials sounded great.

I drove by today and it was at least still there. A group of people were working around the port engine. I got a report that they flew it around the patch once and landed due to a problem with that engine,. The starboard is new and the port has 200 hours on it. I just got a call that indicates they have "blown" that engine and are going to work through the night pulling it and will have another engine at ehe airport in a couple of days at most. This is third hand info., so I'd have to verify it with the folks at the airport. Unfortunately I won't have a chance to get over there tomorrow as I have a commitment to go to my in-laws.
On another note I did fly for a short bit today. 100°F on the ground and 90°F at 3000' and the sky had potholes everywhere. I kept hitting them because it was so hazy I couldn't see them though, so I just came on home and cut the grass. And am suffering for that now.

She flew for the first time in over 10 years this afternoon at about 2:30pm. They just made a pattern flight and landed. There was some kind of oil leak from the right engine. I had to leave so I don't know what they found or if they flew again. Those radials sounded great.

That is so cool!!!

Here's a picture of the start of Saturday's take off roll.

In the pattern oil pressure was going down and oil temp going up, hence the very abbreviated flight. Since the engine is under warranty, they didn't want to mess with it and immediately pulled it off the airplane. They located a new engine in the Atlanta area and now, less than 48 hours after the failure, the new engine is on. There is a chance for a flight yet today and departure to Oshkosh today or more likely tomorrow.

I have never seen such a dedicated hardworking crew. This plane came out of the weeds after sitting for over 10 years on May 29. Most days this month have been well over 90 dF. Working outside on the black asphalt ramp for 12 - 14 hours per day, 7 days per week, they have kept at it. Amazing.

Attachments

• P1020498.JPG
    P1020498.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 43
Back