DC3 Restoration

I have never seen such a dedicated hardworking crew. This plane came out of the weeds after sitting for over 10 years on May 29. Most days this month have been well over 90 dF. Working outside on the black asphalt ramp for 12 - 14 hours per day, 7 days per week, they have kept at it. Amazing.

It has been nothing short of incredible. The working conditions out on that ramp are brutal. Quite a few locals have pitched in wherever possible as well. Everything from labor installing bolt on the wing roots (300 per wing) to machining parts to the loan of a bead blasting cabinet. It has drawn quite a few onlookers every time I've been by there (including me). If I can get out there this afternoon after work, I hope to hear it run, if it's not already "flown the coop".

This is amazing.

What are they doing with the DC3s they are pulling from the weeds after they get them back to flying condition ?

Well.........it's over........after being away all weekend for my High School reunion and having storms in Atlanta yesterday, I drove to Covington today after work to see if, by any chance, it was still there. It wasn't. Only a few small signs of her quest to fly again were visable....like the old tires that were removed. Bittersweet. It's gone and I will probably never see her again, but, she is off and flying again........hopefully, never to be left in the weeds again! Thank you Clive & Team!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Peyelot! You'll be happy to know that your DC-3 arrived at Oshkosh this morning! ....And from what I've read, she's the belle of the ball!!

Back