Daylight Savings Time.... Relevant?

Not only that but a random one. There is no reason why a day has to be 24 hours. It's just been that way for centuries. Same for the number of degrees in a circle. You could make a day 100 hours and circle 100 degrees. Then you could tell what time it was at any location based on longitude.

You already can. Divide the longitude by 15.

Doesn't help much, does it?

Time is a convention. It's arbitrary, but once chosen, it DOES have meaning. Like, I might want the local convenience store to be open at sunrise, but they are going to open at 7AM even if the sunrise is a lot earlier.

I hate DST, I wish we'd go the other way but apparently my biological clock is way out of sync with everyone else's. If I don't force myself up with alarms and try to force myself to sleep my body will naturally want me to go to bed between 1 and 4am and wake up between 8 and 11am. The real problem here is, while it's easy to force myself up(set the alarm clock and just do it) it's nearly impossible to force myself to go to bed at a certain time. So when I used to be on a regular work schedule, during the DST part of the year I just got up earlier than my body wanted to every morning(and felt like crap) and didn't catch up on sleep until the weekend. Every year when we went off DST it was such a relief, the work schedule was closer to my natural schedule so it was easier.

I know some folks like to schedule/do things really early in the morning to get it out of the way but every time it's something I have to be involved in it sucks. I get up early, I won't feel rested, I'll feel like crap for the rest of the day. OTOH I seem to get this huge energy jump around 9-10pm and have been known to start major projects like painting a room or something while my wife is asleep. Is it just me?

Same here. I just went back to 3-11p shift after trying days for 2 years. Forcing myself awake with alarm clocks feels like torture.

Time is a convention. It's arbitrary, but once chosen, it DOES have meaning. Like, I might want the local convenience store to be open at sunrise, but they are going to open at 7AM even if the sunrise is a lot earlier.

Is there a law saying the convenance store can't open at 6am, or stay open 24 hours for that matter?

I think everyone should be on the same time. like when it is noon in Texas it should be noon in Australia..... then no one would make mistakes trying to figure out time zone differences....:yes:
That's how China does it. They have a wide enough country that they should have 4 or 5 timezones but they just standardize to the East Coast's time.

Relevant or not, self-setting clocks (GPS/WWVB/Ethernet/WiFi/GSM/CDMA) FTW!

Now about that clock on the convection oven... :(

I love DST because it gives me another daylight hour after I get home from work in the evening. With yard work, a 6 year old, a desire to run 3x a week, and an aviation habit, there is never enough after work daylight.

Relevant or not, self-setting clocks (GPS/WWVB/Ethernet/WiFi/GSM/CDMA) FTW!

Now about that clock on the convection oven... :(

That's an easy fix...... mine blinks 1200 all the time. I figure it is a VFR only oven....

I do like the self setting clocks. But I forgot to change the time on the thermostat.....

My wife's friends and relatives (mostly relatives) are all griping on Facebook about their various and sundry physical and emotional ailments brought about by the time change yesterday. Meanwhile, our biggest problem is re-calculating what time to turn on the basketball game based on the "Eastern Time" TV listing. :p

My wife's friends and relatives (mostly relatives) are all griping on Facebook about their various and sundry physical and emotional ailments brought about by the time change yesterday. Meanwhile, our biggest problem is re-calculating what time to turn on the basketball game based on the "Eastern Time" TV listing. :p

I'm guessing they never stray from their home time zone? 'Cause going from the East coast to the West or vice versa would probably kill their dainty little selves...

You don't know these people ... :rolleyes:

I know lots of "these" people. Dainty little flowers who'd be gobbled up by wolves or sucked into a threshing machine if society didn't build a bubble around them. Oh, the horrors of a time change!

That's an easy fix...... mine blinks 1200 all the time. I figure it is a VFR only oven....

I wish my convection oven did that. Instead it just starts from 1200 and keeps going. Luckily the microwave oven if you don't set it just stays blank

I do like the self setting clocks. But I forgot to change the time on the thermostat.....

WiFi thermostat here.

Think there's part of IN or IL that don't either.
Years ago, up until maybe the early 90s, IN didn't observe the time switch at all. This was simple and had worked flawlessly since the day time was "standardized". Then, someone decided that since so many Hoosiers work in Chicago, Cincinnati, Louisville, and Owensboro, that it was really a County's Rights issue and the ideologically pure thing to do was to allow each county to decide if they were going to observe the switch. This led to Indiana basically being surrounded by a ring of counties which were on a different time than the rest of the state (colloquially known as IN fast time and IN slow time). I remember leaving school at 1530 to arrive at a school an hour away to play a baseball game scheduled to begin at 1530. This chaos couldn't stand and rather than just reverting to the old way, it was decided to just conform and to start observing the time switch, which, of course, ran counter to the wishes of pretty much everyone.

--Hoosier by birth, Boilermaker by the grace of god, and I still have no idea what time it's supposed to be.

Back