Database updates for the big iron

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
All of us GA types are used to how we update our panel GPS's every cycle. Connect to Jepp/Garmin, transfer to datacard, put datacard into majik box, power on, majik box updates.

I'm curious how this gets accomplished on the passenger jets?

Really good question... I am sure they subscribe to some type of OTA/Satellite service... or maintenance does it on a rolling schedule. I'm curious to see the real answers!

We have a tool called a Portable Data Loader that connects to a port in the flight deck. It's a controlled tool so always has the latest software. Prior to that we used floppy disks. The FMC Nav database gets updated every month.

The mechanics do it, of course! LOL

The FMS holds two databases, only one is active. Maintenance loads the new database before the old one expires. We check for the current database on every preflight. When we hit the changeover date it take two (maybe three, can't remember if you have to execute it) keystrokes to swap the active/inactive DBs.

We have a tool called a Portable Data Loader that connects to a port in the flight deck. It's a controlled tool so always has the latest software. Prior to that we used floppy disks. The FMC Nav database gets updated every month.

What website do you use? We used NGA when I was in the service. Updated the cards DAFIF each month and then cranked the APUs and downloaded to each aircraft. Not required unless using the GPS IFR though.

The mechanics do it, of course! LOL

The FMS holds two databases, only one is active. Maintenance loads the new database before the old one expires. We check for the current database on every preflight. When we hit the changeover date it take two (maybe three, can't remember if you have to execute it) keystrokes to swap the active/inactive DBs.

Our databases swap automatically. Not sure what happens if we are in flight during that time period though...

Yeah, that's a maintenance function. We just check to make sure it's up to date.

Back when I flew corporate they managed to make the crew do it. That was absolute BS. The Feds stepped in at one point, then gave us a waiver. It took several hours (due to the mfd chart display update) and at least 1/2 the time we had to call maintenance anyway.

What website do you use? We used NGA when I was in the service...

Like I said, it's a controlled document so we get it from maintenance control. Just like maintenance manuals or IPC's you wouldn't be allowed to get something off the internet and use it to work on an aircraft. Where control gets it from? Jeppsen I would suppose.

Its over $20k for a 6 month subscription in the GLEX. A lot of guys complain about the cost of the 430 update.

Back