Daily Pic

I loved the theory, until I looked at the value

How do you figure?
As far as I know there is less energy in a gallon of ethanol than there is in a gallon of good old gasoline.

I used to have a Silverado that was rated for up to E85. I never found a source for it, but when they started selling ethanol free at stations around here I did some experimentation and proved the theory that MPG is better with gas than it is with standard "up to 10% ethanol"
And after doing a little math, I saw that the pricing structure doesn't offset the loss and I also clued into the scam about how they snuck it up onto people....and aren't exactly clear as to how much ethanol is in the gasoline. If they would have just dumped 10% on us all at once everyone even half way looking would have seen a noticeable drop in economy and the prices they charge for it doesn't offset that loss. Ethanol is a total rip-off as far as I can tell....
E85 fuel does have less energy per unit than E0. However, ethanol has better flame/ignition characteristics as well as cylinder cooling effects which result in being able to bring in more air (and more e85) into the fuel mix. You end up being able to pack more air/fuel into the cylinder versus E0 due to that cooling (which favorably impacts knock/preignition). The result is about a 15-20% increase in power, obviously at the expense of worse fuel economy because you're using more e85 per cylinder stroke. E85 is also has a rough octane rating of up to 105, which is the result of that cooling-vaporization effect, which allows for more advanced engine timing. You Silverado that was "capable" of running on e85 (usually called a FlexFuel vehicle) wasn't designed to take full advantage of e85, it just had components installed that would detect e85 as well as components that wouldn't break down when higher concentrations of ethanol was introduced in the fuel system. My '08 F-150 was a FlexFuel truck as well, but I never ran it.

Forced induction engines benefit the most from e85, as they are capable of providing more boost than an NA engine. My wife's CTS V-Sport (3.6L twin-turbo) makes about 380HP to the rear wheels in stock form. Running E50 (basically half-n-half blend of 91 E0 and E85) it will put down 500RWHP which requires nothing but a spark plug change (colder spark plugs) and a tune to take advantage of the higher-ethanol fuel.

There is an app, where you put in the price of e85, and the other prices of gas. It will tell you which is the best value. Sometimes the e85 is a better value, but most of the time it's not.

There is an app, where you put in the price of e85, and the other prices of gas. It will tell you which is the best value. Sometimes the e85 is a better value, but most of the time it's not.
On top of that, many engine manufacturers recommend decreased oil change intervals when running e85 fuels, so there's a bit of extra cost there as well.

There was an enormous amount of harvesting happening around Indy Exec (KTYQ) yesterday late afternoon!! So you’re not alone in that task!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'tis the season

Yields have been far better than expected, which is good because I'm going to have a big bill to pay when my plane gets out of annual.

Here's one of my little helpers since this is the picture thread:
20231004_153117.jpg

'tis the season

Yields have been far better than expected, which is good because I'm going to have a big bill to pay when my plane gets out of annual.

Here's one of my little helpers since this is the picture thread:
View attachment 121353
Might want to give her a smaller shovel. Don't want her to throw her back out and then you got a workers-comp claim on your hands!

Humbug...

Internal combustion engines were supposed to be compression ignition. If they hadn't killed off Rudy Diesel, all this gasoline nonsense would never had happened.

Spark plugs are for losers... (IMHO) ;)

fbb135847fa9c6e99d3d72265ebe6270.jpg

Bath time done!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spark plugs are for losers... (IMHO) ;)

I bought my truck new 18 years ago and have never changed the spark plugs.

But I will need to change out the glow plugs pretty soon.

I had all summer to do that but who needs glow plugs in the summer.??

We flew the red fun and smaller plane. Rutgers team flew blue boring plane. Beautiful smooth flight into BMG. Continuous moderate chop on the return. Winds variable from 280-300@ 13 G25. Go around rwy 33. Came back landed rwy 23. One sporty landing that was. I'm not going out in gusty conditions again.

20231021_154047.jpg

Attachments

• 20231021_112521.jpg
    20231021_112521.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 23
We flew the red fun and smaller plane. Rutgers team flew blue boring plane. Beautiful smooth flight into BMG. Continuous moderate chop on the return. Winds variable from 280-300@ 13 G25. Go around rwy 33. Came back landed rwy 23. One sporty landing that was. I'm not going out in gusty conditions again.

View attachment 121666
Congratulations on getting it on the ground safely.
Next time you will know that you can land in those winds.

Last edited:
I flew early Sat morning in clear smooth air. That is our airport I67.
IMG_3474.JPG

This is Brookville reservoir.
IMG_3482.JPG

On the southern end the warm water was creating fog.
IMG_3481.JPG

So I just couldn't help myself from cloud surfing it all the way back to the airport which is nearby.
IMG_3487.JPG

Back