Daily Pic

I decided to go for a 2h flight at midnight and enjoy the full moon this evening. I'd flown over Peoria (KPIA) countless times but never landed there, so that was my destination. Chicago approach and center were super sleepy channels at 2am...

PXL_20230829_060237414.jpg

PXL_20230829_053355207.jpg

PXL_20230829_052315884.jpg

Last edited:
It was super moon Tuesday last night. The moon always looks larger in person than it does in pictures. Ever notice that or it my cheap camera phone?
IMG_3223.JPG

IMG_3221.JPG

Flying out of KIPT afforded me the opportunity to take some photos of the Little League World Series (note, this is in the morning before any of the games started.)

IMG_2028.jpg
Crossing the border into Kentucky, the fields along the river were just gorgeous.
IMG_2030.jpg

Then I took my wife up to see Niagara Falls. It was the first time I had ever seen them, and I can't wait to go back when there's more time. It was just an up and back with a stop at KIAG.
Niagara Falls.jpg

It was super moon Tuesday last night. The moon always looks larger in person than it does in pictures. Ever notice that or it my cheap camera phone?
IMG_3223.JPG

IMG_3221.JPG
Curious where was this photo at? Looks like a cool spot tucked away in trees.

Did I accidentally draw a skypenis?

5188e31545574f96f6e85d42e301c08d.jpg

(Even if I did it can’t be that big since I posted it to POA on my iPhone!)

Door County WI from Ellison Bay (right) to Death's Door (left). Green Bay is near, and Lake Michigan is in the distance. You can see that Lake Michigan has more wave action.

1693697709357.png

Flew up to Trigger Gap (17A) today… Might be a cool fall fly-in spot for those of us that aren’t afraid of grass or camping. 3000ft and reasonably smooth. There’s a bathroom, fireplace, seats/swing, and a great view.
IMG_5126.jpeg
IMG_5127.jpeg
IMG_5096.jpeg
IMG_5077.jpeg

From above, for reference.
IMG_5128.jpeg

Flew up to Trigger Gap (17A) today… Might be a cool fall fly-in spot for those of us that aren’t afraid of grass or camping. 3000ft and reasonably smooth. There’s a bathroom, fireplace, seats/swing, and a great view.
View attachment 120546
View attachment 120547
View attachment 120549
View attachment 120550

From above, for reference.
View attachment 120551
orrrrrrrrrr... come to Gastons (20nm east) on the 29th!
(but yes, I've always wanted to hit Trigger Gap!)

Nice picture, amazing and ridiculous to me. How many acres of farm land are we going to use to make a little power? And then how much maintenance is it going to take to keep those panels clean to operate at the designed efficiency? Then who going to clean up all these sites when the operators go belly up?
OK maybe that is not farm land but it is here and they are spreading like crazy around here.
And I used to complain about nothing but corn to look at driving across Kansas, not anymore.
Would you rather emergency land in corn or solar panels?

Last edited:
Nice picture, amazing and ridiculous to me. How many acres of farm land are we going to use to make a little power? And then how much maintenance is it going to take to keep those panels clean to operate at the designed efficiency? Then who going to clean up all these sites when the operators go belly up?
OK maybe that is not farm land but it is here and they are spreading like crazy around here.
And I used to complain about nothing but corn to look at driving across Kansas, not anymore.
I'd rather we stop growing corn for no other reason than adding ethanol to gasoline making the fuel efficiency worse, lol. Not to mention the energy input into growing/harvesting/refining ethanol from corn being more than the output. It does seem like the long-term impacts of the solar farms are going to become a pretty stark reality in about 20 years when the have to retire a bunch of that equipment.

I'd rather we stop growing corn for no other reason than adding ethanol to gasoline making the fuel efficiency worse, lol. Not to mention the energy input into growing/harvesting/refining ethanol from corn being more than the output. It does seem like the long-term impacts of the solar farms are going to become a pretty stark reality in about 20 years when the have to retire a bunch of that equipment.
I love E85, but we can't even get it around here lol. Closest station is an hour away

Yup, and expect beef prices to rise. I bet they could have 100+ cows on that land. I was startled to see it a few miles from my home drone.

I don’t always e-land, but when I do it’s on a nice paved runway for practice!

Flying out of KIPT afforded me the opportunity to take some photos of the Little League World Series (note, this is in the morning before any of the games started.)

View attachment 120230
Crossing the border into Kentucky, the fields along the river were just gorgeous.
View attachment 120229

Then I took my wife up to see Niagara Falls. It was the first time I had ever seen them, and I can't wait to go back when there's more time. It was just an up and back with a stop at KIAG.
View attachment 120228
Neat LLWS view. I delivered newspapers in that area and my siblings worked concessions at LLWS!

How many acres of farm land are we going to use to make a little power? And then how much maintenance is it going to take to keep those panels clean to operate at the designed efficiency? Then who going to clean up all these sites when the operators go belly up?

Even worse, what are we going to do when the sun goes dark because we’ve drained too much energy from it with all these solar panels?

Even worse, what are we going to do when the sun goes dark because we’ve drained too much energy from it with all these solar panels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back