d

If you have a pilots license and your own small plane can you fly to another state instead of using airlines?
Yes happens frequently. Especially if you are based in Rhode Island.

For me, based near Dallas, a favorite location to go to is Norman, Oklahoma for breakfast.

It is even permitted to travel in your own small airplane on your PPL to other countries. I have a friend who has flown himself to the Bahamas three times now.

Where would you land?
At an airport. Part of the pre-trip planning is to look at your destination and select which airport to use.

Could you go from Arizona to Indiana in something like a 1967 Cessna 150? Or is that to far?
Yes you can do Arizona to Indiana in a 150. But you will need to plan for some additional stops for fuel onload and bladder offload.

If you have a pilots license and your own small plane can you fly to another state instead of using airlines? Where would you land? Could you go from Arizona to Indiana in something like a 1967 Cessna 150? Or is that to far? To anyone who responds thank you for your time!

Of course, it's the United States, youre free to travel from state to state however you're qualified to do so, ultra light, C150, unicycle, whatever.

Many people have done the same flight you mention in 150/2s, it's not the fastest or most comfortable plane for mediumish range stuff, but for sure it's doable

If you have a pilots license and your own small plane can you fly to another state instead of using airlines? Where would you land? Could you go from Arizona to Indiana in something like a 1967 Cessna 150? Or is that to far? To anyone who responds thank you for your time!
You can, but I don’t think you’d want to... unless you’re trying to build time..??
Small aircraft are very slow and short range as compared to airliners.

You can, but I don’t think you’d want to... unless you’re trying to build time..??
Small aircraft are very slow and short range as compared to airliners.
....but think of the adventure!
Suggest reading “Flight of Passage”, where a young man shares his cross country adventure.

All you need is money and time. Remember ( time to spare go by air.) one of your biggest factors would be the weather.

You may make such a flight. Can you? That answer is for you to answer. You’ll become a better pilot completing such a flight.

An airline trip would be cheaper and quicker.

Being in North Carolina, I run up and down the east coast and out to the midwest and can frequently BEAT the airlines when I factor in the time it takes me to get to the airport, get through security, board, fly, deplane, get a rental car, drive to where I'm going. Even when I lived adjacent to IAD, I could beat people to most Massachusetts destinations as I'd fly into a close GA field (like OWD) rather than busting my way out of Logan.

Being in North Carolina, I run up and down the east coast and out to the midwest and can frequently BEAT the airlines when I factor in the time it takes me to get to the airport, get through security, board, fly, deplane, get a rental car, drive to where I'm going. Even when I lived adjacent to IAD, I could beat people to most Massachusetts destinations as I'd fly into a close GA field (like OWD) rather than busting my way out of Logan.

I used to do similar when I lived in Jacksonville, FL and was going to the Atlanta area frequently (Covington). I'd rent a C-172 and beat people that were doing the same trip in a 737. I'd typically beat them on cost as well since I didn't have to pay for parking at the GA airport. I also didn't have to worry about paying for a cab or rental car since Covington was the place I was going to end up at anyway.

What airplane are you flying?

When I brought my plane from Michigan to Vermont when I moved here, I had to get a one-way ticket from BTV to DTW. Not even counting the one-hour drive to BTV or the security nonsense, the commercial flight took 6 hours because of a multi-hour layover at ORD. Coming back in the Branded Bird from VLL to MPV took well under 4 hours (due to a fair tailwind, but even with a moderate headwind I can do it in under 4.5).

I have flown from the San Francisco area to the Canadian border in a Skycatcher, which is even more limited than a 150 (and less comfortable). I had to learn how to pack light!

Whether it's too far or not is a matter of personal preference, and depends on the purpose of the flight. Fun? Definitely! A practical mode of transportation? Not so much.

Last edited:
I have flown from the San Francisco area to the Canadian border in a Skycatcher, which is even more limited than a 150 (and less comfortable). I had to learn how to pack light!

More limited than a 150. :eek:
More uncomfortable than a 150 also? :confused:
Now that says something.

And probably explains a lot about why that program didn't survive.

I still say that the 1200 plus miles from Arizona to Indiana would be quicker and cheaper by airliner than a beginner flying a 150.

More limited than a 150. :eek:
More uncomfortable than a 150 also? :confused:
Now that says something.

And probably explains a lot about why that program didn't survive.
I think the price tag had a lot to do with it.

Suggest reading “Flight of Passage”, where a young man shares his cross country adventure.
That’s true. If you’re doing it for the fun of the journey, it can be lots of fun!

The GA piston sweet spot is podunk-to-podunk, hub-to-podunk, podunk-to-hub, 200NM to 700NM. Closer, driving is quicker; farther, the airlines are quick provided no connecting flight. Hub to hub, airlines are quicker and cheaper. My mission throughout the years has hit this sweet spot (400NM, podunk-to-hub or podunk-to-podunk). Those trips would simply would have not occurred had I not been an aircraft owner. I wasn't gonna drive 10 hours for them, nor was I going to spend 300/head for a 400nm hop, plus 3 hours to the 121 airport and the TSA indignity for destinations that would still require a connection since neither the origin or destination are major 121 domiciles (SAT to OKC in this instance).

Hub* = metro areas where mainline makes connecting or O/D flights.
podunk*= anywhere not served by 121 or served by FFD carriers only.

In the aggregate it's not cheaper, since one carries the year round cost of upkeep of a conveyance that wouldn't pay for itself if the only purpose was to incur these occasional leisure trips. But since that's a sunk cost to me as someone who was going to own an airplane recreationally anyways, it does become a benefit. And at least on a "per trip" basis, it is objectively true that the trips were cheaper and quicker on the Arrow for 3 people than via the airlines. To each their own.

When I lived in Missouri and built O'Reilly stores from Dallas to Jacksonville to Cleveland to South Dakota and all points in between, I could ALWAYS beat Airline Times by flying my 182 (and always did fly it, how do you think buddy got his 400 hrs!), because I did not live close to a hub.

One particular example I always love to give: one day I had an 7 am meeting in Cleveland, a noon meeting in Mountain Grove, MO, and a 4 p.m. meeting in Fayetteville AR.

Try that flying commercially!!!

Sure, as long as the OP's flight is, commercial would probably be quicker. But there are a lot of long distance instances where Airlines can't come close to competing...especially if it's multiple legs like the example above or you don't live near a hub.

Last edited:
Kind of a disingenuous question. Why would you believe otherwise? If you can drive from state to state why can't you fly in a small plane as an alternative to the airlines? I have flown across the country in small planes a number of times, landing at airports the airlines wouldn't even consider. Travel by airline is the most restrictive way to get from place to place; you give up your freedom to the faceless people who decide where and when an airliner will fly.

Echoing what Tim said, as a charter pilot I flew many business people to multiple airports on the same day...impossible by airline.

Bob

I have a Navion but I did similar things in a 172.

I have a Navion but I did similar things in a 172.

There you have it. Both, especially the Navion, are a bit faster than a 150. The Navion can do better crossing the mountains too.

If you can read the part where they were trying leave California with a box of avocadoes without cracking up, you have no sense of humor.

It would have taken me 14 hours total time to drive from my house to the ABQ airport, fly to Seattle, then Seattle to Juneau.

I did it by car and car ferry in 7 days. Much more fun to drive.

And about the same cost.

Whether it's too far or not is a matter of personal preference, and depends on the purpose of the flight. Fun? Definitely! A practical mode of transportation? Not so much.
I disagree. The skycatcher has pretty much the same capabilities as a 150. And it has a LOT more space side by side than a 150. But I don't even like taking it more than 45 minutes at a time.

I took my private plane, a Piper Archer II which is significantly faster and more comfortable than a 150 from IL to CA, going through TX, NM, and AZ. Took over 30 hours of total flight time and several days to get there and get back. If you're looking at this as a practical replacement to airlines no way. Some days on some trips we can beat them(more on how later) but we are very limited as to the weather we can safely fly in vs what the airlines can do. If you think American airlines has long and frequently delayed flights you ain't seen nothin' yet buddy. I've had to wait 6 days to start a trip before.

Now that all said, if your travel needs/wants are not time critical the experience is night and day. We don't have security to deal with, no lines, and most of the people you'll deal with traveling by small plane are friendly and helpful. We can not only fly to the places airlines can but we have even more airports available to us that they can't/won't go to. There are small towns all over the country with their own airports, small more convenient airports in major metro areas, beach/island destination airports, etc. And this is where we sometimes can beat the airlines- if your departure point and destination are small airports not served by the airline you are getting there more directly. No security/lines to deal with will save you time and you can arrange to have a rental car waiting for you at most airports. The airliner flies 5x faster but all the time the airline passengers are traveling to the airport, around the terminal, and waiting at the gate you're in the air and making progress. If you win the dice roll on the weather being good sometimes you can beat them... if we're being honest though usually not.

You fly places in the small airplane because you enjoy it. You enjoy the challenge and sense of accomplishment of getting yourself there. You enjoy not having to deal with security, hostile airport employees, the seas of unwashed masses, and being jammed into a spam can. You do it for the views, the adventure, and the unique experience. You'll see things from a perspective few ever will. All this comes at the cost of long delays, money, a lot of work getting the training needed, money, frustration, money, weather delays, money, unexpected repairs, and more money. If you fully understand this and still feel like it's worth it then find your nearest airport and ask if they can give you a discovery flight.

Something that has not been mentioned, getting the Private Pilot License. Months (most likely), money to train, then the money to buy the 150.

With all of that, it is worth it. JUST DO IT!

Flying is better than, well, ...most other things people spend money and effort on.

Kind of a disingenuous question. Why would you believe otherwise? If you can drive from state to state why can't you fly in a small plane as an alternative to the airlines?
One word: Troll.

:)

I agree with the other poster above. 200 to 700 nm seems to be the sweet spot for the typical GA plane.. faster than driving, sometimes by a wiiiiide margin.. and easier, and sometimes faster (yes) than commercial time.. door to door. Unless you live far from your local airport then the whole 2 hrs upfront, waiting, luggage, etc., adds a ton of "non value added" time to your trip

If you have the luxury of a 180 knot cruise speed or faster in a GA plane (modified 210s, Cirrus, TTx, Mooney, Aerostar:drool: etc.) now you're really talking. Even a trip from San Diego to Louisiana is going to be comparable on time between GA and commercial... maybe even faster GA than commercial

And.. you get to fly on your own schedule, playing (somewhat) by your own rules, and can enjoy the beautiful view out the front in your own plane as opposed to sitting next to someone who is spilling into your seat while every window on the plane is closed and everyone smells like farts.

Weather can be an issue.. so you have to be prepared for that.. but generally if you can afford it then flying yourself is a much more appealing option.. at least to me. Would I fly San Diego to Boston for work in a GA plane... NO (*well maybe if I had an Aerostar I may...). But, San Diego to Louisiana, TX, Seattle, MSP... probably yeah.

Geez guys. It’s a typical question from someone that isn’t a pilot.
Usually one of the top 5 questions people ask me when they find out I am a pilot is "but where can you land?" or some variation of that. There's an assumption out there that us GA pilots aren't "real" pilots and can't land at the "real" airports

Most people would have no idea that there are tons of other airfields out there besides just your big ones that the airlines fly out of

The state to state thing seemed odd to me.. but depending on what country you are from many places in the world don't afford the luxury of free (mostly unfettered, unharassed) travel across thousands of miles of land

One advantage of traveling on an airliner, you can drink booze while flying.

Geez guys. It’s a typical question from someone that isn’t a pilot. Calling him a troll isn’t very welcoming.
Hopefully history doesn’t repeat itself.

Geez guys. It’s a typical question from someone that isn’t a pilot. Calling him a troll isn’t very welcoming.
Check out his second post if you think he isn't a troll.

If you have the time, I would recommend you watch these two dudes who flew around the world in a Cessna 210. More than the trip itself, the videos and narration are of excellent quality.

Check out his second post if you think he isn't a troll.
I may be gullible, or naive (or both?). But I've had people ask me also how much I would charge to fly them from A to B. Being a good law abiding citizen I always spelled out the "not more than your share etc" stuff.. but I would still give the benefit of the doubt

My typical trip is across the state of Washington from Olympia to Pullman. I have three options:

1. Drive. 5 1/2 to 6 hours each way.
2. Ride Horizon. 4+ hours from my house to KPUW. A bit over an hour drive to SEA. Arrive 2 hours before departure time. About 1 hour gate to gate.
3. Fly myself. Pushing 3 hours from my house to KPUW. About 20 minutes to KOLM. Allow another 20 minutes or so to prefight and load up. A bit over 2 hours KOLM to KPUW. More in the 172, less more in the 182.

Cost wise, just the opposite. The cheapest is to drive, the most expensive is to fly myself. But, flying myself is the most fun, put whatever price you want on that. Flying myself is also weather dependent. Even if I am IFR current there are still weather conditions across the Cascades that ground non-FIKI aircraft. I don't like trying to fly a popsicle, and we have a marvelous ice machine.

I don't take people who want to get from point A to point B unless I'm already planning on going there. I don't have a commercial ticket, nor do I work for a 135 outfit. My flying is for my enjoyment (and my wife's, if I going someplace of interest to her).

Back