Cylinder compressions low on an IO-360

Discussion in 'Maintenance Bay' started by arnoha, Jan 4, 2019.

1. arnoha

arnoha Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    arnoha
    More bad news...I was just informed that, during a 100-hour, the IO-360-L2A in my 172S read 20/80 on cylinders 1 and 2. The kicker? Cylinder #1 was replaced in February, about 300 hours ago, due to reading nearly no compression. #2 is likely from the overhaul, 1200 hours ago. The shop is evaluating right now, but I'm curious what could be causing repeated failures like this? What sorts of questions should I be asking? This is very frustrating...the parallel valve IO-360 is supposed to be bulletproof.

EDIT: Another thing I should note, since this plane is a leaseback, it gets 100 hour inspections. At the last 100 hour, compressions were fine. Need to go figure out exactly how high, but it was high enough that no concern at all was noted, so I'm assuming over 65/80. Whatever happened, it didn't give any warning. Oil analysis was also clean.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  2. Clip4

Clip4 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Cli4ord
    My suspicion is pilots are not leaning properly. Did cylinder 1 in February have a burnt exhaust valve?

3. PaulS

PaulS Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    PaulS
    Was the engine warm? My opinion is that quality control on these cylinders is not what it should be.

4. arnoha

Display Name:

Display name:
    arnoha
    I don't believe so...I would have remembered that. I'll ask. Interesting note: they recommended replacing the cylinder last time, but are only recommending honing and rings this time. I've sent an email asking why.

Leaning is probably a mess, yeah. It's a leaseback and a classic training plane, so I assume the red knob is being used poorly when anyone bothers to touch it at all.

5. arnoha

Display Name:

Display name:
    arnoha
    They did the compression both cold and warm. Warm did not improve matters. Also, cylinder #1 was replaced with overhauled in Februrary, not new. I figured with only 1000 hours left to TBO, it should make it that far. Guess I was wrong.

6. MooneyDriver78

MooneyDriver78 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tom
    Borescope it.

Tom

Stan Cooper and wayneda40 like this.
  7. Kenny Phillips

Kenny Phillips Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kenny Phillips
    As they did a leakdown test, they should have instantly known whether the issue is intake or exhaust valve, or piston rings/cylinder.

Stan Cooper, wayneda40 and Raymo like this.
  8. Checkout_my_Six

Checkout_my_Six Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Check_my_Six
    Dirty/clogged injector will cause those cylinders to run hot at full power. Is there an engine analyzer?

Tom-D likes this.
  9. Tom-D

Tom-D Taxi to Parking PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tom-D
    Yep,,,, that's where I'd start.

10. Stewartb

Stewartb Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    stewartb
  11. arnoha

Display Name:

Display name:
    arnoha
    This is all great information. Haven't seen an email today and shop would be closed at this point. I'm unsure if the chief mechanic will be working tomorrow, and this is serious enough that it would be worked by him. Might have to wait till Monday to get more info. I'll fire off an email with some of these questions.

12. arnoha

Display Name:

Display name:
    arnoha
    No engine monitor. Still has only the stock engine equipment...single point EGT, oil temp, oil pressure, fuel flow (that's really fuel pressure). No CHT, no per-cylinder EGT, no flow transducer. I've debated putting a monitor in. Everyone I've spoken to says it's pricey overkill for a 172 and that it'll just confuse the students. I'm beginning to think that may be bad advice.

Side note on the injectors...I did have an injector fail (literally fall apart in the mechanic's hands as he removed it) almost as soon as I bought it three years ago. Don't remember which cylinder it was; I don't have the logbooks with me. Maybe that portends other injector problems. Maybe this is a good time to get GAMIs.

Checkout_my_Six likes this.
  13. Tom-D

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tom-D
    Ahhh --- Yeah. this is why they were invented.

14. Clip4

Clip4 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Cli4ord
    Actually you are better off if they never lean vs leaning to aggressively or failing to enrich when when adding full power.

15. Silvaire

Silvaire En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Silvaire
    Then what? Nobody is going to poke a scope in there and say yea, it looks fine then sign it off. If it's got a 20/80 compression reading it's coming off regardless of what you think you see with a scope.

Tom-D likes this.
  16. MooneyDriver78

MooneyDriver78 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tom
    I would check cylinder walls for scoring, valves for proper seating, etc. I would do this after you do the leak down check of course.
    Maybe there is lead build up on the valves preventing proper seating, maybe you have a broken piston ring(s).

Tom

wayneda40 likes this.
  17. Tom-D

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tom-D
    Well maybe not, really depends upon what we can do to prevent pulling it, rope trick may cure it for a little while. Flooding the cylinder with oil on compression stroke to see if we can loosen a stuck ring.
    Really you must do the trouble shooting prior to panicking and removing the cylinder.

18. aftCG

aftCG Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    aftCG
    So you're saying that a leaseback may not be for everyone?

19. Bell206

Bell206 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bell206
    Or the old drop-the-valve-into-the-cylinder and clean or ream trick.

20. JOhnH

JOhnH Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Spun Out
    The fact that it is a leaseback does negate "some" of the reasons for getting a engine analyzer, but not all of them But this is a good example of why an analyzer is so important if you can be sure the pilot will use it.

But even in a leaseback, you can download the data and see what has been going on. This can give important information, and hopefully, the CFIs will have a clue about using it properly.

21. Tom-D

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tom-D
    takes a rope to do that. thus the rope trick

22. AKBill

AKBill Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    AKBill
    Don't think I would ever do a lease back. I abuse the plane enough myself, but at lease I know what I did. A renter is not going to say squat about how they ran the plane.

A lot of good points have been made.

As stated I would look at injectors also if engine was started with out preheating in cold weather. Type of oil may make a difference. I'm flying between 50 to 75 hours a year (wish I could fly more, work and weather makes it hard). I have used Phillips Type M oil for the last few years with good results. I have a filter installed 2 years ago and change every 25 hours. Works for me.

Good luck, hope you find out what the problem is..

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  23. CC268

CC268 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    CC268
    Gotta use full rental power lol

24. asicer

asicer En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    asicer
    Can't speak to the first part, but as for the second part the G1000 has a built-in monitor/analyzer and primary students don't seem to be too confused by it.

25. Jamie Kirk

Jamie Kirk Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    JamieK
    The term fly it like it’s rented comes to mind.

26. Bell206

Bell206 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bell206
    I guess it depends how it was done. The guy that showed me used the rope first and if that didn't break the valve loose, he pulled the rope, then pulled the keepers, tied dental tape to the stem, pushed the valve in and went about his business cleaning.

27. arnoha

Display Name:

Display name:
    arnoha
    Leaseback is definitely not for everyone. It makes sense for me (even with this), but it really depends on the right combination of club, plane, and location. And luck. Definitely luck is involved.

I've also learned that, for leaseback, you need a deep reserve, significantly deeper than for private ownership. It's cheaper in the long-term (I've done the math). But in the short term, it can really hurt you.

No news yet...I'll go in and chat directly on Monday.

28. Silvaire

Silvaire En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Silvaire
    Maybe if you're stuck out in the boonies somewhere but in a hangar full of tools I'm just gonna pull the jug off and fix it right.

Tom-D and mondtster like this.
  29. Tom-D

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tom-D
    THat's what I'm saying, find it early, fix it right and add life to the cylinder/engine. and stop the worries about breaking down across country

Darter 100 likes this.
  30. Bell206

Bell206 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bell206
    I'm with you on that. Fortunately or unfortunately, was never in a situation where a cylinder was half broke. Every one I pulled was to verify the damage: popped valve seat, burnt valve, cracked head, missing pieces, etc. The guy that showed me the valve/cylinder trick took care of a number of crop dusters. He could do more things on a complete installed engine than anyone else I knew. But it was always good to know the tricks if I ever was stuck in the boonies. Not that it matters anymore.

31. arnoha

Display Name:

Display name:
    arnoha
    Fortunately for me, it was caught during 100-hour, at the home airport, in the club MX hangar, so there's no need for jury-rigged tricks on this cylinder failure.

32. arnoha

Display Name:

Display name:
    arnoha
    New information today...he did an abbreviated compression test with me there, and you could definitely hear the leak into the crankcase. And I'm mostly deaf. 1 and 2 were in the 10-20/80 range, though we were doing the test cold. The rear two were over 70/80.

He's pulling the jugs and sending them out. Honing and rings are the likely result. It'll be interesting to see what the inside of the jugs look like.

Dean Carrell likes this.
  33. Tom-D

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tom-D
    Dropping a valve into the cylinder then pulling the stem out thru a spark plug hole and cleaning it isn't what I'd call a "Jury Rig". It simply cleans away the hard carbon that will eventually ruin the guide.
    In fact I did one today on a Maule MX-7 /180..or should I say I coached the owner thru the evolution. The compression on the cylinder was 40/80 cold, after the compression was 76/80 cold.
    The owner called me because the A&P wanted to pull the cylinder, and send it out to be re-built.
    Fixing a cylinder in place is always better. These routines have been used for many many years. They work.

Darter 100 and Eric Stoltz like this.
  34. Tom-D

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tom-D
    There isn't anything you can do with bad rings/pistons but pull the cylinder.
    Show us pictures.

35. simtech

simtech En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Simtech
    If I'm not mistaken this is a lycoming service bulletin no?

How long does it typically take to do it? Just reading through the SB on the wobble test seems kind of involved and time consuming needing special tools.

36. Salty

Salty En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Salty
    Why?

37. Tom-D

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tom-D
    cost,

38. Tom-D

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tom-D
    You do need the base plate, and a dial indicator. shouldn't be much over an hour.

39. Tom-D

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tom-D
    This test is to determine the amount of wear in the guide, too much wear and the valve will not set square on the seat and thus leak.

this test can't be true if the valve stem isn't clean.

40. Salty

Salty En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Salty
    At the risk of causing further damage and increasing cost, or having to pull the cylinder anyway meaning paying for the “don’t pull it repair” in addition to the real repair.