Cutest ATC clip of all time

This is the second cutest thing I've hear about on the radio. The first was when a father let his son in the airplane do the radio call and he didn't follow instructions as well as the kid in this clip. Tower became rebel base and the plane was red five. The controler played along without missing a beat.

It's a shame that the higher ups at the FAA have no idea what is truely a saftey risk.
When I heard the clip my first thought was "When did VATSIM get the contract for the real world JFK tower?" :rofl:

I've had far less professional contact with fully trained ATC. No flights were impacted, no safety compromised.

Amen. That was some of the most intelligible ATC communications I have heard in a while.

Rules are meant to be followed!!! You have your orders!!!

(Queue up "Hitler gets angry" video)
OK, Dan -- where would you draw the line on unauthorized personnel doing the talking on ATC radios? Remember, this has to be a rule which can be consistently, objectively, and impartially applied, and does not compromise safety to a degree unacceptable in "common carriage" operations (which require "the highest degree of safety and foresight humanly possible"). Unless you can produce such a rule, your point is pointless.

Major difference there don't you think.
Perhaps so, but where do you draw the line? Remember, the line must be drawn, and it must be one which can be used to make objective, impartial, and consistent enforcement decisions which do not allow compromise of the required level of safety.

Perhaps so, but where do you draw the line? Remember, the line must be drawn, and it must be one which can be used to make objective, impartial, and consistent enforcement decisions which do not allow compromise of the required level of safety.

You use common sense.

The lack of which has resulted in the "no tolerance"/ "no thinking allowed" policies with all their wonderful results.

I certainly understand the need to enforce the rules/laws.

At the same time, I think it's important that they not be enforced inflexibly. There's a difference between doing 80 an empty highway at 5 a.m., and doing it during rush hour in fog.

In other words, I'd hope that whoever is responsible for making the decision on what happens here looks at the details of what occurred, and act appropriately. And there are times when "appropriate" involves telling "concerned citizens" to not fly if they're that concerned.

If this is something that was "dumb, but whoopty-bleeping-doo," I'd expect it to be treated as such. If it's something that was "dumb, and also presented a risk," I'd expect it to be treated as such. But, those considerations require looking at the details, and not acting on impulse.

So, there are appropriate times for firing, and appropriate times for letters of reprimand, and appropriate times to merely say "don't do stupid things," and appropriate times to do nothing.

You use common sense.

The lack of which has resulted in the "no tolerance"/ "no thinking allowed" policies with all their wonderful results.

I agree, but the reason we have "absolutes" rather than "discretion" for those in authority today is because those in authority in the past proved - beyond any doubt - that they couldn't handle the discretion appropriately.

If you're given discretion, you have to use it wisely, judiciously, appropriately, and for the good of everyone. There have been far too many people - be they judges, principals, bosses, CEO's, or even Presidents - that have abused their discretion. And that's why we don't see as much discretionary authority given to people these days.

So, while I don't like dealing in absolutes, and I don't like blanket policies, and I don't like the effects, well...there you have it.

OK, Dan -- where would you draw the line on unauthorized personnel doing the talking on ATC radios? Remember, this has to be a rule which can be consistently, objectively, and impartially applied, and does not compromise safety to a degree unacceptable in "common carriage" operations (which require "the highest degree of safety and foresight humanly possible"). Unless you can produce such a rule, your point is pointless.

"Unauthorized person"??

Seriously?

In the clip I heard, the child spoke the words I would expect to hear from any competent controller, with no degradation of safety to anyone in any quadrant of the universe.

Did the controller who let the kid say "Adios" have permission from his supervisors to have children on the mic?

We don't know -- but the overblown reaction by the FAA and the Union is embarassingly predictable -- "Oh no! Terror in the skies! Without controllers planes will rain down on America!"

Puh-leeze.

FWIW -- I was eight years old when I drove the Fire Truck at EWR, shot the water cannon, and overall had a great time. No one died, IIRC.

I think you can follow a rule objectively but still be subjective in the consequences. Put him in a cab in some Class D airport in Alaska for a month, put a letter in his file, and put him back on the line.

Personally, I blame N.O.W. for their "Bring your daughter to work" days. :D

I certainly understand the need to enforce the rules/laws.

At the same time, I think it's important that they not be enforced inflexibly. There's a difference between doing 80 an empty highway at 5 a.m., and doing it during rush hour in fog.

In other words, I'd hope that whoever is responsible for making the decision on what happens here looks at the details of what occurred, and act appropriately. And there are times when "appropriate" involves telling "concerned citizens" to not fly if they're that concerned.

If this is something that was "dumb, but whoopty-bleeping-doo," I'd expect it to be treated as such. If it's something that was "dumb, and also presented a risk," I'd expect it to be treated as such. But, those considerations require looking at the details, and not acting on impulse.

So, there are appropriate times for firing, and appropriate times for letters of reprimand, and appropriate times to merely say "don't do stupid things," and appropriate times to do nothing.

I agree.

Keep in mind the bigger point in this whole fracas is the need for the Controller Union (or whatever they call it) to remind America that only they keep the skies from holy terror.

Of course Ronald Reagan proved otherwise in 1981, but that's besides the point.

Sounds good, until the shoe is on the other foot. I have had people under me push the "follow the rules or policy" until they were the one on the enforcement end of the rule, then its totally different. If thats the way it should be, then there should be no plea bargaining for criminals. Maximum punishment for all!!!!!!!

I thought the kid did well but my first thoughts were when are the comparisons to the Aeroflot Jet that crashed with the pilots kids at the controls.

As I understand it, neither of the pilots on that flight were in their seats when things went bad thus they had no actual control over the plane.

OTOH, the controller had his kid right there and was in full control of the operating environment. The kid was essentially a glorified tape recorder for something very simple. While it's not the thing to be doing during rush hour at minimums in heavy fog with a lost airplane rolling around who knows where however when things are slow on a clear day, it's not much different than letting your kid handle the controls from the right seat while you're strapped in the left seat in full control of what's happening. It's not like the kid was making actual decisions while the controller was downstairs having lunch.

As for the news wacko's, they're pathetic and love riling people up over nothing. Too bad everyone has to bow down to them and the people who have no grasp or understanding of reality.

As I understand it, neither of the pilots on that flight were in their seats when things went bad thus they had no actual control over the plane.

OTOH, the controller had his kid right there and was in full control of the operating environment. The kid was essentially a glorified tape recorder for something very simple. While it's not the thing to be doing during rush hour at minimums in heavy fog with a lost airplane rolling around who knows where however when things are slow on a clear day, it's not much different than letting your kid handle the controls from the right seat while you're strapped in the left seat in full control of what's happening. It's not like the kid was making actual decisions while the controller was downstairs having lunch.

As for the news wacko's, they're pathetic and love riling people up over nothing. Too bad everyone has to bow down to them and the people who have no grasp or understanding of reality.

Well said, but in this case it's not just the "news wackos" that are overreacting.

The government doesn't want anyone to think, hence the rules that Ron is supporting.

I can't help thinking of when my father used to sit me on his lap when I was 8 years old and let me drive... Nowadays, he'd probably be in jail.

-Rich

I learned to drive when I was 10. Even drove on state highways for short stretches. Oh the horror!!!

No kidding. Leave it to Faux News to find some guy on a bar stool to give them the quote they want...

Trapper John

It wasn't Fox that fired the controller.

I first heard this on CBS radio this morning. So let's not blame any one media outlet.

Oh, and I recall being an anesthetist and assistant surgeon, before graduating from high school. Veterinary surgery, and the surgeon was my dad, but...

I can't help thinking of when my father used to sit me on his lap when I was 8 years old and let me drive... Nowadays, he'd probably be in jail.

Nah, he was a smart person exercising sound judgment. Just like me! Took advantage of the multiple nor'easters this year to teach my 14 year old how to skid / not skid / get out of a skid in the snow, what ABS is all about, and how FWD or 4WD can pull you through a turn when the steering wheel does not cooperate at an intersection. Now the first time doing this is not solo at 17 should we have a couple mild winters.

Yet to see the inside of a cell . . . but the year is young! :D

I wouldn't expect anyone in an official position to come out publicly on the father's side even if they personally don't think it was such a big deal. Lip service to safety and all.

Not too long ago I had a roofer come out to patch some shingles. When he showed up he said he had his son with him but the son wouldn't be on the roof. When he finished he pointed out what he did which included putting seal around some of the pipes which stick up. The son chimed in and said, "I did that!" I could see the horror in the dad's face thinking I would be upset that his kid had been on my roof. I just laughed and said, "Good job!"

I am a pretty free spirited kinda of guy,, but....

If a contractor came out to repair my home, with a kid, and made the statement the little one (won't) be going up on the roof I would have no problem with that at all. When the kid piped up about being up there then it is apparent the contractor lied to you. That is a no no in my book.. Suppose he claimed he was insured, and lied about that too, and the kid fell off and was killed,,, Who do you think will own your home next year ???

Three guesses.... It would be a high probability it will not be you.:mad::mad:

With that said I thought the kid in the tower gave precise instructions, in a timely manner and with great clarity so My vote is for the feds to tone it down a little... Fat chance on that though.:mad2::mad2:

Tailwinds.
Ben.

Nah, he was a smart person exercising sound judgment. Just like me! Took advantage of the multiple nor'easters this year to teach my 14 year old how to skid / not skid / get out of a skid in the snow, what ABS is all about, and how FWD or 4WD can pull you through a turn when the steering wheel does not cooperate at an intersection. Now the first time doing this is not solo at 17 should we have a couple mild winters.

Yet to see the inside of a cell . . . but the year is young! :D

Interestingly, my dad did the exact same thing at the exact same age...also on the Eastern Shore. Good stuff. :yes:

You use common sense.
When it involves labor/management relations (which this does), "common sense" long ago left the building -- all that matters is what's written in the contract and the rules, and what precedent cases have established about their meaning. I remember when Eastern Air Lines was unable to fire the mechanics and inspectors whose negligence allowed a 727 to launch from MIA to San Juan with no safety wire on the chip detectors on all three engines (and the airplane only staggered back to MIA with one engine still running, and it seized on the rollout) because the union dragged out the contract language.

Last edited:
Important parts to note:

Important instructions were given by the controller.
"Over to departure" was issued by the kid. If you listen, that's really the only instruction that was given by the kid. This is disgusting, and gives me yet another reason to hate the FAA.

WTBFD?

Keep in mind the bigger point in this whole fracas is the need for the Controller Union (or whatever they call it) to remind America that only they keep the skies from holy terror.

Of course Ronald Reagan proved otherwise in 1981, but that's besides the point.

If you were around for the aftermath of that brilliant move, you might remember neato things like ground stops and the GAR system - which would hardly fall into the category of "Keeping America Great"...

Trapper John

"Unauthorized person"??

Seriously?
Yup.
In the clip I heard, the child spoke the words I would expect to hear from any competent controller, with no degradation of safety to anyone in any quadrant of the universe.

Did the controller who let the kid say "Adios" have permission from his supervisors to have children on the mic?

We don't know -- but the overblown reaction by the FAA and the Union is embarassingly predictable -- "Oh no! Terror in the skies! Without controllers planes will rain down on America!"

Puh-leeze.
Doesn't answer the question -- where do you draw the line? Unless you can answer that question, the rest is irrelevant.
FWIW -- I was eight years old when I drove the Fire Truck at EWR, shot the water cannon, and overall had a great time. No one died, IIRC.
Were trying to put out the flames on an occupied airplane at the time?

Yup.
Doesn't answer the question -- where do you draw the line? Unless you can answer that question, the rest is irrelevant.
Were trying to put out the flames on an occupied airplane at the time?

Easy -- is safety compromised?

Clearly in this case it was not. End of story.

I would, to use a term that the FAA and you yourself use quite frequently, apply the duck test. In this case, since the controller was issuing the important commands and letting his son repeat one phrase over and over, I don't think I heard a quack.

Sounds good, until the shoe is on the other foot. I have had people under me push the "follow the rules or policy" until they were the one on the enforcement end of the rule, then its totally different.
Sauce for the goose, sauce for the gander. If either side can't live with the rule, change the rule so both sides can.
If thats the way it should be, then there should be no plea bargaining for criminals. Maximum punishment for all!!!!!!!
Didn't say the punishment must be the same for each offense, but the line must be drawn, and appropriate action that should be sufficient to deter repetition by the offender or others must be taken when that line is crossed. Failure to establish such a system ends only in chaos.

Last edited:
Oh, and I recall being an anesthetist and assistant surgeon, before graduating from high school. Veterinary surgery, and the surgeon was my dad, but...
Neither you nor your dad would have liked what would have happened if it was my dog on whom you were operating and I found out about it, even if nothing went wrong.

Easy -- is safety compromised?
Sorry, not an objective standard. By analogy, the fact that you are Michael Schumacher driving a Ferrari FXX doesn't excuse you from the 200/55 traffic ticket, even if there were no other cars visible on the highway. It must be a rule whose violation can be determined on the basis of objective facts, and "is safety compromised?" is not such a question with a quantifiable answer.

I would, to use a term that the FAA and you yourself use quite frequently, apply the duck test. In this case, since the controller was issuing the important commands and letting his son repeat one phrase over and over, I don't think I heard a quack.
So how would you phrase the rule to allow this while ensuring safety was not compromised, but still ensuring the rule could still be applied objectively under the labor contract's terms?

So how would you phrase the rule to allow this while ensuring safety was not compromised, but still ensuring the rule could still be applied objectively under the labor contract's terms?

The same way the FAA applies the "Holding out" rule. Does it seem like the controller was being cautious and only allowing non-deathbringing clearances to be read by the son, or does it seem like the controller was letting his son give "Traffic Alert, 1 mile, etc. etc.) to pilots?

Major difference there don't you think..

Yeah I didn't say there wasn't I was just saying I was waiting for the comparison.

Now if you beleive the kid actually made the decsion to clear a flight for take off versus making the call for the controller then I see a problem.

With this I don't.

No way in hell do I think this kid was controlling ground traffic. I suspect he was just standing in front of his dad reciting what dad just told him to say. BUT is there anyone who really thought that this wasn't going to blow up in his face?

The same way the FAA applies the "Holding out" rule. Does it seem like the controller was being cautious and only allowing non-deathbringing clearances to be read by the son, or does it seem like the controller was letting his son give "Traffic Alert, 1 mile, etc. etc.) to pilots?
You still haven't given me a way to phrase the rule which establishes when it's OK to let an unauthorized person talk and when it isn't. The "Holding Out" rules are written in legal terms defining what is and is not permitted, and the only question is whether the specific conduct violates the rule. Here, the rule is clear -- nobody talks other than authorized personnel. How would you rewrite that rule to relax it while providing objective standards as to when unauthorized personnel are allowed to do the talking?

You don't need a rule to address the situation.

Your're stressing the menatality of my favorite Germans, go back and review "those magnificnet men in their flying machines". They lived by THE BOOK.

If the rule that was broken states that no unathourized persons will be allowed in the ATC center or allowed to communicate on the radio at any time then we should hang the dad by his thumbnails for jeopardizing the 100's of lives of the poor unsuspecting souls on the airplances that the kid was allowed to speak the commands too.

Otherwise we should grin and enjoy the fact that one kid somewhere was given a once in a lifetime experience that he can go to school and boast about at show-n-tell tomorrow.

Life needs to be lived not regimented.

Sorry, not an objective standard. By analogy, the fact that you are Michael Schumacher driving a Ferrari FXX doesn't excuse you from the 200/55 traffic ticket, even if there were no other cars visible on the highway. It must be a rule whose violation can be determined on the basis of objective facts, and "is safety compromised?" is not such a question with a quantifiable answer.

I don't think the analogy fits.

If you ever let discovery flight prospect use the radio, you're just as "guilty" as this controller.

You don't need a rule to address the situation.
That statement ignores a few thousand years of jurisprudential experience. In order to maintain order, rules are required. Absent rules, you have only chaos and anarchy, and those are not conducive to aviation safety.

When it involves labor/management relations (which this does), "common sense" long ago left the building -- all that matters is what's written in the contract and the rules, and what precedent cases have established about their meaning. I remember when Eastern Air Lines was unable to fire the mechanics and inspectors whose negligence allowed a 727 to launch from MIA to San Juan with no safety wire on the chip detectors on all three engines (and the airplane only staggered back to MIA with one engine still running, and it seized on the rollout) because the union dragged out the contract language.

I lived in Miami back when that happened.. In fact several of my friends and I saw that aircraft lumber back to MIA, making a beeline straight down 36 street to get it on the ground. All the while it was spitting ALOT of sparks out of the engines the whole way... If I remember correctly those mechanics were drug tested and FAILED the THC part... The union fought for their jobs like no tomorrow. And they stayed employed at Eastern till it folded. Frank Borman was not a happy camper either ..From that day on I learned to hate unions, and I still do... The usefullness of unions has long since passed.

That statement ignores a few thousand years of jurisprudential experience. In order to maintain order, rules are required. Absent rules, you have only chaos and anarchy, and those are not conducive to aviation safety.

Hang on there, pard...

I've been married 28 years. I can count on one hand the "rules."

We get along quite nicely.

Rules increase as distance between humans increases. "Rules" are not axiomatic.

I don't think the analogy fits.
You're entitled to your opinion, but your statement seemed to be that if the specific event in the specific circumstances did not actually compromise safety, then it would not be punished. I took issue with that, and I think my analogy is appropriate to that issue.
If you ever let discovery flight prospect use the radio, you're just as "guilty" as this controller.
If you think that, you don't know the rules applicable to the various situations, and I don't think that's true. As you know, letting anyone other than authorized crew talk on the radio is in fact a violation of the rules under many parts of the FAR's. While it's permissible on plain vanilla Part 91 ops, it's not for commercial operators. The FAA sets higher standards when paying passengers are involved, and at JFK, paying passengers are always involved. Further, tower controllers never know for sure what part the flight is operating under, so they must provide the same maximum level of safe handling to all.

In any event, if you think this was OK, then how would you rewrite the rules governing controllers to allow it while preventing other, more serious compromises of safety.

Last edited:
Back