Cutest ATC clip of all time

Definitely leaves a smile on your face. Glad everyone involved had a good time with it :)

Now. If we could only get that degree of competence and maturity in the FAA, DHS, et al.

Awesome. Not sure who had more fun or will remember it longer with a smile on their face--the kid or the pilots. :)

Two favorite parts: the pilot who wished he could bring his kid to work, and "adios amigo".

That's great.

I've love to have seen the next day at school when the kids were describing what they did on their day off.

That's excellent. I'm absolutely astounded they were allowed to do that!

I can't believe the controller has been fired. The pilots sounded like they enjoyed the interaction. The kid was obviously just mimicking what his dad told him to say. I presume that the dad had a headset on and could have jumped in at any time.

Sheesh.

Wells

Holy over reaction Batman!

Jim Baker, a retired chief pilot at Delta airlines with forty years of experience, says lives hang on every transmission and this raises safety concerns.

"I have never ever heard a small kid in the tower giving instructions for an airplane to take off or cross a runway or any kind of instructions" says Baker.
What a drama queen!

What a bunch of jackasses...:mad3:

"lives hang on every transmission"...I'm surprised I'm still alive then, cause I've flubbed enough calls, that kid sounded better than I do on the radio.

Doesn't the FAA have enough to do without busting the chops of a guy just trying to be a good parent? It sounded fine and quite professional to me and it's not like he was ALONE in the tower. I've had far less professional contact with fully trained ATC. No flights were impacted, no safety compromised.
Give it a rest!
I would blame the media for making a story out of this.

It's all part of the assimilation of once proud professions into our new automatronic society, prior to the removal of the inefficient human element.

Resistance is futile.

The union seems to have thrown the controller under the bus, as well:

The union that represents air traffic controllers said: "We do not condone this type of behavior in any way, and it is not indicative of the highest professional standards that controllers set for themselves and exceed each and every day in the advancement of aviation safety."

Bummer.

For what it's worth, I thought the kid was more easily understood than the average NYC-area controller, most of whom I think moonlight as auctioneers. And I'm a native New Yorker, mind you.

-Rich

Yeah, what a cool story and what an overreaction by the FAA. Like John said, no flights were impacted, no safety was compromised. No harm was done - find something more worthy of our tax dollars to investigate.

Controllers let me record the ATIS a couple of times at LZU. Glad no one got in trouble for that!

Last edited:
It was the lead story on the Today Show this morning. Meredith even tried to say that it was obvious that the kid was just parroting words, but that didn't stop them from acting like this put hundreds of lives at risk. YGTBSM

There is nothing in any article I have read to indicate that the controller was fired. Where are you hearing that he was?

Not yet, but this sort of language from HQ tends to limit career advancement:

"Pending the outcome of our investigation, the employees involved in this incident are not controlling air traffic, the FAA said in a statement. "This behavior is not acceptable and does not demonstrate the kind of professionalism expected from all FAA employees."

I hope someone from our side of the fence responds soon. Even Fox is decrying "passenger safety was at risk". Looks like the father may suffer because he was engaged with his son. Probably the wrong way to go about it....but still too bad. I just looked outdoors...and the sky has not fallen...yet.

I hope someone from our side of the fence responds soon. Even Fox is decrying "passenger safety was at risk". Looks like the father may suffer because he was engaged with his son. Probably the wrong way to go about it....but still too bad. I just looked outdoors...and the sky has not fallen...yet.
I wouldn't expect anyone in an official position to come out publicly on the father's side even if they personally don't think it was such a big deal. Lip service to safety and all.

Not too long ago I had a roofer come out to patch some shingles. When he showed up he said he had his son with him but the son wouldn't be on the roof. When he finished he pointed out what he did which included putting seal around some of the pipes which stick up. The son chimed in and said, "I did that!" I could see the horror in the dad's face thinking I would be upset that his kid had been on my roof. I just laughed and said, "Good job!"

I can't believe the controller is in trouble for that. What a great clip.

Next thing you know they will be getting after us for letting our kids or grand kids answer the radio.

This is the second cutest thing I've hear about on the radio. The first was when a father let his son in the airplane do the radio call and he didn't follow instructions as well as the kid in this clip. Tower became rebel base and the plane was red five. The controler played along without missing a beat.

It's a shame that the higher ups at the FAA have no idea what is truely a saftey risk.

Last edited:
I wouldn't expect anyone in an official position to come out publicly on the father's side even if they personally don't think it was such a big deal. Lip service to safety and all.

Not too long ago I had a roofer come out to patch some shingles. When he showed up he said he had his son with him but the son wouldn't be on the roof. When he finished he pointed out what he did which included putting seal around some of the pipes which stick up. The son chimed in and said, "I did that!" I could see the horror in the dad's face thinking I would be upset that his kid had been on my roof. I just laughed and said, "Good job!"

I had one of my goddaughters (aged 9) staying with me for the summer, and she often went on field calls with me. After a few calls, she picked up the more routine things I did on PC tune-ups (the second most common work I do in the field these days after malware removal), so I started letting her do them under supervision, especially on jobs where I was working on multiple PCs.

After a while, she even started recognizing malware symptoms other problems and picked up some of the lingo. She'd call across the room and say things like, "Padrino, I think this one is rootkitted. Something keeps stealing the focus," or "Padrino, the MFT is way fragged on this one. Should I run Paragon?"

I also taught her how to crimp Ethernet and install jacks, which came in handy because she could squeeze into tight places more easily.

By the end of the summer she was pretty darned competent at it -- and extremely proud of herself, as well.

The clients, for the most part, just stood around looking sheepish. Here was this little kid who knew how to do things that were mystifying to them. I was often tempted to charge them for her time.

-Rich

Safety rules prohibit this. The controller broke those safety rules. The controller is facing consequences. Why is that a problem? Remember that if you don't enforce a rule, it becomes unenforceable, and the next case might be more egregious.

Safety rules prohibit this. The controller broke those safety rules. The controller is facing consequences. Why is that a problem? Remember that if you don't enforce a rule, it becomes unenforceable, and the next case might be more egregious.

Rules are meant to be followed!!! You have your orders!!!

(Queue up "Hitler gets angry" video)

I can't believe the controller is in trouble for that. What a great clip.

Really? Wow I can. I was just waiting for the hammer to drop. I really felt that once it got out it was a foregone conclusion that the Controller would get spanked.

I thought the kid did well but my first thoughts were when are the comparisons to the Aeroflot Jet that crashed with the pilots kids at the controls.

I thought the kid did well but my first thoughts were when are the comparisons to the Aeroflot Jet that crashed with the pilots kids at the controls.

Major difference there don't you think.

Now if you beleive the kid actually made the decsion to clear a flight for take off versus making the call for the controller then I see a problem.

With this I don't.

I have to chime in here with my opinion that it was an over-reaction to a very innocent interaction in a controlled manner.
What a shame to have fired the controllers involved.
I guess the lesson learned by the child was that daddy doesn't really have the best
job in the world and to pick a different career.

Back