Cutest ATC clip of all time

Yeah, I was trying to figure out how you equated one kid in the tower to 25 kids in a class room. Your fail count is becoming asymptotic. You may want to just leave the thread

"Fail" and "asymptotic" in the same sentence?

"Good figuring, math major."

Trapper John

srsly-40515.jpg

With all of this "banter" back and forth, no one has indicated whether the controller in question got supervisor's permission to do what he did.

I think we're all acting under the assumption that there was some kind of permission from the supervisor (not that I really find it be particularly culpable) - my understanding is that both the controller and the supervisor involved are on admin. leave, so I took that to mean that the supervisor was in on it. It could just be that the supervisor was suspended because he should have known better, but I feel it's more likely that the controller asked the supervisor, and the supervisor OK'd the deal.

And as far as taking children to work not being professional, that is simply not true at all.
Nor has anybody made that argument, as far as I've noticed. But I have certainly suggested that there's a difference between "bring your kid to work" and "bring your kid to work to do your job". A football player might have his kid come down to stand on the sidelines for the last few minutes of the Super Bowl. No problem. Bring him on the field for a few plays? That's where we get into that "crossing the line" thing.
Once a person is admitted and allowed by the supervisor, they are "authorized."
And when the supervisor is suspended, that tells you what _his_ supervisor thinks of that decision.
-harry

Nor has anybody made that argument, as far as I've noticed. But I have certainly suggested that there's a difference between "bring your kid to work" and "bring your kid to work to do your job". A football player might have his kid come down to stand on the sidelines for the last few minutes of the Super Bowl. No problem. Bring him on the field for a few plays? That's where we get into that "crossing the line" thing.
You did say things to the effect of a professional should not have to also be a caretaker of his child while at work. That would happen whether the child was simply "at work" or if the professional is directing the child.
As I said before, I have taken my daughters to my work with me, and I have supervised their performance of small parts of my work. Not unprofessional at all. I certainly would not allow them to make any decisions themselves, nor do any of the work without my direct supervision, and that is what appears to be happening in this clip.
And when the supervisor is suspended, that tells you what _his_ supervisor thinks of that decision.
-harry
This is, perhaps, true. And, no doubt, there was a difference of opinion as to the interpretation of the affected regulations by each person going on up the line. The point is he would have thought he had permission to have his child there, being that his supervisor OK'd it. He thought it was a reasonable idea, his supervisor thought it was reasonable, no safety was compromised, and his work still got done. There should not even be discussion of this. If someone had a problem with it, it should have gone through the chain of command and ended in a discussion and clarification of the rules to everyone in a departmental memo, not a lynch mob.

You did say things to the effect of a professional should not have to also be a caretaker of his child while at work. That would happen whether the child was simply "at work" or if the professional is directing the child.
A software engineer who takes his kid to work might find that he was so busy with the kid that at the end of the day he declares "geez, I barely got any work done today, I was so busy with Junior".

But that doesn't really work with a tower controller, he can't say "geez, I barely got any planes landed today, I was so busy with Junior".

Some jobs are more resilient to distraction than others.
The point is he would have thought he had permission to have his child there, being that his supervisor OK'd it.
It can certainly seem "unfair", but sometimes you can get in trouble for doing something that your boss approved, when his boss says "you both should have known better".
-harry

Listening to all this, it's certainly unprofessional to being your child to work. You're a necktie wearing white collar who should know better. Keep your little rugrats out of the "professional" environment. We're workin' here!

I don't like the "take your child to work" days but I applaud this guy for showing off the job he does to his family. I think it shows he's proud of what he does, and proud of his children to share them with his peers. He should be given the father of the year award instead of being pillared by people who should know better. Get a life. The guy's just trying to be a Dad.

Many companies support organized "take your..." to work. Frankly, I feel discriminated against. I have two dogs that would love to know where I spend 13 hours a day!

In my experience, children are a significantly greater distraction than coffee. Perhaps your experience differs.

I would guess that most Kindergarten teachers would agree that managing a room filled with 25 mugs of coffee would require significantly less effort on her part than her usual pupils.
-harry

Now that's the funniest thing I've read in a long time!

-Rich

-harry

It tells you what "_his_ supervisor" was told.

Politics
Politics
Politics
Politics
Politics

It tells you what "_his_ supervisor" was told.

Politics
Politics
Politics
Politics
Politics
Sometimes we do something dumb, and there's political pressure to do something about it. We can call the pressure "politics", but it was politics brought on by the dumb thing we did.
-harry

According to a news report I heard yesterday, pilots are quietly voicing their support for the controllers by signing off with "Adios, amigo" instead of the usual "Good day".

My! The horror! They are breaking the rules!!! :mad3:

Is "Adios, Amigos" in the AIM? I think NOT! :mad3:

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Don't say things like that even as a joke in today's busybody world. If you do, the next set of aviation rules to keep things infinitely professional and double infinitely safe will be a whole section in the FAR's about which specific words are allowed to be used on aviation frequencies and in which order under what precise circumstances. One violation, even in pronounciation or breathing pattern while talking, and you'll be the next guest of honor at the next FAA headquarters barbecue.

Witch hunts are stupid.

Probably the best reaction to this episode is this week's "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me!" on NPR. The closing segment is "Who will be the next person to bring their child to work?"

Chief Justice Roberts:
History's first dissenting argument that reads "na-uhhhh"

Doug Berman (producer of WWDTM and Car Talk):
Car Baby Talk and Wait, Wait, Don't Change Me"

NY Gov. Paterson:
Even a small child hopped up on sour drops can do a better job

I'd like to see Geico come out with a commercial that says "So easy a child could do it!"

It could end with one of the cave-man guys saying "Adios!"

I'd like to see Geico come out with a commercial that says "So easy a child could do it!"

It could end with one of the cave-man guys saying "Adios!"

:rofl:

That would be funny!

Trouble ?

Beats being 15 minutes from the Airport with only 10 minutes of fuel.

Back