Cut off another airplane for departure

BigBadLou

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Lou
To clarify right at the start, this is not a safety issue, nobody was harmed, no close call, no danger.

I was getting ready to depart one of the local towered airports and ground provided taxi instructions and said "do you see the Bonanza about 200 yards down taxiway Alpha? Yield to them and follow them to rwy 18". I acknowledged the instruction but then politely asked "ground, we are ready for immediate departure, could we squeeze in before the Bo?" and got an affirmative and quickly pulled out and booked it for rwy 18 (about 50 yds away).
Called up tower "holding short 18, ready for departure" and saw the Bo arrive behind me. We got "hold short, landing traffic". I noticed the Bo was simply sitting on the taxiway behind me, he didn't turn into the runup area. Which is what I expected him to do and why I thought I'd squeeze in because I didn't need a run-up (just landed 10 minutes ago).

Finally got cleared for takeoff and, read back "rwy heading, cleared for takeoff 18, sorry about that, Bonanza". Got two clicks.

By the time we climbed up to TPA, the Bo was already on downwind (fast little bugger) so it was not a big problem but I still felt bad for making an assumption. I didn't delay the Bo more than maybe 2 minutes. Again, I still feel a little bad.

If you were the Bo driver at KGTU about a week ago, my apologies and thanks for being a good sport.

Now tell me, everybody, that I need to file a NASA report asap, surrender my certificate and never fly again because I am such a menace to all pilots out there. :goofy: :nono: :rofl:

Weather is clearing up, let's go fly!!

Bone-headed moves happen.

If you thought the Bo would pull into the runup area, couldn't you have just waited to see and gone by it straight to the hold-short if it did?

Little good ever comes from being impatient in an airplane. I'd bet rather take the time to wait than make the time to hurry. Hopefully the Bonanza guy feels the same way.

If you thought the Bo would pull into the runup area, couldn't you have just waited to see and gone by it straight to the hold-short if it did?

"Ground, is the Bo ready to go or does he need a runup?"

I don't see a problem. A couple times I've asked to sqeeze out before a comercial plane so I don't have to wait for wake turbulence and I always say thanks to the tower and to the commercial plane wheni depart.

I could have waited, sure. He was still ways down the taxiway, taxiing uphill.

Little good ever comes from being impatient in an airplane. I'd bet rather take the time to wait than make the time to hurry. Hopefully the Bonanza guy feels the same way.
I did not feel impatient, I think. I just asked for the sake of efficiency. No reason for me to have to wait to taxi after him if he's going to the run-up pad. I expected to be airborne before he got to the run-up area.

"Ground, is the Bo ready to go or does he need a runup?"
Sure, I could have asked. I just didn't want to tie up the frequency and instead made an assumption.

No worries, I won't be an azz next time. I just thought I'd self-punish here to stop feeling bad. Thanks for not letting me do that! :lol:
And don't forget to assure me that I need a 709 ride and that a man from the nearest FSDO will be stopping by tonight. :D

If you were the Bo driver at KGTU about a week ago, my apologies and thanks for being a good sport.

Now tell me, everybody, that I need to file a NASA report asap, surrender my certificate and never fly again because I am such a menace to all pilots out there. :goofy: :nono: :rofl:

Could be worse.

I stopped for fuel in LlanoTX on way to Austin to visit my son. Had a Piper running up blocking the taxi-way while I was fueling - this is the only exit from the ramp to the paved runway there. I went to the restroom and returned and he was till there. I fired up figuring he HAS to be about finished now ... he sits another 5 minutes and is unresponsive on CTAF (this is nearly 30 minutes after I started fueling and watched him there). I sit there behind him long enough that not only have I already completed a full run-up, but I have now had the time to foul my plugs and stall out. I re-start and clear the plugs, upon looking up, he is now gone. I taxi-out for departure, announce departure and immediately get a "didn't you hear me" transmission. I'm still in front of the hold short lines and check final both directions (no traffic) as well as the downwind. I re-check and the "aggitated" pilot says to go ahead and depart. I launch and see "slo-poke" still taxiing to the opposite runway (he isn't even ready to go - but wants me to wait again!):mad2::mad2::mad2::rofl: And he's taking off with an 11 knot tailwind:(

...I didn't delay the Bo more than maybe 2 minutes...

I don't think you delayed him at all, it was the landing traffic that would have been there even if he'd been ahead of you.

No worries, I won't be an azz next time. I just thought I'd self-punish here to stop feeling bad. Thanks for not letting me do that! :lol:
And don't forget to assure me that I need a 709 ride and that a man from the nearest FSDO will be stopping by tonight. :D

I dont think you were an azz and I dont think your assumption was unreasonable. If I were the Bo and heard your call I would have felt it was fair. Afterall, they were gonna make you wait for the Bo. If he was upset by you I think he's wound too tight, but it was nice of you to acknowledge him, shows a good attitude even if you didn't do anything wrong IMO.

I fired up figuring he HAS to be about finished now ... he sits another 5 minutes and is unresponsive on CTAF (this is nearly 30 minutes after I started fueling and watched him there).

Sounds like an owner-flown plane that only flies a once or twice a year. He's probably spending all those minutes trying to warm up the oil because he's only going to do 3 T&G's before shutting down again.

What did you do wrong? You asked ground for a request and they agreed?

I dont think you were an azz and I dont think your assumption was unreasonable. If I were the Bo and heard your call I would have felt it was fair. Afterall, they were gonna make you wait for the Bo. If he was upset by you I think he's wound too tight, but it was nice of you to acknowledge him, shows a good attitude even if you didn't do anything wrong IMO.

I don't think you delayed him at all, it was the landing traffic that would have been there even if he'd been ahead of you.

Now hold on just a minute! Y'all were actually nice to me. Hmm. This IS the PoA, no? Something smells fishy. :lol:
J/K Thank you for the kind words. I thought I made a reasonably safe assumption but I happened to be slightly wrong. Maybe he did his runup at the hangar, maybe he was doing full-stop landings, not sure.
Like I said in the beginning, no bent metal, no real problem. I just felt like an azz. But glad that the Bo pilot was nice about it. I waved at him but couldn't actually tell whether he waved back. Afterall, we're all in it together, it's great to be a pilot and this should not put a dent in anybody's day.

Now go fly, goshdarnit! :)

Ok. Let me break it down for you and list the mistakes you made in the described event.
1. nothing
2. nada
3. zip

Sheesh, what does a guy have to do to get yelled at here?!?

Or are we still waiting on the usual suspects? :D

Well if makes you feel better, "Holy ****! You're a ****ing *******! You could have killed an entire schoolyard full of children!" Better?.:rolleyes::rofl:

Well if makes you feel better, "Holy ****! You're a ****ing *******! You could have killed an entire schoolyard full of children!" Better?.:rolleyes::rofl:

worthy.gif
worthy.gif
worthy.gif

Thank you, sir, may I have another? :D

I would have asked you to take a picture as I passed you since you took off first...

Back