Customer got hit by a prop today.

Get it thru your head, I was not supervising, you can not supervise an inspection.
Alright, you were performing an inspection with an inexperienced individual present. You have to see that there could have been actions taken to prevent his injury, and a possibly law suit, right? Just learn from it, I have.

For someone who said he was done with this thread Tom keeps coming back for more. Keeping your post count up Tom?

If this had happened at a company with a safety program it would have generated a incident report. For one thing, untrained people shouldn't be working that close to a prop while doing a compression check. Even if this was being done by two trained mechanics, there is the problem of one person showing the other person a reading through the propeller arc. It's not unreasonable to think that the person trying to see the reading might lean closer for better visibility and touch the prop at the same time. If there wasn't already a procedure for doing compression checks, one would be put in place. The employee would not face any sanction unless they had willfully violated a procedure already in place, or unless they kept arguing that it was not their fault. ;)

But Tom is a one-man show, so this does not apply.

For one thing, untrained people shouldn't be working that close to a prop while doing a compression check.
That is the misconception,, he was trained and capable of doing the test himself. This was an annual inspection = I just do it.
But quick as a wink, he grabs the prop. Wasn't much I could have done to block him from doing that.

That is the misconception,, he was trained and capable of doing the test himself. This was an annual inspection = I just do it.
But quick as a wink, he grabs the prop. Wasn't much I could have done to block him from doing that.
But you showed him the gauge through the propeller arc. Not trying to assign blame here, but that seems to be the root of the problem. Trained or untrained, there is the instinctive urge to get closer for a look.

But you showed him the gauge through the propeller arc. Not trying to assign blame here, but that seems to be the root of the problem. Trained or untrained, there is the instinctive urge to get closer for a look.
A closer look was not his intentions. he saw the other three cylinders OK from that vantage point.

Kind of like a certain banned member posting after he belly flopped his 310 because he couldn't sell it. He wanted a thread containing him addmiting his honest "mistake" incase anyone needed an example of him being truthfull.... like it really carries any weight....
"addmiting" talk about LMFAO!

A closer look was not his intentions. he saw the other three cylinders OK from that vantage point.
That contradicts what you wrote in your original post.

I was completing the compression test on #4 cylinder on the 0-200, I had the cylinder at TDC with 80 PSI on the tester gauge and it was showing 74/80. I ws standing on the left side of the engine the owner was in front of the prop, I held the tester up so the owner could read the numbers, he leaned in to better see the gauge and pushed the blade down,bring the piston off TDC and WACK. it happened so fast I didn't have time to do any thing by ask " Are you all right, did it hit you" he responded Yes, while taking off his hat, blood was already running down his neck.

No matter whose fault it was, they customer almost came from together.
I'd put one of those signs on the wall like they do at firestone that say the customers need not be in there.
Or enter at their own risk.

I don't know which is funnier, Tom's obstinate stance or everyone repeatedly espousing the well established tenements of a safety culture.

giphy.gif

That contradicts what you wrote in your original post.
that was what I believed at the time. but it was only partly true. since then, he has stated he was intending to pump the prop up and down to see if the reading would change, and it got away from him.

But tell me how to stop folks from doing stuff quickly with out your knowing what they were going to do?

When I posted this I was hoping some one would have a method.

Or people just dropping in to be critical of everyone else...

It's one thing to be critical for the sake of being critical. What most of us are trying to do is instill a sense of safety culture.

We're not blindly saying "thus unto Tom, ye have f'd up" with no more.

We've given sound, well established practices that can prevent things like this from happening. They aren't hogwash just thrown out for fun. They're proven best practices that come from years and years of learning though industrial accidents and investigations.

Like I said in an earlier post, was the guy stupid by touching a prop he knew he shouldn't touch? Yes. Doesn't mean it couldn't have been prevented

Hopefully there are at least some people who have learned a thing or two from this thread...

Hopefully there are at least some people who have learned a thing or two from this thread...

Yep, I have. Never post anything on PoA that could be taken to sound like I made a mistake, or am in any way a typical less-than-perfect human. My feeling for lawyers have been proven correct, many of them argue for the sake of arguing, and convict passerby without hearing the evidence based on a quick survey of secondhand reports. Typical scumbags . . . . whether "actual" lawyers or the even more abundant sea lawyers; they all sit on a high horse and need to be knocked off and beat with a 2x4 until they come to their senses.

that was what I believed at the time. but it was only partly true. since then, he has stated he was intending to pump the prop up and down to see if the reading would change, and it got away from him.

But tell me how to stop folks from doing stuff quickly with out your knowing what they were going to do?

When I posted this I was hoping some one would have a method.
Yeah, whenever I do a compression check I encourage observers to grab the prop and rock it back and forth to see if they can get a higher reading without telling me. It makes for more exciting annuals as its boring unless blood (not my own) is shed. I'm really learning a lot about controlling dangerous procedures. Thanks Tom.

Yep, I have. Never post anything on PoA that could be taken to sound like I made a mistake, or am in any way a typical less-than-perfect human. My feeling for lawyers have been proven correct, many of them argue for the sake of arguing, and convict passerby without hearing the evidence based on a quick survey of secondhand reports. Typical scumbags . . . . whether "actual" lawyers or the even more abundant sea lawyers; they all sit on a high horse and need to be knocked off and beat with a 2x4 until they come to their senses.
Yep Exactly. Every body is an expert here, and will fix blame to any one they can misread. and when you show them they are wrong, simply makes matters worse.

Yeah, whenever I do a compression check I encourage observers to grab the prop and rock it back and forth to see if they can get a higher reading without telling me. It makes for more exciting annuals as its boring unless blood (not my own) is shed. I'm really learning a lot about controlling dangerous procedures. Thanks Tom.
I miss understood you, you can learn. and not be bias as usual.

when you show them they are wrong, simply makes matters worse.

LOL delusional much? You've shown nothing of the sort. All we've seen is denial to 10th degree.

There's a song you should listen to by an artist named "Shaggy" called "Wasn't me". Aside from the obvious differences between you two, your point of views are identical.

. . . says the sea lawyer for the umpteenth time . . . Some people just can't stop proving their own superiority . . .

Tom if I were you I'd edit your first post to accurately reflect what happened that he was deliberately grabbing the prop not accidentally. That changes things a lot.

Methinks you are more opinionated than those you criticize for stating their opinions. Let me know when you're ready for your beating with a stout length of dimensional lumber. ;)

Tom if I were you I'd edit your first post to accurately reflect what happened that he was deliberately grabbing the prop not accidentally. That changes things a lot.
And he did it so quickly I could not react in time to have prevented this. To say I caused this by holding the gauges in a certain way, doesn't consider he did not do this on the other 3 cylinders. I could have prevented this had he told me what he was about to do. But when he diverted from the norm unexpectedly ?

Tom....I always hold the prop in one hand and the gauge in the other. It will never move....cause I'm securing it. If I have a helper....they use their ears to locate the noise while I'm securing the prop.

The prop leaves my hands....when pressure is released.:stirpot:

Back