Covid and vaccines

A

Anon

How does the FAA view having covid multiple times and the vaccines twice? For the initial AME medical exam.

How does the FAA view having covid multiple times and the vaccines twice? For the initial AME medical exam.
Depends on how it went with the Covid.

I had Covid Pneumonia which I reported and discussed with my AME during my exam. The Doc asked if I required Hospitalization which was obviously a "No" as I had not listed being hospitalized for it. And he asked if I had any ongoing symptoms to which I also replied No.

So, I guess I had the Covid worse than some and better than others. My impression was that people that had Covid worse than I did may have follow-up questions.

I do not recall any questions from the AME regarding any vaccines.

Vaccines are a non-issue on a medical, I don't think you even need to report them.

I'm not sure if a positive COVID test needs to be reported or not but if you were hospitalized or visited a doctor for it that would definitely need to be reported. If you don't have any ongoing issues I wouldn't think it would be a problem. If it was considering the number of people who had it over the past 2 years there would be quite a mess by now.

They require you to ground yourself for 48 hours after vaccine.

They want to know if you have long covid and what the symptoms are. The FAA defers those “experiencing ongoing residual signs and/or symptoms of confirmed COVID-19, which may include but are not limited to cardiovascular dysfunction, respiratory abnormalities, kidney injury, neurological dysfunction, psychiatric conditions (e.g., depression, anxiety, moodiness), or symptoms such as fatigue, shortness of breath, cough, arthralgia, or chest pain.”

Otherwise, you're good.

As you go through MedXpress read each question very carefully and answer them all very honestly and your question should answer itself. As a general policy, it's best not to report anything that isn't specifically required or asked for by the agency.

Mine most certainly did. To quote him: “Are you vaccinated? The FAA wants to know.”
My AME did not ask about any Vaccines. Neither if I was vaccinated against Covid nor if my Rabies vaccines were up to date.
The subject of Covid certainly came up as I had multiple Doctor visits due to Covid and the subsequent Pnemonia including two xrays - one to diagnose and one as follow up to ensure my lungs were clear. No hospitalization for Covid nor any lingering Covid symptoms.
I walked out with Class 1 in hand.

The only thing I can think of is if you're suffering long COVID, as some of those symptoms could preclude the safe operation of an aircraft. That said, I doubt long COVID is on the FAA's radar.

The only thing I can think of is if you're suffering long COVID, as some of those symptoms could preclude the safe operation of an aircraft. That said, I doubt long COVID is on the FAA's radar.

If you're suffering enough to seek medical attention you are required to report it. I don't see anything that mandates reporting of a positive COVID test, and there are thousands of people who fit into that category.

My AME did not ask about any Vaccines. Neither if I was vaccinated against Covid nor if my Rabies vaccines were up to date.
The subject of Covid certainly came up as I had multiple Doctor visits due to Covid and the subsequent Pnemonia including two xrays - one to diagnose and one as follow up to ensure my lungs were clear. No hospitalization for Covid nor any lingering Covid symptoms.
I walked out with Class 1 in hand.
My AME has also never asked me about any vaccines. I don't know about COVID since I am not aware of having it.

Effectively, if you weren’t hospitalized nor have ongoing issues related to COVID then it is no big deal. But if you were hospitalized or have persistent symptoms then it will be an issue.

Covid myocarditis.

From CDC:
After adjusting for patient and hospital characteristics, patients with COVID-19 during March 2020–January 2021 had, on average, 15.7 times the risk for myocarditis compared with those without COVID-19 (95% confidence interval [CI] = 14.1–17.2); by age, risk ratios ranged from approximately 7.0 for patients aged 16–39 years to >30.0 for patients aged <16 years or ≥75 years. Overall, myocarditis was uncommon among persons with and without COVID-19; however, COVID-19 was significantly associated with an increased risk for myocarditis, with risk varying by age group.

Covid “long” or whatever you want to call it is real. I have a relative who acquired Covid very early on in the NYC area. She barely survived. She has significant lingering health issues that will now be with her forever. None of my other relatives were impacted to this degree. If medicine was easy everybody would be their own doctor.

There is a huge amount of dis-information out there as to the vaccines. As I advised two years ago, the claimed risk of myocarditis “from the vaccine” is about ~250,000 fold higher from virus than the from vaccine, the Pfizer and Moderna’s being the denominator.

The data are clouded by the “I’m getting Ill, I think I need a shot” phenomenon so there are a couple of cases in which it was unclear what was causative. Humans are funny critters, after all.

All the internet claims, and those of a particular Tennis star who was barred from Australian competition last year…well it’s all “risk vs cost”, and for him the cost was worth it and one does get to choose. But myocarditis remains ABOUT THE VIRUS.

There is so much misinformation out there.

As of this month, the CDC confirmed 735 cases of myocarditis in VAERS related to the COVID vaccines. A recent NIH study suggested a slight decrease in overall cases of myocarditis compared to the pre-pandemic period.

Perhaps it is possible that it more likely to experience myocarditis from the virus. However, a multiple of 250,000 would predict 735 X 250,000 = 183.75 million myocarditis cases in the US, far more than the approx 103 million COVID cases in the US. Even if everyone who got COVID also had myocarditis, it could not be a 250,000 multiple.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/safety/adverse-events.html

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35763765/

Last edited:
As of this month, the CDC confirmed 735 cases of myocarditis in VAERS related to the COVID vaccines.
I believe the VAERS is providing data on adverse events reported after vaccination. These may or may not be related to the vaccine being discussed.

I believe the VAERS is providing data on adverse events reported after vaccination. These may or may not be related to the vaccine being discussed.

VAERS does report by vaccine. 735 is for the COVID vaccines, mainly Pfizer and Moderna. There is a higher number of cases across all vaccines.

n.b. the fact that a paper appears in PubMed does not imply that it was funded by or that its findings are endorsed by the NIH.

GeorgeC,
speaking for himself

you’re correct my mistake for not catching that it was not a NIH study. That particular one came from Italy.

This.

If one polled those who had eaten carrots in the past six months, some number of them would have developed myocarditis during that time. That doesn’t mean the carrots caused it. There’s a difference between “correlation” and “causation”.

Did you look at the CDC link that bflynn provided?

This.

If one polled those who had eaten carrots in the past six months, some number of them would have developed myocarditis during that time. That doesn’t mean the carrots caused it. There’s a difference between “correlation” and “causation”.
you like carrots? ;)

Tell me you don't understand statistical studies without telling me you don't understand statistical studies.

Let's put it another way - the lower boundary of the 95% confidence interval exceeded the expected value of the control groups. That statement is the standard for statistics and when it repeats across multiple control groups, the odds of all of them being wrong becomes increasingly small. I'm convinced there IS something going on with adverse reactions because the data tells me there is, primarily for young men.

There is no recommendation to take or not take the vaccine based on this. It's a study of vaccine safety, not a risk analysis.

Tell me you don't understand statistical studies without telling me you don't understand statistical studies.
If I’m not mistaken, VAERS is a voluntary, self-reported collection of information. Are the reported results adjusted for potential risk factors, such as age, comorbidities, prior Covid, etc.? I don’t think so but may be wrong.

My impression is it’s used as a means to detect POSSIBLE risks early on and to shape statistically valid studies to be done afterwards, considering those potential side effects.

Jumping to conclusions with voluntarily reported results is risky -both for over- and under-reporting prevalence.

Add: my understanding is VAERS is used to drive later, statistically valid studies such as this, which shows the risk from myocarditis is low from both Covid and vaccines but considerably higher for those who had the disease: https://www.heart.org/en/news/2022/...ses-higher-risk-for-myocarditis-than-vaccines

VAERS enabled researchers to focus on myocarditis rather than some other condition that did not appear to be reported by VAERS respondents.

Last edited:

Let's put it another way - the lower boundary of the 95% confidence interval exceeded the expected value of the control groups. That statement is the standard for statistics and when it repeats across multiple control groups, the odds of all of them being wrong becomes increasingly small. I'm convinced there IS something going on with adverse reactions because the data tells me there is, primarily for young men.

There is no recommendation to take or not take the vaccine based on this. It's a study of vaccine safety, not a risk analysis.
At this point it's non-controversial to say there's a causal link between the vaccines and myocarditis. The CDC has admitted it, and they're way behind actual practitioners. Over a year ago, I had multiple physicians offer cautions regarding vaccinating my adolescent son. There are still many folks claiming it's just a conspiracy theory, but mostly they haven't kept up with the talking points.

At this point it's non-controversial to say there's a causal link between the vaccines and myocarditis.
Sure. That is a common sense point of view that appears to be stating fact without spin.

As of this month, the CDC confirmed 735 cases of myocarditis in VAERS related to the COVID vaccines.
On the other hand, making a statement which is clearly false in an attempt to prove one’s personal point of view has the effect of making one’s case look weaker than perhaps it really is. It may rally those who already support such a position to one’s side but it does nothing to promote a rational discussion.

Over a year ago, I had multiple physicians offer cautions regarding vaccinating my adolescent son.
Receiving personalized medical advice from doctors who have the welfare of you and your family as their priority is also is a very common sense approach.

VAERS is self reporting, which means if anything, the number of cases is underreported

At this point it's non-controversial to say there's a causal link between the vaccines and myocarditis.
It is equally non-controversial that the risk is low, the risk for myocarditis from the disease appears to be more than ten times greater, and the risk of death and hospitalization for those vaccinated is significantly lower than for the unvaccinated.

It is equally non-controversial that the risk is low, the risk for myocarditis from the disease appears to be more than ten times greater, and the risk of death and hospitalization for those vaccinated is significantly lower than for the unvaccinated.
Blanket statements about the risks from COVID go in the round file. Adolescents (especially males) are in the lowest risk group from the disease and may be at highest risk from the vaccine. Applying a single rule to 65+ and everyone else is bad math and bad medicine.

upload_2023-3-27_10-17-47.png

Blanket statements about the risks from COVID go in the round file.
Fair enough.

“At this point it's non-controversial to say there's a causal link between the vaccines and myocarditis.” seems like just such a statement. It lacks context, scale, and significance.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back