Covid 19 sick engine

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
How many people are just going out to your plane to run the engine on the ground every couple of weeks. Their is some value in keeping the oil moving and coating everything when you run it up on the ground. Does that ground run help or cause more problems with water in the engine from not getting it up to temp. With Covid 19 people are doing just that, running their engine on the ground only or one short flight around the pattern.

I have always heard that does more harm than good. We make sure to take our plane for at least a 45 minute flight at least every two weeks to get it hot enough for long enough to burn out any impurities. This has been unusual for us because usually, we actually go somewhere at least every two weeks.

I have heard the same thing, a ground run does no good. Since the engine is running ... why not run it in the air?

You HAVE to run your engine till the oil gets to operating temp, otherwise you will cause condensation in the engine and do more harm than good. Also, do not pull the engine thru if you are not flying. If you can, fly around the pattern and get the oil hot.

If you have time to ground run it, you have time to fly to a nearby airport (or two), do a few quick landings, and return? No?

I mean a solo flight to podunkville IS the best form of social distancing ...

I'm not really understanding why Covid-19 is preventing people from flying. Is it a lack of work/budget thing? If so, better to just let the plane sit IMO. Lots of engines go for months at a time without turning and still make TBO. Lots of engines fly daily and don't make TBO. Doing ground runs only does the engine no favors.

I can’t imagine why COVID would prevent someone from being able to fly, but yet only allow them to ground run their engine...doesn’t make any sense.
I can "sort of" understand it. Prior to COVID, we would fly to breakfast or lunch at least once every week or two, and we would also fly to a hotel and spend the night somewhere to burn off Marriott points. When COVID hit, and all of our favorite airport restaurants shut down, and we couldn't make any more overnight hotel trips, we didn't fly for about three weeks. "No where to go"! But we realized we missed flying and it was bad for the plane to just sit there, so now we try to fly locally as often as we want. As @Bill Jennings said, we usually do a few practice IFR approaches s at other airports, or we go to an airport that has cheaper fuel and fuel up. It is easy for us to save about a dollar per gallon that way.

But we are still champing at the bit to actually go someplace.

I can’t imagine why COVID would prevent someone from being able to fly, but yet only allow them to ground run their engine...doesn’t make any sense.
I can understand that if a BFR/medical/annual expired March 31 then it would have been difficult to get a renewal in the month of April. However, those days seem to be behind us now.

Maybe the OP's BFR expired and lives with a family member that has high-risk comorbitities?:dunno:

You HAVE to run your engine till the oil gets to operating temp, otherwise you will cause condensation in the engine and do more harm than good. Also, do not pull the engine thru if you are not flying. If you can, fly around the pattern and get the oil hot.

Why not pull the engine thru?

I get having trouble finding a destination or not being comfortable with going somewhere. If you’re already to the airport and in the plane though why not fly some laps in the pattern or go cruise around the area at least? That way you’re maintaining your own skills as well as the airplane.

Why not pull the engine thru?

Because it scrapes what oil is left off of surfaces without distributing any new oil of value. It also exposes surfaces that weren’t exposed while stationary.

Here’s a question that relates to this thread...

If the engine is left to sit for awhile, how long does the engine oil remain on the engine components after shutdown?

3 days? A week? A month?

You best options in order of most favorable to least.

1. Fly the airplane regularly like covid ain’t a thing in your plane.

2. if you are not going to fly for an extended period of time pay a mechanic to preserve the engine IAW manufacturers recommend procedure.

3. do nothing at all. It’s not ideal but is much better than what you are currently doing or talking about doing. Ground runs and pulling the engine through without running are very effective at Causing and. accelerating Corrosion in your engine. Don’t do it. Despite what many people think sometimes doing nothing is better than doing something.

well if you’re going to the airport to run the engine how is CV19 keeping you from flying? genuinely curious.

No, no, no! Why run an engine on the ground? It doesn't get hot enough to drive combustion moisture out of the oil,and is a good way to chew up your propeller and load up your plugs as well. Just fly it. For 30-60 minutes. Best thing you can do for your engine. And get some useful hours in while you are at it. I'm not aware of anywhere in the USA that prohibits aircraft owners from flying his or her aircraft. Even in NY our local airport never shut down--it was deemed an essential service. Common sense (personal distancing, masks if necessary) prevails for required interactions such as fueling or repairs. Flying is one of the few things you can do while avoiding viral transmission! And the view is better than that from your couch.

How many people are just going out to your plane to run the engine on the ground every couple of weeks. Their is some value in keeping the oil moving and coating everything when you run it up on the ground.

Good question. It’s been well established ground running the engine is very detrimental and has the opposite desired outcome. Why not just go sightseeing for an hour? Also consider adding pint of CamGuard to help inhibit corrosion?

Back