cost to install speed brakes on a C210

DKirkpatrick

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DKirkpatrick
Hello.
Anyone know the hours it should take to install speed brakes on a Cessna 210J?
much obliged,
dan

Not to be a jerk, but wouldn't it be cheaper to pay a high time pilot to just show you how to manage your energy?

I mean it's a 210, unless you're dropping dive bomb torpedos off of it, I can't really understand how you'd need speed brakes.

I mean it's a 210, unless you're dropping dive bomb torpedos off of it, I can't really understand how you'd need speed brakes.
I'm genuinely curious too. What application would benefit from the use of speed brakes on a 210?

That's who I would have asked.

But I still would have asked here just to get everyone fired up, start a debate about how awesome or useless they are lol.
OK fine. Their stupid but cool. Learn how to fly the damn plane and you don't need them. Speed brakes are the gateway drug to chutes and AOA's. Hows that for starters!!

I'm genuinely curious too. What application would benefit from the use of speed brakes on a 210?
Keep your speed up on final, there's a Lear eating you up. Pop em out over the fence?? I dunno, I've never used them. Would that work?

Keep your speed up on final, there's a Lear eating you up. Pop em out over the fence?? I dunno, I've never used them. Would that work?

Between gear and a sharper turn you can get to VFE in no time flat, slip if needed

You can take most any GA piston or even turbine plane and fly a tight downwind just a hair shy of VNE, do a sweeping downwind to final turn and still make the first taxiway.

I'd spend 1/4 of the money and get some instruction from a high time good stick and rudder guy (even if he's not a CFI) I'd imagine it would get him more out of that 210 than buying speed brakes.

Last edited:
The folks that sell them want 6K and advertise 25-35 hours to install. I suppose they could be worth it helps you hang up there longer in favorable winds and thinner, higher TAS air. I'd think you'd have to do a lot of flying to get the payback though. Might be good for the Turbo crowd, easier on the engine maybe??

OK fine. Their stupid but cool. Learn how to fly the damn plane and you don't need them. Speed brakes are the gateway drug to chutes and AOA's. Hows that for starters!!
By that logic no one shud in any instruments whatsoever. U can fly the plane with everything covered up in training, there is no reason to have them if u learnt in one that doesn't have any instruments.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The only reason I could see is to keep power up on a turbo 210 in descents to reduce shock cooling.

Perhaps with some maintenance consequences. IIRC, there is a VLE for the 210.
I think it said you could extend the brakes up to Vne. Makes sense. What good are brakes if you can't use them when going fast. On the G-1 I was wondering if you meant the gear was literally designed to serve as speed brakes. Of course gear always does, but if they had specifically designed the gear to have a Vle up near Vne.

I didn't research the TCDS before I posted that. It was an assumption on my part based on other factors.

I think it said you could extend the brakes up to Vne. Makes sense. What good are brakes if you can't use them when going fast. On the G-1 I was wondering if you meant the gear was literally designed to serve as speed brakes. Of course gear always does, but if they had specifically designed the gear to have a Vle up near Vne.
The G-1 speed brake handle only extended the MLG.

Normal and Emergency gear extension was/Is limited to 193 kts.

Speed brake has not limitation.

Last edited:
Can't speak to this exact set up, but some airplanes have a limitation on air brakes.
Most Citations are "retracted by 500' AGL", so your example may not work.

Air brakes on a C210 seems silly to me.

That's who I would have asked.

But I still would have asked here just to get everyone fired up, start a debate about how awesome or useless they are lol.
Not to be a jerk, but wouldn't it be cheaper to pay a high time pilot to just show you how to manage your energy?

That didn't take long bnt83. Just the post after yours. :D

how awesome or useless they are lol.

Some previous owner installed SpeedBrakes on my T210N in the early 90s. I sometimes find them useful for quickly slowing to maneuvering speed or if I get dropped onto an approach at a big airport and told to "maintain best forward speed". My experience is that they have almost exactly the same effect as dropping the landing gear, but without the wear and tear on the system. I wouldn't have paid to install them myself, but I did recently send mine to Precise Flight for service (first ever, according to the logbooks) because they were getting noisy and had started deploying asymetrically.

Back