Cop killer in L.A. has had flight training

If I were the subject of a nationwide manhunt and I had time to prepare for my departure, the first thing I'd do is preposition a car at a remote resort area, drive my truck up there, set it on fire as a diversion, and drive away.

He knew exactly what would happen. The LAPD and other participating police organizations would waste several days in a fruitless search for a person that is at least hundreds if not thousands of miles away.

I am sure LAPD won't pay for anything. They just claim it was a crime scene. Owners responsible for the damage.

Yeah, BUT..... it wasn't a crime scene till the LAPD broke in and vandelized it...:no::nonod::mad::mad2:....

I wonder just how many cabins /houses they trashed??:dunno:

This is probably totally unrelated, but one of our fly-in guests told me that he was met by two black Suburbans at our little airport after he landed Friday night. They claimed to be from Customs, but they gave him a complete ramp check, FAA-style, and closely examined his charts, despite his protestations that he had utilized Flight Following all the way and that his route of flight was obviously documented.

Nothing like this has ever been reported down here, so is it related to this LAPD fugitive flight student? Who knows?

All I know is that it's bad.

Did they show id? Or were they a couple of kids borrowing their parents Suburbans?

Last edited:
Then the geniuses moved on to Big Bear Lake where I personally know of two people owning summer cabins whose places were just trashed by the cops - no evidence of entry before they got there - but doors smashed open, furniture toppled [he is hiding behind a bookcase up against a wall?] and lighting broken - all in the name of doing a 'thorough' job looking for the guy. This is ALL typical LAPD over-reaction which the guy highlights in his rant -
Wait, the LAPD has jurisdiction in Big Bear Lake? Wouldn't it have been the Big Bear Lake PD who was responsible?

If this guy is as smart and slick as it seems and he had planning time I bet he's out of the country by now.

He tried to rip off a boat a few blocks from my house about a week ago. My house is somewhat isolated, so I have been keeping it locked up as much as I can.

At 70. I really do not care to have anything to do with such a character, even for the million dollar reward, if I got a shot at him. I really have been envisioning what I would do if he pulled a home invasion on me.

Spooky stuff.

-John

Cops are great at the easy stuff like speeding tickets. The big stuff...hmmm. The Colorado shooter gave up, The Coulmbine shooters, and the Sandy Hook shooter committed suicide. This past summer there was a high speed chase around here by a Dodge Viper, one of the squads lost control avoiding a stop stick and ran head on into a oncoming car. Aren't they supposed to be able to get the bad guys?????

"In the Criminal Justice System the people are represented by two separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime and the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders. These are their stories."
-NBC networks
Emphasis mine

Oh and "bum bum":rofl:

. . . I went out to check on my airplane today and there is some idiot volunteer wanna be local PD commuity volunteer car 'checking ID' - I refused - what kind of stupidity is this?

You make me want to visit Brackett now just to abuse this idiot. :D

I've seen pictures of him in a military flight suit but then in other pictures I don't see any Aviator Wings. So I'm guessing he washed out - a failure that probably fueled his anger. Switching over to Riverine Warfare is not an unusual step for someone to make after they couldn't cut the mustard in flight school. It's usually either that or MP's. With as regimented as the training is he MIGHT remember how to start a T-34C and ONLY a T-34C because that's all he's ever seen. IMHO him flying a GA aircraft is pretty remote.

You make me want to visit Brackett now just to abuse this idiot. :D

He was parked in the White La Verne PD 'Community Services" Pretend a Cop car sitting at the north entrance under the control tower. . . but he's only there from 8-6 . . so if Dorner comes during those times to fly away - then they'll catch him - but other 14 hours of the day - not so much. The insanity of that is beyond even consideration . . .

Hey all - so - given this photograph - who is this guy more afraid of?

Attachments

• dorner3.jpeg
    dorner3.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 54
Wait, the LAPD has jurisdiction in Big Bear Lake? Wouldn't it have been the Big Bear Lake PD who was responsible?

Big Bear has a PD? I always thought it was SBSO. Most of Bear Mtn is in the county, and I'm sure that SO is giving LAPD free reign to do whatever they want to do. Let LAPD spend their money. hahahaha

Hmmm. Maybe the guy is holed up in my aunt's cabin in Arrowbear. :lol:

Last edited:

Technically it was the San Bernardino County sheriff SWAT with 'help' from LAPD officers . . .

Empty meaning no humans present - not that the structures lacked private property owned by residents paying taxes. . . .

I asked the 70 something PD volunteer who asked for my ID . . . "do I look like a 6 foot six black guy?"
If you did, they wouldn't 'ask' for your ID.

BTW, I think he is only 6 foot zero.

signed,
6 foot black guy

If you did, they wouldn't 'ask' for your ID.

BTW, I think he is only 6 foot zero.

signed,
6 foot black guy

The real question is what was he going to do with my 'ID?' And why do I have to show it to him? If I'm not a 6 foot something 270# black guy - why hassle me? Just get out of my effin' way and let me go about my business -

Did they show id? Or were they a couple of kids borrowing their parents Suburbans?

The pilot guest in question doesn't seem like a fool, so I imagine they were legit LEO types who showed proper credentials.

I find the episode...disturbing. But, I suppose, it enabled the LEOs to write off their fishing trip to the island. :D

Like someone on the purpleboard said, this is like a Jason Bourne movie.

No doubt. Here is the movie trailer tag line...

"The cops want him dead, the Feds want him dead, the domestic drone operators want him dead, the cabin owners want him dead, the newspaper delivery women really want him DEAD! There's just one little problem....... He's a highly trained LAPD NAVY Riverine Commando with a death wish and an AR-15. Get ready for take no prisoners asymmetrical warfare! Coming to a theater near you Fall 2013".

With as regimented as the training is he MIGHT remember how to start a T-34C and ONLY a T-34C because that's all he's ever seen. IMHO him flying a GA aircraft is pretty remote.

At least ten years ago the navy was requiring some pilot candidates to attend ga flight school for 25hrs of training to include solo flight before going to API.

I've seen pictures of him in a military flight suit but then in other pictures I don't see any Aviator Wings. So I'm guessing he washed out - a failure that probably fueled his anger. Switching over to Riverine Warfare is not an unusual step for someone to make after they couldn't cut the mustard in flight school. It's usually either that or MP's. With as regimented as the training is he MIGHT remember how to start a T-34C and ONLY a T-34C because that's all he's ever seen. IMHO him flying a GA aircraft is pretty remote.
We have a lot more folks than pilots who wear flight suits in the Navy.....riverine folks, NSW, LCAC guys....etc I believe someone said this guy was Ruverine. I also seen photos of him with a military police badge which would indicate he was a prior enlisted LDO....not someone who went through Pensacola.

Last edited:
Tiretracks in the snow lead next to the big house and right into a ditch behind that house.... Hard to tell if he is in the vehicle but they got him surrounded for sure.....

Tiretracks in the snow lead next to the big house and right into a ditch behind that house.... Hard to tell if he is in the vehicle but they got him surrounded for sure.....

Where are you seeing this?

It looks like it is down Hwy 38 near Jenks Lake. My dad lives up by Snow Summit, where they found the truck.

That is good news for you...:yes:..

The couple he has hostage is not in the best position...:(:(

That is good news for you...:yes:..

The couple he has hostage is not in the best position...:(:(

Does he still have them? I thought he left that house in a stolen car and now he is in a new spot and pinned down by the police.

Obligatory stupid student pilot question... If one were flying a nice, long XC, VFR, and wasn't using FF, how would one know about this? Do they announce it on center frequencies? If one legitimately didn't know about it because it popped up after the pilot launched, what would happen if he busted it?

Granted the dozen helicopters orbiting would be a good first clue, but still...

Obligatory stupid student pilot question... If one were flying a nice, long XC, VFR, and wasn't using FF, how would one know about this? Do they announce it on center frequencies? If one legitimately didn't know about it because it popped up after the pilot launched, what would happen if he busted it?

Granted the dozen helicopters orbiting would be a good first clue, but still...

You have to have been briefed within a reasonable time of the flight. I think this is in the range of 20 minutes or so.

Theoretically *this* sort of TFR isn't because they think that some GA dude could be a threat, it's just for air safety since there is already a large concentration of helicopter/etc activity and they don't want the density to be further increased by gawkers and news crews. Thus the occasional inadvertent penetration by someone who genuinely didn't (and couldn't) know shouldn't be a big deal, especially since they're likely to be through and outta there rather than hanging around and getting in the way. I expect the result would be / should be a possible slap on the wrist and that's it. Of course, with the LAPD involved, all bets are off and maybe you'd be shot down with a SAM, then beaten with clubs.
This is kinda close to home for me as this time yesterday I was in fact VFR on a 3 hour XC, in the general vicinity.

Clear the airspace for the drone shot...
Theoretically *this* sort of TFR isn't because they think that some GA dude could be a threat, it's just for air safety since there is already a large concentration of helicopter/etc activity and they don't want the density to be further increased by gawkers and news crews. Thus the occasional inadvertent penetration by someone who genuinely didn't (and couldn't) know shouldn't be a big deal, especially since they're likely to be through and outta there rather than hanging around and getting in the way. I expect the result would be / should be a possible slap on the wrist and that's it. Of course, with the LAPD involved, all bets are off and maybe you'd be shot down with a SAM, then beaten with clubs.
This is kinda close to home for me as this time yesterday I was in fact VFR on a 3 hour XC, in the general vicinity.

Seen on Twitter:

The networks have to decide whether to cover an angry black man intent on killing people and spreading hatred or the Dorner story

I think he's well Dorner now. Crispy-cop. Shoulda gone to Atlanta like I said.

Oh jesus, they're burning him out? Did they bring their pitch forks with them?

Back