Cop killer in L.A. has had flight training

Just another excuse to turn the screw on the rest of us. GA is way to free considering what america has become.

All the EAA chapters got the notice, too.

All the EAA chapters got the notice, too.

That is probably where Corl (president of our airport association) picked it up. I know he is a member of a couple of chapters of EAA. He sent it out to our association.

There is a huge threat to GA in this country.

I've identified it -- have you?

Well, at least I know that if I ever go crazy, I can still rent a Ryder truck....

is the LAPD going to start shooting at random cessnas now too?

is the LAPD going to start shooting at random cessnas now too?

If that situation wasn't so sad this would be funny. Imagine some GA guy bobbling along VFR and stumbling into the vicinity of one of the identified targets for this whacko. I could see them coming under fire given the apparent trigger discipline, (or rather lack thereof), of the LAPD.

Pretty much all the comments on the news articles are universally NOT afraid of Dorner, but are universally afraid of the LAPD, sheriffs, etc.

Pretty much all the comments on the news articles are universally NOT afraid of Dorner, but are universally afraid of the LAPD, sheriffs, etc.

Fear is a great motivator in descision making, unfortunately it doesn't help make good ones.

Yeah, like shooting up random trucks on the roads. lolz.....

If that situation wasn't so sad this would be funny. Imagine some GA guy bobbling along VFR and stumbling into the vicinity of one of the identified targets for this whacko. I could see them coming under fire given the apparent trigger discipline, (or rather lack thereof), of the LAPD.

I wouldn't be surprised.

That is pretty crazy. Two women and one was 71 years old. The truck wasn't even the same color. They definately have some 'splainin to do.

already been explained away as understandable excitableness.

I'm just glad they were able to apprehend John and Martha King without a shoot out :mad2:

I lived in LA from 1977-1992 and then from 2010 to the present - this guy Dorner might be a nut job and murderer but everything he says about LAPD rings true. . .

then there was firing over 50 rounds down a public street at a 'fleeing' truck that 'resembled' his truck - literally only three rounds [thankfully] struck the two elderly hispanic women delivering newspapers in that truck - they hit everything [cars, trucks and homes] except what they were aiming at

Then the geniuses moved on to Big Bear Lake where I personally know of two people owning summer cabins whose places were just trashed by the cops - no evidence of entry before they got there - but doors smashed open, furniture toppled [he is hiding behind a bookcase up against a wall?] and lighting broken - all in the name of doing a 'thorough' job looking for the guy. This is ALL typical LAPD over-reaction which the guy highlights in his rant -

then on Sunday morning [four DAYS after they find his truck] they start searching every vehicle approaching th Mexican border at San Ysidro - mind you the border at Yuma and Calexico are operating normally - and there is an airfield about 80 east of San Diego I-8 [a gravel strip] hard on the border with no fence you can easily walk across that border and there is a road about 1/2 mi away in Mexico.

Its the Keystone Kops out here in Kaleeforneah folks . . . I went out to check on my airplane today and there is some idiot volunteer wanna be local PD commuity volunteer car 'checking ID' - I refused - what kind of stupidity is this?

Last edited:
I lived in LA from 1977-1992 and then from 2010 to the present - this guy Dorner might be a nut job and murderer but everything he says about LAPD rings true. . .
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I went out to check on my airplane today and there is some idiot volunteer wanna be local PD commuity volunteer car 'checking ID' - I refused - what kind of stupidity is this?

I left CA permanently in 1993. I was a few years too late after Rodney King, but I could see the writing on the wall, even from the inside. I grew up in Sandy Eggo, went to college in LA, and lived in Simi for about 6 fairly happy years.

Good on you telling the community volunteer to get stuffed. I wish more people would stand up.

........Then the geniuses moved on to Big Bear Lake where I personally know of two people owning summer cabins whose places were just trashed by the cops - no evidence of entry before they got there - but doors smashed open, furniture toppled [he is hiding behind a bookcase up against a wall?] and lighting broken - all in the name of doing a 'thorough' job looking for the guy. This is ALL typical LAPD over-reaction which the guy highlights in his rant -

Could you keep us posted on how the trashed cabins episode works out. Like, did the LAPD pay to fix all their damage...

Thanks in advance.

Ben.

My Dad lives about two miles from there. He said the search was pretty much limited to the immediate resort area and then mostly empty cabins. He said they are considering using drones with infrared detectors to continue the search. Weird.

And there it is. Drone time.

OBTW, Dorner or whatever is in Detroit, or Dallas, or Atlanta or something. Surely he's so far out of LAPD jurisdiction it's not even funny.

My Dad lives about two miles from there. He said the search was pretty much limited to the immediate resort area and then mostly empty cabins. He said they are considering using drones with infrared detectors to continue the search. Weird.

Empty meaning no humans present - not that the structures lacked private property owned by residents paying taxes. . . .

I asked the 70 something PD volunteer who asked for my ID . . . "do I look like a 6 foot six black guy?"

Empty meaning no humans present - not that the structures lacked private property owned by residents paying taxes. . . .

I asked the 70 something PD volunteer who asked for my ID . . . "do I look like a 6 foot six black guy?"

One of his bridge partners, who lives near Snow Summit, was evacuated from her house. I wonder why they limited the search to such a small area. A man on foot could cover a few miles very quickly. My Dad lives within two miles of where the truck was found and they never came to his house.

Those two ladies delivering papers probably didn't resemble the suspect much, either. At least this guy talked to you before he pulled out his gun and started shooting.

And.................There was snow on the ground around those cabins. Unless the guy sprouted wings and flew to a remote cabin, the cops should be able to look at the surrounding snow and see there are NO tracks leading up to any structure.... One thing about snow... You CANNOT hide recent tracks..:no::nonod:

And.................There was snow on the ground around those cabins. Unless the guy sprouted wings and flew to a remote cabin, the cops should be able to look at the surrounding snow and see there are NO tracks leading up to any structure.... One thing about snow... You CANNOT hide recent tracks..:no::nonod:

That would be if it were recent snow, which I think it has been a pretty dry January.

That would be if it were recent snow, which I think it has been a pretty dry January.

Video I saw of the cops checking cabins in the area showed snow on the ground.. The big dump didn't happen till later that night after most, if not all the cabins were searched /trashed.....

then there was firing over 50 rounds down a public street at a 'fleeing' truck that 'resembled' his truck - literally only three rounds [thankfully] struck the two elderly hispanic women delivering newspapers in that truck - they hit everything [cars, trucks and homes] except what they were aiming at

Then the geniuses moved on to Big Bear Lake where I personally know of two people owning summer cabins whose places were just trashed by the cops - no evidence of entry before they got there - but doors smashed open, furniture toppled [he is hiding behind a bookcase up against a wall?] and lighting broken - all in the name of doing a 'thorough' job looking for the guy. This is ALL typical LAPD over-reaction which the guy highlights in his rant -

then on Sunday morning [four DAYS after they find his truck] they start searching every vehicle approaching th Mexican border at San Ysidro - mind you the border at Yuma and Calexico are operating normally - and there is an airfield about 80 east of San Diego I-8 [a gravel strip] hard on the border with no fence you can easily walk across that border and there is a road about 1/2 mi away in Mexico.

Its the Keystone Kops out here in Kaleeforneah folks . . . I went out to check on my airplane today and there is some idiot volunteer wanna be local PD commuity volunteer car 'checking ID' - I refused - what kind of stupidity is this?

Cops are great at the easy stuff like speeding tickets. The big stuff...hmmm. The Colorado shooter gave up, The Coulmbine shooters, and the Sandy Hook shooter committed suicide. This past summer there was a high speed chase around here by a Dodge Viper, one of the squads lost control avoiding a stop stick and ran head on into a oncoming car. Aren't they supposed to be able to get the bad guys?????

What recourse does an owner have for the damages,any?

Cops are great at the easy stuff like speeding tickets. The big stuff...hmmm. The Colorado shooter gave up, The Coulmbine shooters, and the Sandy Hook shooter committed suicide. This past summer there was a high speed chase around here by a Dodge Viper, one of the squads lost control avoiding a stop stick and ran head on into a oncoming car. Aren't they supposed to be able to get the bad guys?????

As a certified police officer I can assure you there is no "easy stuff" in this job. The second we start thinking this is easy...we can die. :nono:

Nothing has changed at the LAPD since 1910. Both statements, that Joe makes, I fear are true. :hairraise:

I don't thnk there's enough gold in Fort Knox to make street level law enforcement in LA, an attractive job. So teh person who becomes a captain just might have been a street beater, leagally assaulting rodney King....think "the deer hunter" or "apocalypse now".

us Aairways said:
Nope. They are there to cleanup and secure the scene so the DA can assign blame. The citizen(s) must first defend themselves, sadly, the assault in progress is commonly over when they make it to the scene.....

Last edited:
As a certified police officer I can assure you there is no "easy stuff" in this job. The second we start thinking this is easy...we can die. :nono:

Pfft, barely in the top ten most dangerous jobs. If you take out self-inflicted, it's prolly not in the top 20.

most of you guys are cool with me - do the job right and thats all anyone can expect. . . .

Pfft, barely in the top ten most dangerous jobs. If you take out self-inflicted, it's prolly not in the top 20.

Depends on where you are. A shipmate of mine retired from the Navy a few years ago and got a job with the Va Beach PD. He was shot and killed his first month on the job. We have a baby sitter whose dad is a City of Norfolk police officer and he was shot on the job (bullet proof vest fortunately saved him). How dangerous it ranks among other occupations is debatable, but I wouldn't downplay the hazards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
Nothing has changed at the LAPD since 1910. Both statements, that Joe makes, I fear are true. :hairraise:

I don't thnk there's enough gold in Fort Knox to make street level law enforcement in LA, an attractive job. So teh person who becomes a captain just might have been a street beater, leagally assaulting rodney King....think "the deer hunter" or "apocalypse now".

Nope. They are there to cleanup and secure the scene so the DA can assign blame. The citizen(s) must first defend themselves, sadly, the assault in progress is commonly over when they make it to the scene.....

Yet some people **** and moan for gun control. Make all the laws you want, the criminals will still have them.

Depends on where you are. A shipmate of mine retired from the Navy a few years ago and got a job with the Va Beach PD. He was shot and killed his first month on the job. We have a baby sitter whose dad is a City of Norfolk police officer and he was shot on the job (bullet proof vest fortunately saved him). How dangerous it ranks among other occupations is debatable, but I wouldn't downplay the hazards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

When I lived in Memphis, MPD was one of the most fatal jobs in the country, suicide was an alarming portion of that statistic.

This is probably totally unrelated, but one of our fly-in guests told me that he was met by two black Suburbans at our little airport after he landed Friday night. They claimed to be from Customs, but they gave him a complete ramp check, FAA-style, and closely examined his charts, despite his protestations that he had utilized Flight Following all the way and that his route of flight was obviously documented.

Nothing like this has ever been reported down here, so is it related to this LAPD fugitive flight student? Who knows?

All I know is that it's bad.

A great thread. Lots of easy targets in a target rich environment. Ah well, must be getting soft in my old age.
Let me divert just to the ramp check and examining his charts. Wow.

Most of the charts in my plane are old, many out of date, and all are just covered with pencil lines, red lines, blue lines, scribbled numbers, circled thingies, etc. They would have a ball examining my charts to see the route I just flew.
Especially because I mostly use the moving map GPS and I almost never have flight following nor do I talk to ATC if there is any way possible to divert around controlled airspace when I am VFR.
Were they to jump on me like that, likely I would end up in Guantanamo.
Especially because I am a crusty old grouch who basically tells authority figures to go pizz up a rope.
A character flaw I know. It comes from growing up when the country was actually free.

Could you keep us posted on how the trashed cabins episode works out. Like, did the LAPD pay to fix all their damage...

Thanks in advance.

Ben.

I am sure LAPD won't pay for anything. They just claim it was a crime scene. Owners responsible for the damage.

Back