Conversation pet peeves

In Alabama we break that down and just go with sumbitch or sumbitch's

if you roll it all into one word it works pretty good. :D

Thank you - I'll have you know I used the word in my Wallet Thread.

I hate the word "basically." It is a conversation killer

Every time I hear it I feel like saying "I know I'm not as smart as you, but I think I can handle the full version":)

Dropping G's has a whole different meaning in Oakland....

I hate the word "basically." It is a conversation killer

Every time I hear it I feel like saying "I know I'm not as smart as you, but I think I can handle the full version":)

I'm guilty of that one, but it's usually used when trying to give a ten second answer to an exec who wants to know why ten years of bad computer system design is biting him in the ass... today.

There's a point where you just shrug and ask, "Would you like me to re-send the detailed risk analysis I wrote last year? This outage type was top of the list. No action was taken, so... How should I answer your question? BASICALLY, the company did this to itself for reasons that seemed important at the time, like... budget, manpower, and inability to choose between various documented risks. Now If you'll excuse me, I need to go out Humpty Dumpty back up on the wall."

Anytime I would have used the word "basically", I just substitute it with "essentially." It throws people off guard plus it's extra condescending.

Anytime I would have used the word "basically", I just substitute it with "essentially." It throws people off guard plus it's extra condescending.

Try "In the simplest terms possible," (and leave unsaid the remainder, "because that's all you're able to comprehend."

If it's plural, "them sumbitches" is considered proper usage in de Souf.

In Alabama we break that down and just go with sumbitch or sumbitch's

if you roll it all into one word it works pretty good. :D

Someone brought up small talk...

Heard this one today and it made me laugh. May have to use it for a while...

"How are you?"

"Proficient with firearms, and you?"

:rofl: :) :) :)

He said 'aircrafts' as in more than one aircraft.

You said "aircraft's", as in a contraction for 'aircraft is'.

If I heard 'look at all those aircrafts' I think I'd shiver too. Fortunately I've never heard it used that way.

He said 'aircrafts' as in more than one aircraft.

You said "aircraft's", as in a contraction for 'aircraft is'.

The subject is "Conversation pet peeves", in conversation they sound exactly the same.

No.... I'm pretty sure in conversation I know when some one is creating a plural vice a 's contraction. For the record, aircraft is both singular and plural. When people here say "aircrafts" as a plural (e.g. "Look at all the aircrafts."), I want to punch their teeth down their throat. I don't know how or when this phenomenon started, but I heard it on a CBS news report a few months ago.

No.... I'm pretty sure in conversation I know when some one is creating a plural vice a 's contraction. For the record, aircraft is both singular and plural. When people here say "aircrafts" as a plural (e.g. "Look at all the aircrafts."), I want to punch their teeth down their throat. I don't know how or when this phenomenon started, but I heard it on a CBS news report a few months ago.

Sure, when used in a sentence.

Well, that's normally how conversations occur, n'est pas?

Back