Conversation pet peeves

saracelica

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
saracelica
Okay so we did real well with general pet peeves. How about a special one. What do you hate to hear in a conversation. The filler words are obvious.

Here's mine:

"You know" - no I don't know that's why I'm talking to you
"blah blah - I mean...." - Why not say what you mean the first time?

Okay so we did real well with general pet peeves. How about a special one. What do you hate to hear in a conversation. The filler words are obvious.

Here's mine:

The use of "here's" when "here are" is called for.

I could care less

wicked and like wicked

Orientated

I'll be honest with you

ahhh

repeated throat clearing

What annoys me most...

Instead of saying well, they say wuuuullllll

repeated use of the word like

rig, instead of car or truck

stoldend, instead of stolen

calling the back glass on a car a windshield.

and while cuss words don't normally bother me, it gets old when every other word is f*#$, sh#*, etc.

and as already noted: ahhhhh.... ummmm.... ya know....

Here's mine:

Any type of whining.

What drives me over the edge is anyone that starts off a question with pre-questions.

For example:
Mind if I ask you a question?
How am I supposed to answer that question if the answer is YES?

Can I ask you a quick question?

That's not possible by the fact that you've already extended the length of the question.

Can I ask you ONE question?
The answer is yes and if they follow up with a second question I cut
them off by telling them they've used up their "ONE" question allotment.

I know that you don't know the answer but my question is...

Why are you asking me if you confidence level in me is so low?

I know you'll say no but I thought I would ask you anyway...
If you know the answer is no then why are you wasting my time?

The absolute worst offender will actually incorporate all of the above before asking you a question.

Mind if I ask you one quick question that I'm sure you don't know the answer to?

:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

Last edited:
I really hate rhetorical greetings. You know, people that say "How are you doing?" When they a) Don't give a f**k, and b) Don't expect an answer other than "Fine, how are you?"

"How are you doing?"

"Pretty crappy, yourself?"

"What?!"

"Well you asked."

Mind if I ask you a question?
How am I supposed to answer that question if the answer is YES?

I usually respond to that with: nope, do you want to ask another one?

When someone tried the "Do you know XXXX"? Self grandization by knowing someone you don't. :mad2:

Or in the middle of a conversation someone says; "Have you read the book XxxxxX?". Lemme guess you read it and now you are trying to tell me you are more important then me because you did. I say; " Do you want to give me the Cliff Notes version or should I excuse myself while I get a copy?"

Last edited:
"Whenever" in places where "when" is correct. As in, "Whenever I went there, ..."

"Orientate". No such word!

"He goes", "She goes", "He went", "She went" in place of "He said", "She said".

It is interesting to see the comments listed below your find.

I personally do not acknowledge the word "Fishes" even though it can now be found in the dictionary.

I don't have a problem with it. I guess you could call me a "word creationalist."

Haha - is that a valid phrase? It is now!!!!

ummmmmmm well you see I hate it ummmmmm when people are speaking and ummmmm can't seem to finish a sentance without ummmmmm or uhhhhhh pauses, right? It's also annoying, right, when people always conclude their statements with a question, right? Right?

I really hate rhetorical greetings. You know, people that say "How are you doing?" When they a) Don't give a f**k, and b) Don't expect an answer other than "Fine, how are you?"

"How are you doing?"

"Pretty crappy, yourself?"

"What?!"

"Well you asked."

I hate when people tell me all their problems, when all I wanted to hear was "Fine, how are you?"

Don't ask me how I'm doing if you don't want to know.

(or is it ax?)

;-)

"How are you doing?"

"Space Shuttle"

"What?!"

ftfy.

"I'll be honest with you" or similarly " let me be honest".
If I didn't expect honesty I wouldn't be listening to you.

And "Let me be perfectly clear ..." And then proceed to obfuscate.

especially sports inverviews ... every sentence begins with "I mean..."
what are you trying to clarify? This is your first attempt at an answer to a question.

"First name?"
"Greg"
"One 'G' or two?"
"Two. One at the beginning and one at the end. You can't spell 'Greg' with just one 'G'..."
"Huh? What?"

Using "like" instead of "said"

And I'm like "you wanna go hang out"

and she's like "no way"

and I'm like "so what do you wanna do"

and she's like "I dunno"

Rising inflection at the end of every sentence, "Like, you know, uummmmmm?"

Cheers

+1 to the "Let me be honest with you..."

And also "To tell you the truth..."

What does that mean, anyway? If the person doesn't say that before they speak, should I be under the assumption that they are not being honest, and lying?

In sports, it always irritated me when the winners would "Thank the lord" or "Thank Jesus". Nothing against being religious of course, but for winning a sporting event? Not long ago a comedian finally brought this up (I'm sorry, I don't remember who) and made a great point: Does that mean that the Lord/Jesus just didn't want the other (losing) team to win? :dunno:

Checking out at a store, and the clerk says "Is that it?" Wow, what sales pressure. Maybe you can convince me to buy one of those 4-hour hotdogs if you keep it up.

People who answer questions with questions:

Q: What time is it?

A: Why do you want to know?

:mad2:

A woman I work with drives me crazy.
If I ask her "do you know what time it is?" or "Do you know who the guy at the front desk is?" she will say "yes" or "no" and walk away as if all I wanted to know is whether she knew or not. If I ask her if she knows where the Smith file is, I am not just testing her to see if she knows damn it. I want to know where the stupid Smith file is.

Back