Conversation pet peeves

That was a screwy deal that happenned just after the last big flood in the 90s. I had flown into SUS as the river was rising for a visit and spent the first day helping ferry planes down to Weiss which didn't flood while SUS did. Not long after the county changed the zoning and tax on the property from agricultural to industrial and Weiss couldn't afford the taxes, so they closed and openned an FBO at SUS. Lost us a great airport 5-10 minutes out Gravois from our neighborhood.:( Now my friends have to pick me up at SUS which is a 45+ minute drive.
I remember the flood at KSUS. I didn't live there any more but I went back for a visit a few years later. The company I had worked for at KSUS got flooded out but they rebuilt. The other company I worked for down at Weiss sold out and the owner retired.

I lived in St. Louis for a while but I can't recall if I heard, "It needs fixed" there. The only thing I remember was that a lot of people called their state "Missurah".

It needs fixed 'cause it's broke! Ya'll could learn to talk more 'ficiently 'thout all them extra words and letters and stuff. We talk real good in the midwest and don't need no fancy pants left or right coasters tellin' us no better.Got it?

It needs fixed 'cause it's broke! Ya'll could learn to talk more 'ficiently 'thout all them extra words and letters and stuff. We talk real good in the midwest and don't need no fancy pants left or right coasters tellin' us no better.Got it?
So now we are narrowing down the region. :D

What do you call that area of the country through the center but not as far east as St. Louis or Detroit. Seems like someone called it the "west midwest".

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: The next month is gonna be interesting, I get to learn another dialect....:lol::lol::lol:

What do you call that area of the country through the center but not as far east as St. Louis or Detroit. Seems like someone called it the "west midwest".

I don't know. Do I really look like a geography teacher? (don't answer that)

Great Plains.

Talking in shorthand is just one of the talents required. :rofl:

LOL, no wonder the ex military guy ran away... They need structure and intelligible orders.:rofl: I'm used to taking two syllable orders: "Fix It!":rofl:

Hardly noticeable.

Lol, it's really just a matter of dress and having a hot tub. I worked N Canada and Alaska. I'm not a stranger to cold by any means, I just don't like it and it takes a certain level of bribery to get me there, you met that level.:rofl:

LOL, no wonder the ex military guy ran away... They need structure and intelligible orders.:rofl: I'm used to taking two syllable orders: "Fix It!":rofl:

It's their job to either know or figure it out. If I gotta tell you then I jus' well do it myself.

I'm not sure I would call Colorado and Wyoming Great Plains states, well maybe the eastern halves.

Typically the region between the Ozark Mountains and the Rocky Mountains is considered The Great Plains in all the geography references I come across.

What are you talking about? 'The Great Plains' refers to any Boeing product. Sheesh.

I'm not sure I would call Colorado and Wyoming Great Plains states, well maybe the eastern halves.

Denver is the "Queen City of the Plains". And it's not long until the National Western Stockshow time of year. Cows don't like eating pine trees. ;)

My wife's from the part of St Louis where they "warsh" their cars.

My mother was born and raised in California and says that. I was born and raised (through 3rd grade) in California and I don't. Go figure.

Are there hot tubs in www? Well, maybe in Jackson.

They are portable, we have the technology, if I can't get a hot tub on sight one way or another, there's no way I'll be able to do the job long enough to care.:D;)

They are portable, we have the technology, if I can't get a hot tub on sight one way or another, there's no way I'll be able to do the job long enough to care.:D;)

Relax, it's a dry cold...

Relax, it's a dry cold...

The cold wasn't the factor I was referring to, if I can't handle a simple logistics issue, no way could I handle the rest.;)
As far as dry vs wet cold, you got that right, I've never been as cold as out at sea.

Last edited:
The cold wasn't the factor I was referring to, if I can't handle a simple logistics issue, no way could I handle the rest.;)
As far as dry vs wet cold, you got that right, I've never been as cold as out at sea.

Georgia has a wet cold. I've never been as cold as Ft. Benning in the winter time.

Conversation is all about getting one's thoughts across to the audience. One of my pet peeves is having someone correct the speakers words even though they know exactly what is being communicated and why.
People misspeak all the time. You know they aren't dumb. Why do some people persist in correcting everyone's speech. It's not like you haven't stumbled over words in your lifetime.
So if we're at the airport and someone suggests we go over to his hanger, you really don't need to correct him.
Another is using buzzwords, acronyms, or internet shorthand when speaking or using acronyms as words. Some guy at work started using agnostic in reference to some computer components. Or the guy who, while talking about computer hacking, kept using "injecting machine code into the stream".
I'm really not sure what either were trying to convey AND I'm pretty sure neither did they. It just sounds... well... cool.
We're programmed from early on that silence in conversation isn't good. Speakers often fill the void with Umms, Ahhhs, Like, and other dead air fillers to try to connect thoughts. The problem comes when that is all you hear. Even the best speakers have moments.

I've never been as cold as out at sea.

Lake Superior November through January did it for me. I missed a few meals because I just wasn't going to walk to the galley. On the Cort I didn't have a choice. I worked aft, but lived up forward, so I had to walk the deck everyday.

Conversation is all about getting one's thoughts across to the audience. One of my pet peeves is having someone correct the speakers words even though they know exactly what is being communicated and why.
People misspeak all the time. You know they aren't dumb. Why do some people persist in correcting everyone's speech. It's not like you haven't stumbled over words in your lifetime.
So if we're at the airport and someone suggests we go over to his hanger, you really don't need to correct him.
Another is using buzzwords, acronyms, or internet shorthand when speaking or using acronyms as words. Some guy at work started using agnostic in reference to some computer components. Or the guy who, while talking about computer hacking, kept using "injecting machine code into the stream".
I'm really not sure what either were trying to convey AND I'm pretty sure neither did they. It just sounds... well... cool.
We're programmed from early on that silence in conversation isn't good. Speakers often fill the void with Umms, Ahhhs, Like, and other dead air fillers to try to connect thoughts. The problem comes when that is all you hear. Even the best speakers have moments.

:yeahthat: :yes: :goofy::yes::yes::confused::yeahthat:

My father says son of a *******. It drives me nuts.

Are you sure he wasn't stating the possessive form? (e.g. I don't like the way that son of a *****'s yard looks.)

Are you sure he wasn't stating the possessive form? (e.g. I don't like the way that son of a *****'s yard looks.)

It would still be improper grammar as it would be *****'s son.

You are a son of a *****.

You are a *****'s son.

Or my favorite from Nixon:

"I question your maternal lineage.":rofl:

It would still be improper grammar as it would be *****'s son.

You are a son of a *****.

You are a *****'s son.

Or my favorite from Nixon:

"I question your maternal lineage.":rofl:

Yes, but the phrase "son of a *****" is a proper term. By your rationale, you would have to state "I don't like the way that *****'s son's yard looks." I'm not sure that's quite right.

Yes, but the phrase "son of a *****" is a proper term. By your rationale, you would have to state "I don't like the way that *****'s son's yard looks." I'm not sure that's quite right.

In Alabama we break that down and just go with sumbitch or sumbitch's

if you roll it all into one word it works pretty good. :D

Back