Conversation pet peeves

A woman I work with drives me crazy.
If I ask her "do you know what time it is?" or "Do you know who the guy at the front desk is?" she will say "yes" or "no" and walk away as if all I wanted to know is whether she knew or not. If I ask her if she knows where the Smith file is, I am not just testing her to see if she knows damn it. I want to know where the stupid Smith file is.

Try asking her what you actually want to know. "What time is it?", "Who's the guy at the front desk?", "Where's the Smith file?"

Using "less," when "fewer" is called-for.

I'm not fond of being 'axed' questions, but I've had to make my way in enough countries where I didn't know any of the language, few things in a conversation annoy me except the thoughts behind the concepts.

I'm not fond of being 'axed' questions, but I've had to make my way in enough countries where I didn't know any of the language, few things in a conversation annoy me except the thoughts behind the concepts.

I like this. Save yourself quite a bit of stress, too.

I like this. Save yourself quite a bit of stress, too.

You would think, and in countries where I don't know the language it's true enough, however in English speaking countries the thoughts are annoying enough, I don't need to worry about the words...:mad2::lol:

A woman I work with drives me crazy.
If I ask her "do you know what time it is?" or "Do you know who the guy at the front desk is?" she will say "yes" or "no" and walk away as if all I wanted to know is whether she knew or not. If I ask her if she knows where the Smith file is, I am not just testing her to see if she knows damn it. I want to know where the stupid Smith file is.

Hmmm.... I'm wondering if that's your wife trying to teach you how to use the language properly.;)

IOW, her responses to your questions were as correctly phrased as your questions.:rolleyes:

"Like I said" as the start of a statement. The first statement made. Usually said, multiple times, by some athlete in an interview.

"At the end of the day" :mad2:

Do I have to wait that long for you to get to the bottom line? :lol:

I love the guys in meetings that, when asked if they have anything else, say "no" but then go on and on rehashing stuff.

Some of the same guys say "one last thing" multiple times. One guy I work with said it six times in one meeting....

List this one too.

In sports, it always irritated me when the winners would "Thank the lord" or "Thank Jesus". Nothing against being religious of course, but for winning a sporting event? Not long ago a comedian finally brought this up (I'm sorry, I don't remember who) and made a great point: Does that mean that the Lord/Jesus just didn't want the other (losing) team to win? :dunno:
Well, I understand why this seems silly, but when athletes thank the Lord, it is often just a thanks for the personal blessing. God has given us many great things, and pro athletes should be especially thankful for their many blessings of ability and fame. I think it's great when athletes do this, because they acknowledge that only through God are they even able to play the game. Then again, lots just do it for show.
My personal peeve is "I dont go the lieberry very much."
Yes, I can tell you do not go to the library very often.
Also, "Me and him" as a subject or "he and I" as the direct object. Gives me shutters when I hear it.
Also, it annoys me when people talk in txt chrctrs or especially when they email without using complete sentences. Heck, I just typed this whole post on my phone; the least you can do is type or speak a message I can decipher.

Also, what the Hell is with "Hella?" Only 5 yr old girls should be allowed to use that vulgar word.

Being new to the South, I still can't get used to y'all or fixin' to.

But I must say that I don't really miss hearing "yins", either. I'm going to assume that anyone who knows "yins" can pinpoint my previous location to within +/- 100 miles or so.

But I must say that I don't really miss hearing "yins", either. I'm going to assume that anyone who knows "yins" can pinpoint my previous location to within +/- 100 miles or so.

"Y'all" and Klipshe speakers are the South's greatest contributions to our society. I think Y'all is fine, when I get up in NY/NJ though, I hit 'youse', I didn't take to that one.

"Need this by Close Of Business today."

You do realize we are a 24/7 shop, right? Just because your ass doesn't have to get out of bed at 2AM and do anything, doesn't mean the rest of us who work for you to own that BMW don't.

Well, I understand why this seems silly, but when athletes thank the Lord, it is often just a thanks for the personal blessing. God has given us many great things, and pro athletes should be especially thankful for their many blessings of ability and fame. I think it's great when athletes do this, because they acknowledge that only through God are they even able to play the game. Then again, lots just do it for show.
My personal peeve is "I dont go the lieberry very much."
Yes, I can tell you do not go to the library very often.
Also, "Me and him" as a subject or "he and I" as the direct object. Gives me shutters when I hear it.
Also, it annoys me when people talk in txt chrctrs or especially when they email without using complete sentences. Heck, I just typed this whole post on my phone; the least you can do is type or speak a message I can decipher.

And I get shudders when I read things such as this. :rolleyes:

Speakin' of fixin', I had a hard time getting used to, "It needs fixed" as opposed to "It needs to be fixed" or "It needs fixing". I suspect that's midwestern as the first time I heard it was when I moved to Colorado after having lived on the east and west coasts.

Speakin' of fixin', I had a hard time getting used to, "It needs fixed" as opposed to "It needs to be fixed" or "It needs fixing". I suspect that's midwestern as the first time I heard it was when I moved to Colorado after having lived on the east and west coasts.

Another peeve and a bit of a head-scratcher for me. I don't think I've ever heard someone say it, but have been reading it more and more - where did this come from and why?

Jiminy Christmas - it needs fixin'. Ain't nothin' wrong with that.

I'm fixin' to learn y'all how to talk right.

I grew up in St. Louis and never heard that... sounds more like a western dialect that was developed with people that only had basic language like native Indians.

heh - St Louis has its own dialect. My wife's from there and even after all these years I still hear something new.

heh - St Louis has its own dialect. My wife's from there and even after all these years I still hear something new.

LOL, get down to it and St Louis has about 5 dialects around town, and that's not including all the accents.:rolleyes:

I grew up in St. Louis and never heard that... sounds more like a western dialect that was developed with people that only had basic language like native Indians.
I lived in St. Louis for a while but I can't recall if I heard, "It needs fixed" there. The only thing I remember was that a lot of people called their state "Missurah".

I lived in St. Louis for a while but I can't recall if I heard, "It needs fixed" there. The only thing I remember was that a lot of people called their state "Missurah".
and across the river is Illinoise.;) South St Louis has created yet another dialect the Bosnian refugees have developed there.

I know. Years later I looked at a chart just out of curiosity and it was gone.

That was a screwy deal that happenned just after the last big flood in the 90s. I had flown into SUS as the river was rising for a visit and spent the first day helping ferry planes down to Weiss which didn't flood while SUS did. Not long after the county changed the zoning and tax on the property from agricultural to industrial and Weiss couldn't afford the taxes, so they closed and openned an FBO at SUS. Lost us a great airport 5-10 minutes out Gravois from our neighborhood.:( Now my friends have to pick me up at SUS which is a 45+ minute drive.

Back