Constant speed props?

Jim Case

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
AceDolphinFlyer
Hello all, the instructors at the airport I fly out of are wanting me to try out a constant speed propeller aircraft. I've never flown in one. Any tips on them? What's it like setting engine power and RPM's separately? Any issues I should know about?

What's it like setting engine power and RPM's separately? Any issues I should know about?

The first thing you should know is that manifold pressure + engine speed = power setting. You don't set power separately from RPM.

Am I the only macaroon to think that they want you to "try it out" so they can charge you to explain "Any tips on them? What's it like setting engine power and RPM's separately? Any issues I should know about?

Yah, go have fun. Learn from those instructors, and not from SGOTI.

Have you read the appropriate section in the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge?

Usually a good place to start.
Yes i have. It seems pretty straight forward, lots of good info and in the owners manual for the arrow, the one im looking to fly. but I'm looking to see if anyone has tips on using them most efficiently?

Am I the only macaroon to think that they want you to "try it out" so they can charge you to explain "Any tips on them? What's it like setting engine power and RPM's separately? Any issues I should know about?

Yah, go have fun. Learn from those instructors, and not from SGOTI.
It's likely, but I'm paying $110 to rent the plane anyway, so the extra $40 for instructors really hits hard. Hoping to keep instruction time to a minimum. Without endangering myself.

Easy to learn but the Arrow is a complex so you're about to increase your workload.

Fly by numbers. You'll end up memorizing MP and RPM settings for different phases of flight. Make sure you know the e-procedures for prop governor failures, etc.

GUMPS

Find a plane that rents wet-tach and pull the blue knob waaaaaaay back.

Easy to learn but the Arrow is a complex so you're about to increase your workload.

Fly by numbers. You'll end up memorizing MP and RPM settings for different phases of flight. Make sure you know the e-procedures for prop governor failures, etc.

GUMPS
Yeah I've been told it's a pretty complex machine. Should I go with the cessna first you think? I'm not sure what model it is, it looks just like the 172 skyhawk. I like the warrior more than the Skyhawk so I figured I'd go with the arrow.

I suspect the FBO is going to want, in addition to your complex signoff, some minimum amount of dual instruction before they will rent you the Arrow.

I suspect the FBO is going to want, in addition to your complex signoff, some minimum amount of dual instruction before they will rent you the Arrow.
:yeahthat: Bingo. I'm renting it for instruction. I'm paying for the aircraft and the instructor, taking the dual instruction. My savings are dwindling as we speak! XD

Well, if you are going to do that, just go strait to the turbojet. Why screw around with kid stuff. You're going to succumb to SJS eventually.
Neither of those are available at my FBO. Even so, I like to be good and practiced before I make a big step.

Right to left on climb left to right in descent. Or something like that. I just fly by the numbers and listen to lithium on xm.

Have you read the appropriate section in the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge?

Usually a good place to start.

A better reference is the Airplane Flying Handbook, Chapter 11. While you are there, go to Chapter 12 and check out Figure 12-3, which illustrates the relationship between blade angle and drag. If you do not have the pub, go to www.faa.gov and search for FAA-H-8083-3B. Within the book you can search using CTRL-F.

Bob

A better reference is the Airplane Flying Handbook, Chapter 11. While you are there, go to Chapter 12 and check out Figure 12-3, which illustrates the relationship between blade angle and drag. If you do not have the pub, go to www.faa.gov and search for FAA-H-8083-3B. Within the book you can search using CTRL-F.

Bob
This is great! Thanks bob! :thumbsup:

I'd want to know why they want you in the Arrow so bad in the first place before digging into the details of flying one. Learning the constant speed prop and gear is a matter of building good habits. Definitely not difficult.

Smell test seems to indicate that someone wants that airplane flying more.

Around here, anything complex with retractable gear, barely sits on the ground for all the Commercial and CFI candidates filling those airplane's schedules.

Look at bigger picture.

Are they short of single engine trainers and the schedule is hammered?

Who owns the Arrow? Is it flying much? If not, why not?

Do you have any personal goals or missions that only the Arrow can fulfill?

Instructor just bored of boring holes in the sky in whatever trainer you're using? Needs complex time?

It's your money. But, I wouldn't waste it on an aircraft you don't need time in unless you're okay with the higher cost of operation for no other reason than you want to do it.

My curiosity wouldn't let me not dig in and figure out why someone would want to waste my money. If even just for trivia's sake. Or knowing who was willing to suggest wasting my money.

Just sayin'.

Back