Considering trying a new drug

MIFlyer

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
MIFlyer
I'm thinking of trying a new, highly addictive flavor of this drug we call flying.

I'm considering purchase of an Aztec in 2 years and thought it might be really smart to get an hour of dual from the local flight school as a birthday gift to myself to see if it's as much fun flying behind two IO540's as it looks.

Am I crazier than normal?

Expensive flying! But good planes. I know there is one for rent in CT, you're in MI?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks GS. Seattle area. Pavco has one for rent (and SALE) at TIW, and I think it's the only one close, so i feel like maybe I should go get a little sample before they sell it to see if it's what I REALLY want as my long term plane when I'm ready to buy

PS, yes $350/hr plus instructor. so my 1 hr ground and 1 hr flight will be about $450. ouch. I could fly the club 172 for 5 hours for that money.

but, i think it might be a rare chance to try it, and see if it's just another airplane, or if I really fall in love with it.

PS, yes $350/hr plus instructor. so my 1 hr ground and 1 hr flight will be about $450. ouch. I could fly the club 172 for 5 hours for that money.

but, i think it might be a rare chance to try it, and see if it's just another airplane, or if I really fall in love with it.

Yes there are very few for rent. I pay close to 300 for a Duchess...

I'm not sure that I would call multi flying "fun." You'll probably think it is fun for the first few hours because the extra power is nice and it makes some people feel like more of a pilot. After that, you realize that it is just another airplane and they fly like airplanes, and the novelty wears off.

But, if you need the capacity and capability of a twin they are great. The Aztec is a capable machine- they are very forgiving, haul pretty much anything you can fit in them, and handle ice well. They also handle rough, short, and/or marginally improved runways very well.

Of the airplanes I have available to me to fly the Aztec is my default traveling airplane, particularly when there is weather that I have to deal with. You'll probably feel the same way after spending some time in one.

I'm not sure that I would call multi flying "fun." You'll probably think it is fun for the first few hours because the extra power is nice and it makes some people feel like more of a pilot. After that, you realize that it is just another airplane and they fly like airplanes, and the novelty wears off.

But, if you need the capacity and capability of a twin they are great. The Aztec is a capable machine- they are very forgiving, haul pretty much anything you can fit in them, and handle ice well. They also handle rough, short, and/or marginally improved runways very well.

Of the airplanes I have available to me to fly the Aztec is my default traveling airplane, particularly when there is weather that I have to deal with. You'll probably feel the same way after spending some time in one.
That's what I keep hearing. I am fairly certain it will be the plane I buy, but before I spend the next 1-2 years dreaming about it, I thought flying one for an hour might be nice "dream fuel" for me.

I've heard they're very honest airplanes

Paging @Jeff K -- he has been an Aztec owner for a few years and can provide good info....

That's what I keep hearing. I am fairly certain it will be the plane I buy, but before I spend the next 1-2 years dreaming about it, I thought flying one for an hour might be nice "dream fuel" for me.

I've heard they're very honest airplanes

The Aztec is an easy airplane to fly, and an airplane that really takes care of the pilot. It handles more like a truck while the Baron handles more like a sports car. But the Baron won't carry the load that an Aztec will either. I almost think tha Aztec is too easy to fly when used in the training environment and it won't teach a pilot as much as some other twins. But it also keeps the inexperienced instructors and the students safe at the same time.

Paging @Jeff K -- he has been an Aztec owner for a few years and can provide good info....

I believe Jeff posted his Aztec for sale over on the Beech Talk board...

I know :( ... and if now was 24 months from now, I'd be on the phone with Mr. King to talk about his plane, but I don't think I can do it this year.

The thing about a twin is I can relax a bit more in cruise and almost forget what I'm flying over - engine failure anxiety in a single is real.

The thing about my single is it is faster than an Aztec and burns WAY less fuel. Would be hard to give that up...

The thing about a twin is I can relax a bit more in cruise and almost forget what I'm flying over - engine failure anxiety in a single is real.

The thing about my single is it is faster than an Aztec and burns WAY less fuel. Would be hard to give that up...

that;s a good perspective. I met a pilot flying an Ovation, and he really loved it. I think for me and who I carry, I'd be in a PA-32 single at 15GPH and 135kts, so going to 155kts at 20 GPH isn't bad. it's the MX that scares the crap out of me.

I do a lot of my flying over forest, mountains and cities. not nearly as much over pastureland...

Efficiency is not why you fly an Aztec, nor any twin really.

i'm figuring TCO at
insurance 3,400
tie down $1,500
100hrs fuel 10,000
MX 5,000
registration, oil changes, etc $2,000

So, 22K/yr for 100 hours and that's with no engine or prop reserves. also doesn't include updates to avionics or P&I

Using my club 182, i'm at 14,000 so it's really not that big of jump, except my exposure is more limited in the club to just the hourly cost

ASEL is a gateway drug to the harder stuff like IRA, AMEL, and ASES. Just don't get into AMES or rotorcraft. Those are the point of no return, the heroin of flying. Even "just one time to see what it's like" and the next thing you know you're selling your teeth for more.

ASEL is a gateway drug to the harder stuff like IRA, AMEL, and ASES. Just don't get into AMES or rotorcraft. Those are the point of no return, the heroin of flying. Even "just one time to see what it's like" and the next thing you know you're selling your teeth for more.

Teeth! I knew there was something else I could sell! Thanks!! ;)

I've got 10 hours or so in a F Aztec. Not a "fun" airplane, but they are rock solid. My 182 isn't even close.

I've got 10 hours or so in a F Aztec. Not a "fun" airplane, but they are rock solid. My 182 isn't even close.
I guess fun is quite subjective. I like capability and power, not whipping around like a kite attached to the wrist of a PCP user.

Not judging that, I know that's a thrill for lots of folks, but i'd like a good, solid, strong, traveling machine with lots of margin

(note, said as somehow who's never flown aerobatics). but, i found the 182 more fun than the 172 because it's more powerful and flies more stably

Fly inverted and do a few rolls...That will cure you.....:)

Almost setting down in Funter Bay/Pass last summer was enough excitement to hold me over the winter.

And guess what plane I was in that day....

these look fun too.. :)

Autogyro

Have fun man! For some reason, when I was doing my multi training, I was scared to death of light twins. I still wouldn't want to take one solo. Probably an irrational fear but I always thought of Vmc roll. My GA twin experience is very limited. I only have about 25 hours and the rest of my ~900 multi is in a jet.

Last edited:
Have fun man! For some reason, when I was doing my multi training, I was scared to death of light twins. I still wouldn't want to take one solo. Probably an irrational fear but I always thought of Vmc roll. My GA twin experience is very limited. I only have about 25 hours and the rest of my ~900 multi is in a jet.
Thanks, I left a message with the CFI to see if he's got a couple of hours this weekend, if not, it'll be soon :)

Back