Compass deviation card required for VFR flight?

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by imwithtuxedo, Jun 12, 2019.

1. imwithtuxedo

imwithtuxedo Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    J
    Is a compass deviation card required equipment for VFR flights? If so, can someone point me to the applicable FAR?

2. Checkout_my_Six

Checkout_my_Six Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Check_my_Six
    well....do you have a "Magnetic direction indicator"? That usually is a magnetic compass.....and it requires a deviation card for accuracy.

3. ateamer

ateamer Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    ateamer
    23.1547 no longer exists. Part 23 was entirely rewritten; everything in it was superceded in 2017.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  4. Checkout_my_Six

Checkout_my_Six Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Check_my_Six
    oh well....lingering is a problem. o_O

5. ateamer

ateamer Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    ateamer
    D’oh! Thanks for catching that.

I will linger a little longer.

6. imwithtuxedo

imwithtuxedo Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    J
    So, are you saying 14 CFR 23.1547 no longer exists and a compass deviation card is no longer required, or is the current in effect Section 23.1547 what we go by for compass card deviations?

§ 23.1547 Magnetic direction indicator.
    (a) A placard meeting the requirements of this section must be installed on or near the magnetic direction indicator.

(b) The placard must show the calibration of the instrument in level flight with the engines operating.

(c) The placard must state whether the calibration was made with radio receivers on or off.

(d) Each calibration reading must be in terms of magnetic headings in not more than 30 degree increments.

(e) If a magnetic nonstabilized direction indicator can have a deviation of more than 10 degrees caused by the operation of electrical equipment, the placard must state which electrical loads, or combination of loads, would cause a deviation of more than 10 degrees when turned on.

7. dmspilot

dmspilot En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Display name:
    The regulation that existed at the time the aircraft received type certification is what matters. Part 23 and CAR 3 both have required the deviation card.

GeorgeC likes this.
  8. imwithtuxedo

imwithtuxedo Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    J
    I've got a 1970 Cherokee 180E

9. GeorgeC

GeorgeC En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    GeorgeC
    TCDS 2A13 says:
    PA-28-150, PA-28-160, PA-28-180, PA-28-235, PA-28S-160, PA-28S-180, PA-28R-180, and PA-28R-200:
    CAR 3 effective May 15, 1956, including Amendments 3-1 and 3-2; paragraphs 3.304 and 3.705 of Amendment 3-7 effective May 3, 1962; FAR 23.955 and 23.959 as amended by Amendment 23-7 effective September 14, 1969; and FAR 23.1327 and 23.1547 as amended by Amendment 23-20 effective September 1, 1977.

10. ateamer

ateamer Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    ateamer
    Preface: Not trying to argue here, but genuinely looking to learn. This is a fun discussion.

As best I can see, 23.1547 does not exist. It was deleted from Part 23 when the rewrite took effect. The current version of the FARs starts with .2000, except for three subparts that were retained, .1547 not being one of them.

Thinking further, Part 23 applies to certification standards, and guides the manufacturer rather than the pilot. The pilot’s equipment regulations are part of Part 91, which says the AFM and/or placards and markings have to be complied with.

I figure that it will come down to what the AFM and placards say as to whether a compass deviation card is required.

Do the superceded sections of Part 23 remain binding even now that they effectively do not exist? I didn’t see a subpart stating them to remain in effect.

None of this is to say that it’s not just good practice to keep a current deviation card.

11. dmspilot

dmspilot En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Display name:
    The aircraft cannot be missing equipment that was required for type certification. 91.213(d)(2)(i).

I hate to use absolutes, but unless someone can come up with an example otherwise, all aircraft with a magnetic compass require a deviation card.

12. ateamer

ateamer Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    ateamer
    Boom! And there it is - there was a suspicion I was missing something simple, and that was it.

13. SkyDog58

SkyDog58 Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Canis Non Grata
    Correct. And to expand on that a bit, one must also remember that an aircraft must be maintained in an airworthy condition. And the definition of airworthy includes conformance to its type design. And its type design is dependent on the certification standards in effect when it was certified.

14. MauleSkinner

MauleSkinner Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    MauleSkinner
    ...which brings up another question.

If an aircraft is certificated under the current version of Part 23, it sounds to me like the requirement for a compass card would fall under the “consensus standards”. How would one find our what those consensus standards are?

15. MauleSkinner

MauleSkinner Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    MauleSkinner
    And to add just a bit more information, note that the historical versions of these regulations are accessible through the FAA website.

16. Bell206

Bell206 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bell206
    Yes. The "new" Part 23 is only for new model aircraft certified today. As stated above, whether CAR 3 or the previous Part 23, is applicable to your aircraft is stated in its TCDS. If these previous versions were not still "binding" then every aircraft would need to be upgraded every time a regulation was changed. And as a side FYI, every new Cessna or Piper manufactured today is done under the older Part 23 or CAR 3 as the initial model certification was done back then. So, the compass correction card is still required under the 23.1547.

SkyDog58 likes this.
  17. Bell206

Bell206 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bell206
  18. imwithtuxedo

imwithtuxedo Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    J
    I'll get my compass deviation card calibrated and installed. Thanks for the informative discussion.