Compass Deviation Card AWOL

More important question - when was the last time you had your sextant calibrated?

Looks like it says 10-96

I assume that's 1896

Oh wait... yes that is actually the sextant calibration card from our Piper “Old Ironsides” Frigate, Multi-Sail, Sea (FMSS). October, 1796. Although that would be a year prior to her commission date. Maybe the sextant was calibrated in advance?

A usable compass card and $1.00 will get you a cuppa coffee. No matter how many times I swing mine it has annoying errors on most of the westerly headings. It it best ignored except in an emergency in lieu of the GMU-11 in the wingtip. Ok, I do check the G5 HSI against the compass, but plus or minus 10 degree is good enough. The panel mount compass in my AA-5 is just horrible. For later Grummans, they moved it to the windshield, which is magnetically better for avoiding interference.

@catmandu I cried a little when I read that. Just a little creeper of a tear out of my left eye, but I still had to turn my head and hide my emotions lest my 10 year old see the glistening moisture and shame me. Best piece of writing I have read all year. Even better than the FAR/AIM, IR ACS and Instrument Procedures Handbook.

@ anybody else who cares - I found it. I found the little raffle-ticket-looking thing. Not only was it under the seat, it was under the carpet under the seat. But I found it. I mean my friend found it... No... it was me all along. I found it. It looks like something older than the Dead Sea Scrolls. Printed on papyrus or whatever parchment was used pre-papyrus.

Here is a picture of it:

View attachment 90134

That is about as good as the resolution gets. I haven't tried to use my wife's DSLR/fancy/expensive camera yet to blow it up more, but there she is. Proof that this aircraft has a compass deviation card. I will use my all the knowledge I learned watching CSI to enlarge this and put the numbers into a nice, new, laminated card. And I'll even laminate this one just in case the FSDO wants to see an original if I get ramp checked.

Honestly, I felt a little sad when I found it this morning. Like the end of a quest. What else is there in life now that I have this ancient artifact in my possession?

Mine says "Radio on". Could be the deal breaker . :)

The one that came with the plane was passing annuals since ‘96 (1896 maybe?). Doesn’t say anything about radios. Of course back then maybe radios hadn’t been invented.

@ anybody else who cares - I found it. I found the little raffle-ticket-looking thing. Not only was it under the seat, it was under the carpet under the seat. But I found it. I mean my friend found it... No... it was me all along. I found it. It looks like something older than the Dead Sea Scrolls. Printed on papyrus or whatever parchment was used pre-papyrus.

Here is a picture of it:

View attachment 90134

Hmm, so, in summary...

For 030, steer rorschach
For 060, steer rorschach
For 090, steer rorschach... etc

yeah cool instrument. :D

Back