Commercial question PDPIC

Trcpilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Cjayfly1
Good morning, I am Working towards commercial and the 10 hour solo or authorized instructor is a confusing topic. I have about 10 hours of night flying and not sure if it’s smart to complete the solo at night without an instructor onboard. If I was to complete the flying with the authorized instructor route how would it be documented in the logbook. I understand it couldn’t be logged as dual but is it as simple as a note in the logbook remarks with the instructor certificate number and signature?

Thanks

That's correct.

but there's a catch. Under current interpretation, PDPIC is all or nothing. IOW, if you do the night solo PDPIC, you also have to do the long "solo" cross country PDPIC. That may or may not be worth the expense to you as opposed to getting more comfortable with night flight (since you have to do a night dual cross country anyway).

Good morning, I am Working towards commercial and the 10 hour solo or authorized instructor is a confusing topic. I have about 10 hours of night flying and not sure if it’s smart to complete the solo at night without an instructor onboard. If I was to complete the flying with the authorized instructor route how would it be documented in the logbook. I understand it couldn’t be logged as dual but is it as simple as a note in the logbook remarks with the instructor certificate number and signature?

Thanks

When this topic comes up, I almost always interject my opinion, and this time is no different. If you do not have any insurance restrictions about soloing, then you SHOULD do the solo flights solo. If you feel like you need a CFI along as a security blanket because you're not comfortable flying at night or flying a longer XC, then you are not ready to be a commercial pilot. If that is the case, then you should seek out additional dual instruction until you are comfortable, but then go meet the requirements by yourself.

Thanks for the insight. I am going to do more dual flights at night time to prepare for this trip. Thank you for the insight. I really appreciate it!!

Thanks for the insight. I am going to do more dual flights at night time to prepare for this trip. Thank you for the insight. I really appreciate it!!
Which trip are you referring to?

Back