Commercial Cross Country

James D Hudson

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
JamesDHudson
Quick question on the 100 NM 2 hour VFR cross countries.
If I flew 120 NM 1.2 one way, stayed over night and flew the same back the next day, is that still acceptable to count?

You know you can fly BEYOND that right?

Never got how people build time flying in their local area vs doing a cross the country cross country, I mean you'll be a waaaay better pilot for it.

The answer to your question is yes, you can fly out one day and back the next. Just a reminder though, this is a dual XC so hopefully you were planning to take an instructor with you.

Misread the requirement. The cross countries are dual n this thread is almost useless.

Fly one leg during the day and fly the return at night, so you get both requirements.

Quick question on the 100 NM 2 hour VFR cross countries.
If I flew 120 NM 1.2 one way, stayed over night and flew the same back the next day, is that still acceptable to count?

Also realize that there is no requirement for it to be VFR. That used to be required, but not for several years.

Fly one leg during the day and fly the return at night, so you get both requirements.

I often do that, however it would then have to be 2+ hours each way (i.e. not the flight the OP asked about).

They have truly dumbed down the standards.

I "think" the 2-hour day and night cross countries have been there since 1978. (Though I admit I could be wrong on that.) They removed the "must be VFR" wording from it in 2009, but I don't see how that makes it any easier. What standards were you thinking of?

Used to be 3 landing points, each at least 100 NM apart, totaling at least 300 NM, I believe.

The long cross country is still required.

Yes but not the distance as it was in the past, 150 now vs 300 in the past.

(i) 5 hours of solo cross-country time;

(ii) One solo cross country flight of 150 nautical miles total distance, with full-stop landings at three points, and one segment of the flight consisting of a straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles between the takeoff and landing locations;

(ii) One solo cross country flight of 150 nautical miles total distance, with full-stop landings at three points, and one segment of the flight consisting of a straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles between the takeoff and landing locations;
Not sure where you got that but for the CSEL initial you still have the long cross country. 61.129

i) One cross-country flight of not less than 300 nautical miles total distance, with landings at a minimum of three points, one of which is a straight-line distance of at least 250 nautical miles from the original departure point. However, if this requirement is being met in Hawaii, the longest segment need only have a straight-line distance of at least 150 nautical miles; and...

Which reg did you get that from?

That isn't even the commercial xc. That's the private.

It was for the Private Cert when I trained for mine. Well, pretty sure it was. Now you have me doubting myself. I'll see if I can find something that goes back that far.

That isn't even the commercial xc. That's the private.

Yes,that's what I think it was when I did it, for Pvt, 3oo miles then, 150 now.r

As a student I flew from McGuire AFB to Harrisburgh 118 NM, then H'burgh to Easton 112 NM, back to McGuire 111 NM. So it was 300 NM requirement for a student pilot in 1976 when I did it.

I know this thread is for commercial, got off track as per POA lol

Last edited:
It was for the Private Cert when I trained for mine. Well, pretty sure it was. Now you have me doubting myself. I'll see if I can find something that goes back that far.
Don’t doubt yourself. The private long solo used to be longer. I did one of those too. Even had to divert for weather.

Don’t doubt yourself. The private long solo used to be longer. I did one of those too. Even had to divert for weather.

Thanks. I added my actual long XC post 19 above and it totals over 300 NM, so that verifies the long XC has been reduced. Not saying it makes one a better pilot because of it at all.

Thanks. I added my actual long XC post 19 above and it totals over 300 NM, so that verifies the long XC has been reduced. Not saying it makes one a better pilot because of it at all.
The change was in the big 1997 rewrite. Before then, the long student pilot solo was:
One flight of at least 300 nautical miles with landings at a minimum of three points, one of which is at least 100 nautical miles from the original departure point.

The change was in the big 1997 rewrite. Before then, the long student pilot solo was:
One flight of at least 300 nautical miles with landings at a minimum of three points, one of which is at least 100 nautical miles from the original departure point.

That sounds familiar too, maybe I just picked 100+ mile legs.

what is the maximum number of airway waypoints a flight computer can read? Can non stop around the world be possible or will the fmc reject 200 waypoints or higher?

The private long solo used to be longer. I did one of those too.

I had to do the 300NM twice. Did it, then quit flying for awhile, then went to finish my private and the instructor was looking through the logbook and noticed my instructor hadn't put an endorsement for it in my logbook for the first one. A few years between so no finding my former instructor.

You can also bring a CFI with you on that long CPL solo, which IMHO makes it NOT a solo.

Yep, that's the way that regulation reads. Remember the reason why this CFI dummy clause exists is because it was getting near impossible to rent multiengine airplanes solo. I guess they figured if you were able to do any of the hours solo, you can do them all solo.

Yep, that's the way that regulation reads. Remember the reason why this CFI dummy clause exists is because it was getting near impossible to rent multiengine airplanes solo. I guess they figured if you were able to do any of the hours solo, you can do them all solo.

Some places even won't let you rent a retractable solo. If I remember correctly you used to have to do the single engine solo unless I just read it wrong back in the day. Now you can do that with an instructor.

Some places even won't let you rent a retractable solo. If I remember correctly you used to have to do the single engine solo unless I just read it wrong back in the day. Now you can do that with an instructor.
You remember correctly. It started with the commercial multi then got expanded. But you never had to do the commercial single in a retract.

You don't need any complex solo time.

I said it was earlier, just comparing the old requirement with the current one.

Yeah- sorry... my phone hadn’t updated the thread when I posted that. “You are correct, sir,” as my pal from Star Search used to quip.

The SINGLE ENGINE commercial doesn't require you to solo a retract. The only requirement for a retract is required to be DUAL. You can do everything other than those ten hours of dual in a 172.

I couldn’t rent the ME solo. My CFI sat there and played dumb the entire flight. I think he asked me what I wanted to eat in Rapid City and we remarked on some interesting winds aloft.

Back