Comm Rating

Are you studying now for written test, or the oral part of the check ride?

I'm studying for the Com written now, and I'm using the Gleim Commercial Written Test book and the online quizes. So far, I'm finding it a great review of the material.

so back to the OPs question - this is what I used. Took and passed written a few weeks ago. I liked Gleim.

I am curious what your take on this is. Before the new proposed rule, a safety pilot with Basicmed also had to be PIC. By the same argument, I would have assumed that the a CFI with a Basicmed giving instrument instruction would also have to designated as PIC. But the language in 61.23 is a bit confusing. It says except when operating under Basicmed, a flight instructor needs a 3rd class medical when acting as PIC or as a required crewmember. That seems to suggest that the CFI is allowed to serve as required crewmember (not PIC) with Basicmed.
AFAIK not many have caught the CFI "or as a required crewmember" language. I never really checked in detail, but my impression is that it may be the only place where the BasicMed regulation varied from the statute. Other than, can't unless designated as PIC, I've come across two takes on the question and only from two people.

Mine was that the CFI language in 61.23 authorized a CFI to act as safety pilot under BasicMed without being designated PIC. I never said it publicly because I did not want any CFIs to get in trouble relying on my interpretation. I still don't but the pending (not proposed) change makes me less concerned about the risk of mentioning it now (if you asked me a month ago I would have avoided answering :))

The other was not mine and did not have anything to do with the 61.23 language. The FAA and the NTSB have repeatedly said that a CFI giving instruction is "always deemed to be PIC," so it was ok. I'm not a fan of that one.

TAnother example, can you show that a safety pilot needs at least a 3rd class medical (that got changed a few weeks ago, but prior to that).

Not correct. You could be SP with Basic Med, but only if you were the PIC.

Offshore Oil and Gas support with a two-pilot IFR helicopter is done every day, every flight. The weather does not care if you can see or not. :p

Night requires IFR correct? Heard from a couple guys that flew GoM that they don’t do NVGs out there.

Night requires IFR correct? Heard from a couple guys that flew GoM that they don’t do NVGs out there.
Yes. A non IFR commercial pilot can’t fly for hire at night or 50 miles beyond starting airport in day VFR.

Of courses for non hire flying those restrictions don’t apply.

Yes. A non IFR commercial pilot can’t fly for hire at night or 50 miles beyond starting airport in day VFR.

I’m referring to the type of operation, not the pilot’s qualifications. Off shore companies require IFR certs for VFR single pilot positions yet they only allow 2 pilot IFR aircraft to fly out to the oil rigs at night.

Last edited:

FWIW, the restriction I suspect you’re referring to does not apply to all categories.

That was the point, and that is what got changed in the new rule.

Some people were saying you could not SP with Basic Med. Which you could, but only as PIC. The change allows the SP not being the PIC.

Most times, when I fly with or as an SP, the SP is the PIC. So both can log PIC.

FWIW, the restriction I suspect you’re referring to does not apply to all categories.

Perhaps, as I was speaking to airplane and powered lift categories.

14 CFR § 61.133 - Commercial pilot privileges and limitations.

b) Limitations.

(1) A person who applies for a commercial pilot certificate with an airplane category or powered-lift category rating and does not hold an instrument rating in the same category and class will be issued a commercial pilot certificate that contains the limitation, “The carriage of passengers for hire in (airplanes) (powered-lifts) on cross-country flights in excess of 50 nautical miles or at night is prohibited.”

Back