Coffee

How shiny the beans are depends on the intensity of the roast. Lightly roasted beans will be matte. Those that are roasted darker will be oily. Of course, if you abuse the already roasted coffee it can change its appearance. We always use ours within a few days of roasting.

What about carbon dioxide and it’s role in forming cream?

My understanding is that the water actually becomes carbonated as it passes through the beans, assuming they've been freshly roasted and ground. The CO2 offgasses pretty rapidly, which is why freshly roasted and freshly-ground coffee produces the best crema.

Should roasted beans be shiny or matte before grinding? Greasy, oily, or dry in appearance? ;)

In my opinion, darker roasts should be oily and aromatic. Dark roasts that appear dry most likely are stale.

Rich

You are right to dislike the burnt coffee that Starbucks serves.. it's disgusting...a terrible product... But it must have crack in it.. given the lines..

Go find a nice medium roast..believe it or not, Dunkin donuts' normal blend is a very smooth medium roast... Order it with half and half, no sugar... See if you enjoy that...

You are right to dislike the burnt coffee that Starbucks serves.. it's disgusting...a terrible product... But it must have crack in it.. given the lines..

To some, a Starbucks cup in your hand is a fashion statement.

Why do they say to start with cold water when brewing coffee? How does the coffee know the difference after the water has been heated to 204.9944 or whatever the optimal brewing temperature is?

Ask a lawyer. If the instructions said to use hot water, someone would boil it before pouring into their brewer, spill it on themselves and sue someone because the spill wasn't their fault and they now deserve millions . . . . .

Last edited:
Is it just an acquired taste or do people actually like flavor of it? I love the way it smells, but hate the way it tastes. Way too bitter for my liking, yet I can eat kale with no problem...weird.

I started in middle school with coffee with a ton of milk and sugar in it. In high school I was in sports and we had nutrition plans which didn't allow us to have a lot of sugar. So it was just coffee and cream. Then in college I went on a huge weight loss kick and I started just drinking black coffee to help me wake up and stay alert and after that I developed a taste for it. I love black coffee now and I'll drink it all day long. And I'll drink French or Italian roast coffee. My mom tells me that I inherited that from my Grandma on her side, who had a pot of coffee going all day long that in my mom's words "was so strong it probably could have jumped up and run away."

I am experimenting with aerating coffee by pouring coffee back and forth with 2 cups and most recently pouring coffee into a hardened plastic water bottle or metal container, closing the lid, and vigorously shaking it. It makes my coffee very frothy, but I am wondering if I am still "aerating" my coffee if I just pour it into a container, closing the lid, and shaking it?

I am experimenting with aerating coffee by pouring coffee back and forth with 2 cups and most recently pouring coffee into a hardened plastic water bottle or metal container, closing the lid, and vigorously shaking it. It makes my coffee very frothy, but I am wondering if I am still "aerating" my coffee if I just pour it into a container, closing the lid, and shaking it?

Technique is less important than the air quality. What type of air are you using? Ocean air, mountain air, countryside air, general-purpose household air,...? I prefer mountain air, but many USN vets like ocean air with a drop or two of diesel fuel in the coffee.

Wow... The USB out on the 2K+ model and the ability to store and save the roasting routine is awesome!

I gotta get one of these. I already have an great source for fresh beans...

Woo hoo!

About once a week I drink a Monster and do a big gout of housework. Monster is vile, I can't imagine drinking anything that tastes like that. Still, I have to limit myself to once a week max, otherwise I'd drink it all the time. I like caffeine as much as anyone.

Coffee is vile, you get used to drinking it because of the jolt of caffeine and you grow to like it. If coffee had no caffeine no one would start drinking it. Sort of the same thing as beer and bourbon, they're truly vile but they have alcohol, so we drink them and grow to like them. Had they no kick you'd never pick up the habit.

About once a week I drink a Monster and do a big gout of housework. Monster is vile, I can't imagine drinking anything that tastes like that. Still, I have to limit myself to once a week max, otherwise I'd drink it all the time. I like caffeine as much as anyone.

Coffee is vile, you get used to drinking it because of the jolt of caffeine and you grow to like it. If coffee had no caffeine no one would start drinking it. Sort of the same thing as beer and bourbon, they're truly vile but they have alcohol, so we drink them and grow to like them. Had they no kick you'd never pick up the habit.

That's pretty much my view of coffee. If calories were no object I'd bury the taste in a mocha drink, and I used to do that. Now I just suffer the taste of plain coffee.

Why anyone would drink decaf is beyond me, as it seems like some form of Catholic self-loathing punishment.

I'm very sensitive to caffeine so I drink decaf 90% of the time...because I like it. Now, decaf doesn't taste as good but that's not due to being a caffeine addict, it's because some of the flavor is washed away in the decaffeination process. Only vile coffee is vile, there's not some kind of mass delusion. What a stupid and ignorant thing to write.

I'm very sensitive to caffeine so I drink decaf 90% of the time...because I like it. Now, decaf doesn't taste as good but that's not due to being a caffeine addict, it's because some of the flavor is washed away in the decaffeination process. Only vile coffee is vile, there's not some kind of mass delusion. What a stupid and ignorant thing to write.
I've had coffee that was supposed to be the best of the best. Grown by Unicorns on the mountains of Valhalla or some such. Without lots of cream and enough sugar to turn Santa diabetic it tasted truly vile. With all that it tasted less vile. Like I said, had you started with decaf you'd have never developed the habit.

I've had coffee that was supposed to be the best of the best. Grown by Unicorns on the mountains of Valhalla or some such. Without lots of cream and enough sugar to turn Santa diabetic it tasted truly vile. With all that it tasted less vile. Like I said, had you started with decaf you'd have never developed the habit.

Vile TO YOU. Other than that, you are completely wrong.

Only because you're used to it and crave the caffeine. Had it none you'd never have started drinking it.
Utter nonsense. I liked it when I was 3 years old, drinking it (with lots of milk) with my Mom in the morning.

You seem to assume that everyone on the planet is identical and has the same tastes. The fact that creamed corn even exists disproves that. How about we just acknowledge that your preferences are perhaps not universal? I know that may be a bit of a blow, but reality is harsh that way.

Your coffee perhaps. My coffee is sublime.

:)
I really enjoy coffee just for the taste of the coffee, not for the caffeine. No cream or sugar for me. But I only drink it in the mornings. I don't want to drink decaf, but caffeine bothers me at night if I drink it later in the day.

Sweet Maria's, shown in @James_Dean 's post, is a good supplier of green beans... I've used them a few times, and there's some others too. Roasting your own beans need NOT require spending thousands of dollars on gear. I did my first roast using an old fireplace popcorn popper. The thing pictured below works GREAT... very even roasts, easy to see the beans as you go, and a good introduction, although you can only roast enough for two good sized mugs at a time. I use a hand crank heavy duty/heavy-walled popcorn "Whirlypop" kind of thing on an alcohol stove in the garage now, and I can do a pound at a time with that although usually I stick w/ 8 oz batches.
We've found that the coffee tastes best the second and third day after roasting; "fresh" is relative. After that, it does deteriorate, but it does get smoother, richer, and better "integrated" during the first 24-36 hours of resting after roasting.
Roasting green beans is a really fun way of exploring the almost infinite variety of flavors coffee has to offer. Between the wide variety of characteristics of beans from various parts of the world, to the huge differences in what can be brought out by roasting to different degrees or heat profiles, you could drink several cups every day for your whole life and never drink the same thing twice... we've made everything from coffee that has tasted more like an herbal Thai tea to coffee as winey as the most tannic Cabernet, to a good ol' creamy-as-chocolate cup'o'joe, and everything in between, including some badly burnt awful batches that were still better than the garbage Starbucks foists on the masses.
I haven't read the whole thread, so I'm assuming specific brewing techniques have already been discussed... that's another obsession which I'll avoid writing about for.... for now... ;).. for fear of inadvertent repetition.coffee.jpg

My mom and dad both drank their coffee with cream and sugar, so that's the way I started drinking it.

When I enlisted in the Air Force and wound up on the midnight shift at a remote reconnaissance satellite tracking station, we'd occasionally run out of cream and/or sugar so I'd have to drink it black. At first I thought it tasted awful, but I quickly got used to it and now won't drink it any other way. I prefer strong dark French Roast, and have no doubt it's an acquired taste.

coffee-jpg.75916
That's the biggest weed pipe I've ever seen.

Utter nonsense. I liked it when I was 3 years old, drinking it (with lots of milk) with my Mom in the morning.

You seem to assume that everyone on the planet is identical and has the same tastes. The fact that creamed corn even exists disproves that. How about we just acknowledge that your preferences are perhaps not universal? I know that may be a bit of a blow, but reality is harsh that way.

In my family, they put coffee in our baby bottles.

Rich

About once a week I drink a Monster and do a big gout of housework. Monster is vile, I can't imagine drinking anything that tastes like that.

The Original Monster is yucky, but the Zero Ultra in the white can is my coffee substitute... I have never been able to tolerate even the smell of Red Bull!

I don’t drink any coffee. I was told I’d drink coffee in high school. I was told I’d drink coffee in college. I was told I’d drink coffee when I got my CFI. I was told I’d drink coffee once I got to the regionals. I was told I’d drink coffee when I become captain. Maybe I’ll start if I make it to a major:)

OMG! Coffee snobs! Aficionados! I drink coffee. It comes from a can. I drink 2 pots a day (used to be 3+). I like French roast, because I can use a little less. I have a Bodum insulated ss travel mug that is a French press, in case I'm somewhere that there's no coffee available. I hate Starbucks. I like Dunkin Donuts. I use cream (milk) and sweetener. I'll use sugar if I have to but usually don't. My stomach thanks me for the cream and weak coffee, as I don't have ulcers. I can, and do, drink coffee right up until bedtime. Also, if I use sugar, this would be just one long sentence. Sweetener allows me the luxury of using some punctuation. Paragraphs are another matter entirely.

OMG! Coffee snobs! Aficionados! I drink coffee. It comes from a can. I drink 2 pots a day (used to be 3+). I like French roast, because I can use a little less. I have a Bodum insulated ss travel mug that is a French press, in case I'm somewhere that there's no coffee available. I hate Starbucks. I like Dunkin Donuts. I use cream (milk) and sweetener. I'll use sugar if I have to but usually don't. My stomach thanks me for the cream and weak coffee, as I don't have ulcers. I can, and do, drink coffee right up until bedtime. Also, if I use sugar, this would be just one long sentence. Sweetener allows me the luxury of using some punctuation. Paragraphs are another matter entirely.

^^^You are doing it right.^^^ :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Only because you're used to it and crave the caffeine. Had it none you'd never have started drinking it.
To use your logic, people who love black coffee must also love energy drinks, since we only crave caffeine, not taste. Wake up and smell the coffee, caffeine ain't all there is to it.

Nauga,
who enjoys a well-brewed cup of decaf now and then

To use your logic, people who love black coffee must also love energy drinks, since we only crave caffeine, not taste. Wake up and smell the coffee, caffeine ain't all there is to it.

Nauga,
who enjoys a well-brewed cup of decaf now and then
If you think people are drinking energy drinks because they taste good I've a nice bridge in New York I'd like to sell you.

And nobody would drink decaf.

Crazy concept some people fail to grasp: Different people have different tastes. I am back on my low carb high protein diet. Some of the protein bars are absolutely disgusting. Some I love. One of the protein shakes I drink are awesome, and the GNC mix it yourself I am not a fan of.

I don't drink coffee but twice a year, not because I don't like it. I just don't, but coffee flavored anything I love.

And nobody would drink decaf.

Or use it in recipes, or...

Some people's worlds don't exist beyond what they can touch.

If you think people are drinking energy drinks because they taste good I've a nice bridge in New York I'd like to sell you.
See, you get it. I don't like the taste of energy drinks. I like the taste of coffee. QED.

Nauga,
and one man's meat

Have you ever considered that you are unique, special, and cannot be duplicated, your opinions are highly specific to you, and others have different views that have equal merit? If not, please, please do some critical introspective evaluations of your persona. It’s ok that you have ideas and opinions that don’t align with others. We need a dissenting voice now and then to achieve balance and to consider other options. I mean, hey- you seem kind of vile, but apparently someone married you, so you can’t be all bad after all. ;)

Back