Cockpit CO monitor mount

Angle228

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Angle228
Can an airplane owner mount something like the AV8 inspector pro to the airplane panel or does it have to be done by a A&P.

Something like this

I have a perfect blank spot for it on my panel but want to be legal about mounting.

Thanks

If you use velcro tape, it's not a permanent mount, so no issue. My understanding is that if you screw it into the panel, it becomes a minor alteration and requires an A&P sign off. I clip mine to an unused microphone holder using the shirt clip on the sensorcon. Again a temporary attachment, so no sign-off needed.

Not an A&P, just SGOTI

I have a perfect blank spot for it on my panel but want to be legal about mounting.
As mentioned if you stick with velcro or a suction cup you can mount it on the panel. Then during your next annual have your mechanic make a simple upgrade to the mount for a more permanat solution.

In the past, I would do the same for customers who liked to "accessorize" their cockpits.

Velcro. Works great for our Sensorconn (one second unit already)

I modified the included mount and stuck it on with some VHB tape.

Same stuff I linked in post #5, except it’s not a large roll.
I am familiar with that stuff. I actually even have some if it out at the hanger. I'll give that a try.

just me probably, but velcro adhesive seems to give up the ghost every time I try to use it in an airplane. hot weather just makes the glue into a messy slurry... then it lets go.

but velcro adhesive seems to give up the ghost every time I try to use it in an airplane.
Buy velcro without adhesive and install with a commercial grade glue like Contact 10, etc.

The adhesive on the 3M Dual-lock fastener can withstand a bit of heat. I would prep the surface with 3M adhesive promotor 111. I used Dual-Lock primed with 111 extensively on race cars in a high vibration/hot environment and it bonded well to carbon epoxy composites, painted/raw aluminum and gelcoated surfaces. It is bada$$. However, for an object as light as a CO monitor I suggest 3M Hook and Loop material prepping the surface with 111 prior to application. The Dual-Lock can be tough to pop off for a battery change, more so than necessary. I mounted mine with Hook and Loop tape.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40065492/

The Dual-Lock can be tough to pop off for a battery change
The sensorcon doesn't have a user-replaceable battery. I have gotten in the habit of taking the detector home with me, though, if only so I don't leave it in the plane after forgetting to turn it off.

The sensorcon doesn't have a user-replaceable battery. I have gotten in the habit of taking the detector home with me, though, if only so I don't leave it in the plane after forgetting to turn it off.
Ahhh. My monitor has a user replaceable battery (lasts at least 9 months). For your application Dual-Lock would be the better choice.

shameless plug:

The Forensics Detector CO monitor comes with a slide-in plastic mount that can be attached to the desired location with velcro or Dual-Lock. The unit has a replaceable CR2032 battery and the detector slips out of the mount easily when required. I mount mine on the center console of my AA-5 where is is easy to see and hear.

My Sensorcon Inspector has a user-replaceable battery. Remove four small screws in the back, take the back cover off, and replace the battery with a CR123A. The whole process takes five minutes.

Fwiw, I had a sensorcon for three years. I never turned it off, and the battery finally died on the way to Oshkosh, where I was planning to buy a delta Zulu headset to replace it. It had been flashing "EOL" for a year, but still worked as far as I could tell. (It would read some CO during slow flight)

I also had mine mounted with velcro, but it didn't come with a mount like that. I feel you could make an argument that screwing that to the panel falls under the "interior" work that an owner can do, but that's between you and your IA. The w&b would be negligible, so you could even log it if it made everyone feel better.

Ah, you're right, I was mixing it up. The user can replace the battery, but EOL means you need to send it in for calibration.

Ah, you're right, I was mixing it up. The user can replace the battery, but EOL means you need to send it in for calibration.
Yeah, but all CO sensors have an EOL date and are therefore in a similar boat.

All these portable CO detectors are based on electrochemical detection, using an anode behind a nonpolar gas-permeable membrane that senses an enhanced oxidation current when CO is present. A battery provides the voltage gradient (about +0.9 V) and the small microcurrent required for the devices to work. These detectors have an expiration date because the internal electrolyte eventually evaporates, rendering the detector inaccurate or non-functional. If the sensor module is not replaceable(e.g. the new Lightspeed headset), the unit is essentially disposable, and should be discarded beyond the expiration date.

I have the Forensics Detectors CO monitor ($99 on Amazon) mounted with it's 3M tape just below my PFD. Saved me the $1000 to replace my panel mounted unit and I have more confidence in it's accuracy. Once after an annual, it alarmed due to solvent they used to clean the Powerflo exhaust system. Showed exactly how many ppm, allowing me to make an informed decision to return to the field for further cleaning. Highly recommend it.

Trivia question - where was this picture taken?

IMG_9767.jpg

CO Detector

Last edited:
All these portable CO detectors are based on electrochemical detection, using an anode behind a nonpolar gas-permeable membrane that senses an enhanced oxidation current when CO is present. A battery provides the voltage gradient (about +0.9 V) and the small microcurrent required for the devices to work. These detectors have an expiration date because the internal electrolyte eventually evaporates, rendering the detector inaccurate or non-functional. If the sensor module is not replaceable(e.g. the new Lightspeed headset), the unit is essentially disposable, and should be discarded beyond the expiration date.
Do you know why lightspeed has a 10 year life on their detectors while sensorcon only lasts 2?

Seated at a keyboard in Johns Creek, GA?
Looks like left seat in a DA40...
I'm a flatlander so I don't know no better, but are winds a concern at 2k AGL? O2? Any equipment needed due to the lack of proximity to civilization?

I have the Forensics Detectors CO monitor ($99 on Amazon) mounted with it's 3M tape just below my PFD. Saved me the $1000 to replace my panel mounted unit and I have more confidence in it's accuracy. Once after an annual, it alarmed due to solvent they used to clean the Powerflo exhaust system. Showed exactly how many ppm, allowing me to make an informed decision to return to the field for further cleaning. Highly recommend it.

Trivia question - where was this picture taken?

View attachment 120078

CO Detector
Did somebody forget to set the Kollsman on their backup altimeter?

Do you know why lightspeed has a 10 year life on their detectors while sensorcon only lasts 2?
Probably depends on the electrolyte volume and electrode design. 10 years is pretty long for an electrochemical CO sensor. Home CO sensors are supposedly 10 years, but I just had one die after 7. Main thing to know is they are not lifetime devices.

Back