clearance delivery - old fashioned pen?

olasek

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
olasek
Do you still use old fashioned pen/paper for copying clearance delivery or use some scratchpad app on Ipad or some other tablet?

Data Link and printer. I can't begin to tell you when the last time was I actually wrote down a clearance.

Pen and paper. The only time I use my Ipad in flight is when I want to take pictures or videos.

I gots all kinds of stupid technology within reach and love all the latest gadgets.

...but a pen an kneeboard are still the way to go for me.

scrap piece of paper and pen when datalink isn't available

I have a spiral bound book that triples as my log book, VOR check, clearance, Hobbs time, IMC/VMC, landings, Day/Night, Actual...

So yeah, I write it all down...

A Pilot Razor Point on a copy of an approach plate.
Kneeboard iPad combo that has a clipboard to hold it.

pencil & paper, always start out with two pencils just in case the lead breaks on the first one. Paper is a 5 x 7 legal notepad clipped on the right side of my lapboard with paper "L" chart clipped on the left side.

CRAFT on a 5x3 post-it. The one thing I haven't changed since using Foreflight.

Small legal pad on the front of my iPad mini case

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Do you still use old fashioned pen/paper for copying clearance delivery
I use one of those newfangled gel pens rather than an old-fashioned ball-point, but the paper is an old-fashioned 5x8 mini-legal pad, and as such, I'm still doing it the same way as when I trained for my IR 43 years ago. It ain't broke...

Last edited:
Post-it note pad or a yoke note if I am flying for work and a Skilcraft B3 Aviator pencil/pen.

I have a small spiral notebook. I use whatever pen I've got kicking around, usually one of the gel roller balls but it could be anything. I have a fine collection of fountain pens from vintage ones (including a Parker 51 the same color and manufactured in the same quarter year as my Navion for logging P-51 time) but I tend not to use them in flight.

Two things typically get written down:

Initial clearance (or reroutes)
and when I brief the approach I write down the essentials: any stepdown alts, mins, and the essentials of the missed. Arcane backup for my use of Foreflight and the ChartView in the MX20.

I still use a kneeboard with a pen. When flying right seat in someones plane and I don't have the kneeboard I feel like I left home without my wallet.

I do like to short hand anything I get from approach, from frequency changes to new altitudes or headings. I guess it helps retrace the flight for my flight journal but mainly I have the info without having to ask again.

For the folks who use the iPad, how has it worked for you?

I have a box full of kneeboards and clipboards that I never use. They just don't work well in my plane. If I'm solo, I just put the stuff on the right seat otherwise it's "Here honey hold this." She almost always has the iPad anyhow as she follows along in Foreflight even though I'm not using that for navigation.

Data link when I can... Scratchpad in the ARINC app if I think the clearance will be simple. pen and paper otherwise, and definitely if I hear 'advise when ready to copy full route clearance'.

Do you still use old fashioned pen/paper for copying clearance delivery or use some scratchpad app on Ipad or some other tablet?

I have an iPad mini on the yoke and an iPad Air in my kneeboard. They both have flip-over clipboards so I still use pen and paper.

Mechanical pencil and paper.

Simple 6x8 spiral notepad and fill out using CRAFT then the date, time off ect go on the same page.

I also track my tank switch time so I can always recalculate endurance if needed. The pen slides down in the spiral and stays with the pad. Always works doesnt need batteries or re-booting and never gets erased.:dunno:

I overpaid for an Ipad Air case that has a clipboard with paper on the front so I could right down clearances, frequencies, etc.

I'd like to see the picture of that in your Cessna 195, Greg. :D

Yeah, I know you're talking about the B777 you fly for a living. Guess you don't do IFR in the 195.

I havent flown IFR in a GA plane in 28 or 30 years. My motto for flying outside of the Airline is "If it ain't fun, I ain't going". Served me well so far.

FWIW, the 195 is in Australia now.

Data Link and printer. I can't begin to tell you when the last time was I actually wrote down a clearance.

I'd like to see the picture of that in your Cessna 195, Greg. :D

Yeah, I know you're talking about the B777 you fly for a living. Guess you don't do IFR in the 195.

I havent flown IFR in a GA plane in 28 or 30 years. My motto for flying outside of the Airline is "If it ain't fun, I ain't going". Served me well so far.

FWIW, the 195 is in Australia now.

What is this data link you speak of? Haven't seen such a thing in anything I fly. :D

Like Ron, pen and paper. Works fine. No batteries to die. And while I agree that a long trip in the clag in a C-172 or C-182 isn't my idea of fun, having the ticket and clearance to get through a layer to allow the rest of the trip to be in the clear is fine with me. Minimal work for more fun. :yes:

I knew you had the 195 up for sale. I guess I'm glad it sold, but what are you going to replace it with?

I've tried various programs and styli to take notes on an electronic device. But the tablet still does navigation on its yoke mount and the kneeboard still holds paper for clearances, frequencies, ATIS, notes, etc.

ForeFlight scratch pad and Notability is always open for longer things. After a flight out of Myrtle Beach last summer when sweaty hands made writing with my wet finger almost impossible, I mostly use a stylus in flight.

But a lot of folks have problems writing anything on the iPad (I think it has to do with whether they learned how to write properly on a blackboard or white board) so YRMV.

Last edited:
I use an iPad with The "penultimate" app.

I use a Pen mostly, FF on occasion.

My instructor, however, used ForeFlight's scratchpad gadget.

I used the scratch pad on WingX a lot - it is quite a bit better than FF's. It has undo, multiple pages, and the legibility was way better. But I am back on FF now.

Last edited:
Pen and paper here. I suck at making anything legible on my iPad scratchpad.

Paper and pen (usually a hotel-branded pen) for me. Often an 8.5x11 folded in half, but also have 5x8 pad..

Back