Clear Coat Paint or Not

2nd505th

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
2nd505th
I have 2 shops that I'm considering - Hawk and Sureflight, both highly rated but they have opposite positions on the use of clearcoat so not sure which way to go. My car is 10 years old with CC and looks great. Sureflight says it helps with longevity. Hawk says it can decrease longevity and well applied paint lasts 20 years and is not shineier with a top of CC. I've seen CC failures - but assume something was not right in the application and that that does not happen much anymore. I've always assumed that the finish of cars painted with clearcoat will far outlast those that do not have it. Wanted to see if there is any real world experience/advise.

My single stage Imron is 23 years old and looks like new. I’d do single stage again.

Here's an earlier thread.

My single stage is 46 years old, and while it doesn't quite exactly look like new anymore, it's still awful good and I'd do single stage again.

Having had planes painted with JetGlo and Imron, I would select JetGlo. More shine from beginning to end. JetGlo metallic colors with clear coat are very sharp, I don’t believe I would clear coat white.

Keeping the finish clean and using a non abrasive wax is key to the longevity of the paint.

My plane was painted by Hawk in 2014. It has been hangered. Most people think it is freshly painted.

I have a number of cars that were clear coat paint systems going back to the 80s. None have had a clear coat failure.

I have a number of cars that were clear coat paint systems going back to the 80s. None have had a clear coat failure.
Of all things, I have 2 Japanese cars currently in the fleet, a '94 and '05, (Suzuki and Toyota) and both have massive clear coat failures...

Clear coat is much more durable if proper application and mixing formula is followed. Brand quality varies immensely and there are different quality finishes even within brands. Good clear coats are expensive $600 + a gallon today, base colors are even more. For a normal sized vehicle, a gallon of clear should do it. I think where people run into issues with durability is mixing brands and scrimping on hardeners. Can't use Dupont base with PPG clear. Need to use the same brand from the metal to clear coat, follow dry times and preparation. What generally kills paint over time is UV. A vehicle stored for much of the year could expect the finish to last a lifetime. Know I am new here, I owned an auto body business for about 20 years.

Wanted to see if there is any real world experience/advise.
The majority of the paints I applied or had applied on aircraft were single stage polyurethanes. The only time I used a clear coat was with metallics but only to aid in the finish surface. Down the road if you need to repair an area or touch up areas clear coats tend to make a decent final product more difficult. A single stage can be blended in with the proper techniques and made to look "factory."

If I were painting an aircraft I owned I would be using single stage paint. As mentioned, future repairs and blending will be easier to deal with.

Been in the paint and body business for a day or two. (since 1982). I have allways preferred single stage for solid colors. And the reason for using clearcoat on metalic colors is to make application of the color coat easier, because you don't have to put it on wet and shiny, just get it on even and streak free, the clear will make it shine. Single stage can be easily blended, and "melted" in, but a base/clear allows for the color coat to be blended, then clear the panel. No need for the finesse of melting the blend edge, as there will be none. I did have an issue once with a single stage urethane chalking up badly (about six years of living outside full time). It got so bad that I scuffed it and shot a coat of clear on it. I don't know what happened, and PPG is stumped as well.

You’re getting excellent advice from the group. I recently had a customer shopping for a high end paint job on a Bonanza. He went through the same debate. One shop recommended CC with another opposing.
Thankfully he opted to pass on the clear coat. Problem with it is matching later after the sun has changed its appearance slightly.
I’m no professional painter but the ones I know and trust don’t recommend clear coating.
I’ve had great results with quality single stage. JetGlow is top notch. You won’t be disappointed in the appearance. If applied properly it’s as shiny as anything!

Just painted my Decathlon with PPG Delfleet single stage urethane. Very pleased with results. Repairs are more common on fabric covers, so that was the driving factor. But I would lean single stage for anything other than a show plane.

CC does look great until it doesn't and when it starts to go it can be a real mess. Granted, it's tough stuff but that means it's tough to get off when it fails and sooner or later it's going to fail just like any other coating. But still I don't think it's a clear cut answer, that's why you have two different opinions. They are constantly improving the formulas of these things. Ten years ago I'd definitely say no but it ain't ten years ago now.

Just painted my Decathlon with PPG Delfleet single stage urethane. Very pleased with results. Repairs are more common on fabric covers, so that was the driving factor. But I would lean single stage for anything other than a show plane.
That DelFleet is some interesting stuff. It was formulated as an industrial urethane, for tractors, heavy equipment and such. But It works quite well for just about anything.

If one coat is good? Two coats is heavier.

Imron and Aerothane fan, depending on metal or fabric.

That DelFleet is some interesting stuff. It was formulated as an industrial urethane, for tractors, heavy equipment and such. But It works quite well for just about anything.
It is the coating used at the American Champion factory. I used their covering process to recover my 8KCAB. A few A&P's on the ACA Facebook group were indignant that I was not following an STC. They couldn't grasp that the TC specifications were legal.

Yes, If you follow the TC, there's no need for an Stc. ;)

Back