Cirrus transition training tips

3. Landings - Don't flare like you would in a 172. No need - just fly her down.

No basis for this statement. A Cirrus will land real nice in a big nose high attitude, and use a lot less runway than many seem to think. I would say there IS a need to do this. Lot fewer Cirrus drivers would have run off the end of the runway if they learned to approach and touch down slower.

over in the wait for it... COPA Cabana !!!!!! AHHHHHHH I kill me.

Quotes like this are what enable me to wade through all the BS and naysaying on Cirrus threads. Thanks for the laugh. You can't teach that kind of comedic timing!

Last edited:
No basis for this statement. A Cirrus will land real nice in a big nose high attitude, and use a lot less runway than many seem to think. I would say there IS a need to do this. Lot fewer Cirrus drivers would have run off the end of the runway if they learned to approach and touch down slower.
+1. I flew with a guy and he was having problems landing his SR20. Problem was he was landing at 85 knots. First landing he did with me, he greased it because we approached a lot slower. The Cirrus isn't a challenging plane to fly. Fly it like you would any other plane and you'll be fine.

+ having problems landing his SR20. Problem was he was landing at 85 knots.

The SR20 over numbers speed is 78kts. Just make sure to level out at or a little under that speed and the plane will land correctly.

The SR20 over numbers speed is 78kts. Just make sure to level out at or a little under that speed and the plane will land correctly.

This. I end up pulling power to idle before the roundout instead of during like some of the training materials tell you. But if you're at 78-80 it'll be solid. Faster and you'll have a bigger float, higher chance of ballooning, etc.

By the way.. the Cirrus transition training program is awesome. You'll learn and get refreshed on a lots of areas. The course is well-structured and I think you'll enjoy it.

No basis? Really? You can fly your Cirri in dragging the tail if you want, but not this guy.
You must be misinterpreting something somewhere. The SR22 does not require any special technique. You should pass over the numbers with the power at idle and a speed which allows for a roundout, flare, and touchdown at stalling speed within a few hundred feet. Doing this, the airplane will have a nose high attitude.

If you drive it on, you're fast and flat.

Last edited:
You must be misinterpreting something somewhere. The SR22 does not require any special technique. You should pass over the numbers with the power at idle and a speech which allows for a roundout, flare, and touchdown at stalling speed within a few hundred feet. Doing this, the airplane will have a nose high attitude.

If you drive it on, you're fast and flat.
yup....in the Bonanza I just speech it on....and it goes. :D

f you drive it on, you're fast and flat.

The SR20 and SR22 may be landed if your approach is stable and your over numbers speed is correct cutting power just before over over the numbers.

The SR22T G5 and G6 is a heavier plane and has a large prop that acts like a wind dam. The over numbers speed for the SR22T is 80kts and you still need throttle. Once level then the throttle is slowly pulled out as you pull back the stick in the flare and bleed speed as the mains touch.

The stick needs to be held back until taxi speed is achieved or the castoring nose wheel may shutter.

...The stick needs to be held back until taxi speed is achieved or the castoring nose wheel may shutter.

So what happens above taxi speed up to rotation speed on take off?

No basis? Really?

Yep, really.

You can fly your Cirri in dragging the tail if you want, but not this guy.

I've never dragged the tail. It flies like a regular airplane, nothing special. Does not need to be landed flat. If that's your personal preference fine, but don't act like the airplane requires it. If you think it does, read through this thread and consider this a learning opportunity and go out and increase your skills in the Cirrus.

Starting Cirrus transition training on Avidyne G2 GTS with a CSIP instructor. Any pointers? Other than the usual AoA and pull the chute tips.

Most of my experience is with C172 and DA40(G1000)

Thanks.

Edit: SR22 G2 GTS .. that wasn't clear
Review materials on the Cirrus Aircraft Learning Portal. The landing standardization course is free and includes excellent video training materials. The flight portion you'll do with your CSIP. Some of the advice you've received on this thread is not consistent with the training material Cirrus spent a lot of effort to create. Learn to trim for and fly the speeds needed for downwind, base, and final. And learn to trim to hold speed and altitude.

Your CSIP will teach per the POH and the Flight Operations Manual. You should also use that material for home study.

The cockpit is set up for running flows for most checklists and they're described in the FOM. The iFOM you can download and is even better.

The electric trim just takes getting used to. Note that the grip on the side yoke is canted to the pilot's right. If you push forward on the hat switch for nose down trim, you're actually adding a little left aileron too. Forward is relative. Look at the grip and you'll see what I mean.

The circuit breaker panel diagram is on the back cover of the Pilots Abbreviated Checklist. Depending on the aircraft, a diagram may also be found in the checklist on the MFD. Ask your instructor to show you. It's used for addressing certain emergency and abnormal procedure issues, such as resetting an alternator CB or pulling breakers to stop runaway trim.

So what happens above taxi speed up to rotation speed on take off?

After landing you are using the brakes to slow and you are dissipating lift. The nosewheel may shutter if you have released the stick and are rolling fast.

On takeoff you are generating lift as you gain speed and should pull back on the stick slowly as you approach rotate speed alleviating pressure on the nosewheel.

I use the rudder to stay aligned on takeoff. Cirrus trains pilots to tap the toe-brakes until the plane gains enough speed to track the center line. I could never master that technique but have mastered using the rudder and slowly advancing the throttle instead.

It's really not that complicated. The plane gets to rotation speed in like 6 seconds. It's not some long complicated or difficult process.

It's really driving me nuts that "dont get slow" and "don't flare it like any other airplane" are being recommended.

If you can "drive it on," you're landing with too much speed. Plain and simple. The stick should be back against pitch limit stop and the stall horn chirping when the mains touch. Its an airplane and lands like one.

Agree 100%.

Doing this, the airplane will have a nose high attitude.

14175266199_f6be63ba5f_m.jpg

Flew the Cirrus today and experimented with landing speeds after reading this thread... Coming over the numbers right around 74-76 seemed to be the magic number, doing this the mains would touch with the stick full aft and right at stalling speed. Honestly it was pretty straightforward and is more stable than the Skyhawk... it's just a tad faster and sinks much faster if you pull the power to soon. Lightly loaded 19% power on final seemed right on.

Coming over the numbers right around 74-76 seemed to be the magic number, doing this the mains would touch with the stick full aft and right at stalling speed.

That's how I landed mine - I found it very similar to my previous Tiger.

80kts is not horrible, as long as you bleed it off in the roundout transition into ground effect. The dragons rear their ugly heads if you swoop into ground effect with extra speed - like any clean low-wing that can result in a LOT of float, and impatient pilots forcing the plane onto the ground fast can get in a lot of trouble.

Alright... I flew it. CAPS were not deployed!! The CSIP went for The Handle a few times, but I fought it off with my superior spinning abilities! ;);):)

At the risk of starting yet another debate, I like the plane. Easy to fly. Easy to land. Fast, comfy. I'd buy one if i could afford it. Need to get more comfortable with speeds, but it slows reasonably well when needed. I really didn't have much trouble hitting speeds i needed with correct power settings(% power display is great). I actually like the Avidyne almost better than G1000... Crappy resolution and Win98 style graphics, but very intuitive interface and more logical to 6-pack user. It almost feels like cheating flying this plane. It's really setup for the ease of use. Trim wasn't horrible. Better than other electric trims i've tried to use. AP(upgraded) and FD are really intuitive

It is an awesome plane, you will love it! I actually prefer the Avidyne as well

Back