Cirrus makes emergency landing on Highway

mulligan

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Mulligan
****Reposted from another site*****

Cirrus SR22, N606MF: Incident occurred November 11, 2016 in Marion County, South Carolina

MARION, SC (WBTW) – A single-engine Cirrus plane flying over the Gresham community in Marion County was forced to make an emergency landing on Highway 378 around 8:30 a.m. Friday, according to county officials.

Marion County Emergency Management Services Director Joey Price confirms a fire ignited on board the plane, forcing the pilot to land unexpectedly. There were three occupants on board, but no injuries were reported during the emergency landing. Price says once the plane was on the ground, the pilot was able to put the fire out with an extinguisher.

The plane was traveling from Mt. Pleasant to Raleigh, NC. Price explained to News13 that the plane is pulled from the highway, allowing vehicles to travel past.

It’s unknown what caused the fire, but Price says more details will be made available once emergency crews have a chance to investigate. The Federal Aviation Administration has been contacted.

Surprised he didn't pull the red handle so he had something to smother the fire. :) (Sorry, I had to)

In all the prior discussions here I hadn't thought of that serious dilemma. With a fire on board one would want to get on the ground as quickly as possible, but like any forced landing (I am presuming this was a voluntary engine shut down due to the leak or fire) there is considerable risk. The chute mitigates one risk, but I wonder if it heightens another due to the increased time to descend? Or is that time to descend really that much more (I have a vague recollection of reading somewhere the chute out descent rate being 1500 ft/min)?

Would be seriously interested in feedback from the experienced Cirrus owners/pilots here. What does the Cirrus training advocate to do for in-flight fire situations?

He got lucky. Look at those power lines. I don't fly a plane with a chute but in this case I would have used the chute. Why tempt fate?

Yeek!! The one thing worse than an engine failure. Excellent job on the pilots part!

In all the prior discussions here I hadn't thought of that serious dilemma. With a fire on board one would want to get on the ground as quickly as possible, but like any forced landing (I am presuming this was a voluntary engine shut down due to the leak or fire) there is considerable risk. The chute mitigates one risk, but I wonder if it heightens another due to the increased time to descend? Or is that time to descend really that much more (I have a vague recollection of reading somewhere the chute out descent rate being 1500 ft/min)?

Would be seriously interested in feedback from the experienced Cirrus owners/pilots here. What does the Cirrus training advocate to do for in-flight fire situations?
Same as any other plane. Suppress the fire and secure the engine. Except we have a third step and that's pull the chute.

what went horribly wrong?.....no chute deployment? :eek::popcorn:

Now....that's a skilled pilot. :yes::cheers:
bravo.gif

A friend had an in-flight fire from a fuel leak caused by a loose b-nut at mechanical pump outlet. The fire burnt through the bottom, through 1/4" brake lines and filled the cockpit with soot and smoke. He popped his gull-wing door to get fresh air and to see outside of his soot covered windshield. He went under power lines and landed hard in a wet field. The plane was totalled and he walked away with a burnt finger. An oil fire would be worse as it is difficult to stop the prop and oil pump in most planes. I would for sure want to get on the ground or into a lake asap with an oil fire, before all of that plastic starts burning.

You don't want to pull the chute when there's a fire in a Cirrus. Kudos to the pilot.

Why?

Don't you want to get on the ground and out of the plane as fast as possible?

Under the canopy you descend all the way down at 1500 fpm.

It will get you on the ground and stopped faster than a descent followed by leveling off, landing, and ground roll.

Plus, you don't crash due to being unable to see due to the smoke, if you are just riding under the canopy.

I think the pilot got lucky. I am happy he survived, but if I have a fire I intend to pull the chute.

Is that fact that they descend that quickly? I see someone above posting about a vague recollection, but no confirmation. If it's not true, then you have your answer.

I can descend 3-4 times that rate and would be a much better choice than hanging under a chute with a slight nose down attitude surrounded by plastic and 100LL.

Why?

It will get you on the ground and stopped faster than a descent followed by leveling off, landing, and ground roll.

Plus, you don't crash due to being unable to see due to the smoke, if you are just riding under the canopy.

I think the pilot got lucky. I am happy he survived, but if I have a fire I intend to pull the chute.

There was video posted a couple of years ago, about the time Cirrus starting really pushing the "pull early and pull often" training, of a burning Cirrus floating down, fully engulfed in flames. No one reached 1000' agl alive, maybe not even 5000' agl. The cockpit was completely covered in flame, but the shrouds didn't burn through.

I can get 2500 fpm or more at cruise speed, 45-50°bank--the plane just falls smoothly out of the sky, in complete control, then set her down somewhere. Much quicker than floating gently out of the sky in a ball of fire . . .

There was video posted a couple of years ago, about the time Cirrus starting really pushing the "pull early and pull often" training, of a burning Cirrus floating down, fully engulfed in flames. No one reached 1000' agl alive, maybe not even 5000' agl. The cockpit was completely covered in flame, but the shrouds didn't burn through.

That's the reason.

Why?

You wouldn't worry about what happens if the fire spreads to the stuff you're hanging under?

He got lucky. Look at those power lines. I don't fly a plane with a chute but in this case I would have used the chute. Why tempt fate?
On fire and drifting down under the canopy?

Good ADM and fine landing. Excellent job avoiding the overhead wires and they all walked away safely. Wonder if the plane can be repaired to fly again? Fire damage doesn't look too bad from the outside.

As a Cirrus pilot (former SR22 owner and current renter), and one who flies other aircraft without CAPS, if faced with this situation at altitude, I would do a steep spiral dive to hopefully blow out the fire, and then maybe pull the chute @ 1000AGL if no suitable landing site is available. The thought of descending @ 1700FPM with no control and a fire scares me. Hope to never face such an emergency, and cannot imagine the stress on this pilot. He did a good job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow it sure does look like a lot of engine problems in Cirrus.

If on fire you pull the chute now you are in a no wind situation with the flames going up. I'd be afraid of the shrouds burning through and then what happens? If the fire is in the engine area I believe the shrouds are attached just behind the pilot's seat (someone who knows the plane correct me) so might be OK then. But when your plane is on fire you DEFINITELY want to get the bird on the ground as soon as possible!!! Been there & I've got the Tshirt.

I have been on fire, but on the ground. If it ever happens in the air, I going to put that airplane on the ground. Not waiting for a 'chute to slowly and gently lower me to the ground unless the wings are missing.

^^^^ Yep, that's the video I mentioned above. Don't pop the chute if you're on fire until you're down low and decide you can't land.

Why?

1. Consider installing this fire suppression system. http://pmfiresystems.com

2. You can train to do an emergency descent (I've trained to fly a 45 degree bank barber pole), and don't waste time trying to line up for an emergency landing. The chute gives you a faster option to get on the ground and out of a burning aircraft. The barber pole descent loses a sh**load of altitude in a hurry and you time the chute pull to minimize your exposure time to the fire. Level out at 1,000 AGL, and pull the chute. In a G3 and earlier it descends at 1,700 fpm under canopy. Newer G5 models have a large chute and descend a little slower. Training video posted here where pilot flew test profiles at 45 and 60 degrees of bank and tested time to land vs simulated chute pull. It may start in the middle, so start at 18:30 into the video for the set-up and first profile:

3. If you fly aircraft without a chute, then as you were. Train for what you fly. But, if you have a chute-equipped aircraft it pays to know all your safety equipment and put some time into scenario-based emergency training so you're prepared to execute the proper actions for maximizing your chances of a successful outcome when things go TU.

Fly safe!

Last edited:
^^^^ Yep, that's the video I mentioned above. Don't pop the chute if you're on fire until you're down low and decide you can't land.

Judging by the amount of black smoke it appears the composite airframe may have ignited, or surfaces of it are smouldering?

Expellant job done by the pilot. Glad everyone was able to walk away. I had a transponder let all the smoke out of the circuit boards in flight. That sure got my attention..

Last edited:
Back