choosing a cfi

ok so i must not fly through a storm because of ice but how do people fly if the weather is not perfect that is what i need to know

Walk, drive or ride the airlines. Seriously, flying light aircraft is not something you can do in all conditions. Part of your training will be to help you learn what you can and cannot fly in. All the instrument rating did was add to my list of conditions that say "drive". Well, it did add some conditions that I can fly in, but I watch the weather for more details now than I did before I got the IR.

So....
You are way ahead of yourself.

I got my cert and I am visual flight rules only. I don't fly through clouds, bad weather and certainly not thunderstorms.

Even a little rain can be a problem especially if you go through a freezing layer.
There is another pilot that shared a story on here about flying through freezing rain.
Didn't see it coming. You can tell just by the reaction of other pilots that it is a significant deal.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68055

For your mission, you are better off dealing with TSA and flying commercial.
If you want to fly as a hobby, then I'd say you got to start at square one which is talking to an instructor or local pilot and having a long conversation about what you can and cant do and why, etc.

Excellent advice here.

Best of luck and have fun learning to fly.

Every other FBO around here seems to have an instructor and an airplane for rent. I've flown with several different instructors. My favorites have been the retiree CFIs... older guys who used to be in the air force or some other professional career and are now teaching for fun/a few extra bucks. YMMV. Most of the younger ones I've met are building hours towards some future professional career.

One other suggestion I would have is if you start, try to fly as frequently as you can. You learn faster that way and if a month goes by between lessons(with VFR weather requirements and the reality of schedules this can EASILY happen) you do end up loosing some progress.

Possibly but maybe we meet somewhere and grab a bite before hopping in a plane.
You have a lot of questions that need to be addressed before you go flying.

At a minimum, I would urge you to get on the phone with a CFI and talk through some of this.

I just PM'd you phone number of a CFI I know in Granbury that is very patient and will help you talk through some of this.

Do the reading, Talk to an instructor, and then we can see about maybe meeting up. After getting your questions addressed you may find that this is not the best route.

Or I could be wrong but baby steps at this point.

bryan many thanks for the information i am serious about aviation and know it is something i will enjoy i have found a school called TEXAS AERO in waco regional atc that i will phone and most hopefully begin my aviation is it after this discovery flight that you would be interested in eating talking and then flying with me

it is my wish that once i become a solo pilot that i can make the trip 3 times a month
Student solos to Canada are not permitted. You won't be able to make that trip until you get your Private Pilot certificate.

Again, go read that Learn to Fly link.

i am reading the link and i am sorry for the questions if they annoy you it would be much faster if i could call someone i sincerly want to learn about the general aviation i will finish reading the link and get a better underanding sorry
Find your local flight school and call them to arrange an appointment. Go in to meet them and they should be happy to sit down and answer all your questions.

(this is starting to smell like a freshly baked Tango roll)

Yeah, memories of papyrus, tape recordings, and trouser zippers are coming back....

Yeah, memories of papyrus, tape recordings, and trouser zippers are coming back....

Complete with a political quote in his sig:

"If the people cannot trust their government to do the job for which it exists - to protect them and to promote their common welfare - all else is lost."

Barack Obama

Go easy on him. He sounds like a foreign student, muslim probably, who wants to learn how to fly and is a little clueless.

I think Bryan should meet him and talk through the various options with him.

great news friends bryan from this website has contacted me with the pm on this website and has agreed to meet and fly with me i will report more at that time

great news friends bryan from this website has contacted me with the pm on this website and has agreed to meet and fly with me i will report more at that time

That's great. Please post pictures.

Back